Wood stove?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Do you have one? One of the places I looked at to rent, one of the biggest problems I have with the place is it is only heated by a wood stove. I hate the smell of smoke, so this would be an issue. If you have one, do you have to smell smoke regularly? Is running it hard to deal with?

Does anyone know of any other suggestions for alternative heat if I didn't want to use the stove since the place doesn't have regularing heating?

Any info would be welcome. Thanks.
Ivegotrhythm
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

You'd have to use space heaters. There are some really good ones but be prepared for the electric bill.

My experience with wood heaters and pellet stoves are that they are a lot of work and I don't feel safe with them being unsupervised for long periods. That's just me. I've done it but I was a sahm and it felt like a full time job.

I honestly think they are better for supplemental heat ( to reduce fuel cost) rather than a primary source of heat.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I grew up with wood stoves being our only heat source. It didn't really smell like smoke but it makes the air dry and its so cold in the morning. I also suggest a lot of fans to blow the hot air into other rooms.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Ivegotrhythm wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:16 am You'd have to use space heaters. There are some really good ones but be prepared for the electric bill.

My experience with wood heaters and pellet stoves are that they are a lot of work and I don't feel safe with them being unsupervised for long periods. That's just me.

I honestly think they are better for supplementary heat ( to reduce fuel cost) rather than a primary source of heat.
See? That's an issue too. I work long hours. I'm looking at this place to rent because I'm getting divorced, so I'd basically be coming home to a cold house because it'd just be me, unless I could set up a timer or have some sort of electric heaters with thermostat controls or something.
Ivegotrhythm
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:24 am
Ivegotrhythm wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:16 am You'd have to use space heaters. There are some really good ones but be prepared for the electric bill.

My experience with wood heaters and pellet stoves are that they are a lot of work and I don't feel safe with them being unsupervised for long periods. That's just me.

I honestly think they are better for supplementary heat ( to reduce fuel cost) rather than a primary source of heat.
See? That's an issue too. I work long hours. I'm looking at this place to rent because I'm getting divorced, so I'd basically be coming home to a cold house because it'd just be me, unless I could set up a timer or have some sort of electric heaters with thermostat controls or something.
I don't know what size of space you are looking at to heat but there are really good and safe space heaters.

But dear lord the electric bill...
Anonymous 3

Unread post

How old is this place? I looked at a few places up north and they had a furnace and wood stoves.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You could consider a decent space heater for when you’re not home and use the stove when you are.

We use space heaters, in Idaho, as our heat source in the winter. It was a oil- electric combination but when oil got crazy expensive we started using space heaters and never looked back. We are all electric so our bill is always high but it’s not any higher then us running AC in the summer.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have had them before, but not in this home. If they are installed and used properly there shouldn't be a smoke smell in the house. What other types of alternative heating would depend much upon where you live.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

We have two fireplaces. One was converted to gas already when we bought the house. The other one we converted to gas ourselves. I prefer that so much more to burning firewood. The gas fireplaces put out more heat.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I love wood heat. It is so warm. I grew up with a wood stove. It kept out big farm house warm. We learned young how to add wood and keep the fire going. I wish I had one.
Locked Previous topicNext topic