I can't believe he said that to me

Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yeah, see here's the thing...it's not fair to get mad at a kid for doing what he has been taught is acceptable. So don't take it personally or immediately connect personal characteristics to the behavior (like rude or spoiled)

Instead, teach him that this is not the way you ask WHEN YOU ARE SPEAKING TO ME. Reward and show gratitude for appropriate behavior. And withhold pizza rolls until he gets there.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nopeville wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 pm
Emmasmom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:59 pm
Nopeville wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:57 pm I would have probably started laughing and said, nice try kid. Then, sent him to a timeout until he could be respectful. You got to wonder where he's learned that crap. When my youngest was about that age, she was banned from watching the sitcoms on the Disney channel, because the kids on the shows were brats and she thought she could act like them. Umm, no.
I was shocked because thats not usually him.
You might want to ask the parents what he's watching on TV. Most kids are getting a lot more screen time than normal right now and it can totally affect their behavior.
Excellent point! Especially those Disney shows...such garbage!!!
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:45 pm So what was your response OP?
I told him I was the adult, he is the child and I put him in the corner.
Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:53 pm Yeah, see here's the thing...it's not fair to get mad at a kid for doing what he has been taught is acceptable. So don't take it personally or immediately connect personal characteristics to the behavior (like rude or spoiled)

Instead, teach him that this is not the way you ask WHEN YOU ARE SPEAKING TO ME. Reward and show gratitude for appropriate behavior. And withhold pizza rolls until he gets there.
hes not been taught that. I dont know where you got that from. I'm not asking parenting advice either. I knew how to handle it and did handle it. I was just stunned that he said that to me. He didn't get any pizza rolls for the day and he spent time in the corner. After he got out of the corner, he was much better acting.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 pm
Emmasmom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:41 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:35 pm I've discovered when kids are at my house a lot they test their limits with me just like they would their parents. Are the parents ok with you disciplining him?
yeah they are and I did. He went right into the corner
An 8 year old is too old for timeout.
Eight years old is definitely not too old for time-out. Time-out is good right up to 13 years old. For adults in sports it's called the penalty box. I put my oldest in time-out once for 45 minutes when she was 13. That is a good amount of reflection time.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:54 pm
Nopeville wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 pm
Emmasmom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:59 pm

I was shocked because thats not usually him.
You might want to ask the parents what he's watching on TV. Most kids are getting a lot more screen time than normal right now and it can totally affect their behavior.
Excellent point! Especially those Disney shows...such garbage!!!
Garbage in - garbage out! The thing is I could never say that looking in a mirror as a parent because I am as guilty as everyone.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:53 pm Yeah, see here's the thing...it's not fair to get mad at a kid for doing what he has been taught is acceptable. So don't take it personally or immediately connect personal characteristics to the behavior (like rude or spoiled)

Honest question - do you punish your children if they mouth off to you in a clever way? That’s not what the child in the OP did, but I would be a hypocrite if I punished my children for having smart mouths.

A few weeks ago my older son was complaining about how both he and his younger brother (6 years younger!!!!) committed the same offense and he got in trouble while YDS did not.

My response was “you’re absolutely right. You got in trouble and your brother didn’t because your dad and I love him more. It had nothing to do with the fact that you’re six years older than him and should have known better.”
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

"I think you need to remember who's in charge. Time out. Now."
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Honest question - do you punish your children if they mouth off to you in a clever way? That’s not what the child in the OP did, but I would be a hypocrite if I punished my children for having smart mouths.

A few weeks ago my older son was complaining about how both he and his younger brother (6 years younger!!!!) committed the same offense and he got in trouble while YDS did not.

My response was “you’re absolutely right. You got in trouble and your brother didn’t because your dad and I love him more. It had nothing to do with the fact that you’re six years older than him and should have known better.”
Honest answer...they were older than this kid when any experimentation into "smartmouthing" occurred...old enough to be actually funny. And if you're actually funny, all is forgiven.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Emmasmom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:02 pm

hes not been taught that. I dont know where you got that from. I'm not asking parenting advice either. I knew how to handle it and did handle it. I was just stunned that he said that to me. He didn't get any pizza rolls for the day and he spent time in the corner. After he got out of the corner, he was much better acting.
I think I was reacting to the replies more than anything...seems a bunch of people here would have stopped the world and kicked him off. As for not being taught that...do you hang out with Mom and Dad? Or just Mom? Because my image was of Dad standing in exactly that spot and saying those words. And THAT is how you teach a kid it's okay.

Although the seeing it on TV idea also has a lot of merit. If he's been exposed to media in which people behave this way and are rewarded, even if only with a canned laugh track, it's enough to encourage the kid to give it a go.
Locked Previous topicNext topic