Poll - Are you starting to allow your children to see friends again?

Are you allowing your children to start seeing friends again?

Hell no, are you crazy?
21%
No, but I’m thinking about it
9%
Yes, as long as they’re 6 ft apart
12%
Yes, we started recently with no restrictions
53%
Yes, they never stopped seeing friends
6%

Total votes: 34
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I know my granddaughter has been allowed to have a friend over. They know the friend's family, and the girls go swimming and do crafts but aren't all up in each other's spaces or faces.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:37 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 am

Where exactly did I in any way suggest that I would allow my kids to go "loot, murder, and burn things down"? Nowhere. We have in the past gone to protests with our kids. There is nothing illegal about that. We are not going right now since we are social distancing. The protestors and rioters have not been murdering anyone, so I don't even know where you are pulling that from.
This is not the first pandemic or even the first coronavirus epidemic. 1918 influenza, SARS, MERS, none of them ended with a vaccine. They ended because people social distanced and followed safety rules long enough to get the infection rate under control.
This is the first time that more than 99% of the people in the US have experienced anything like this. And suggesting that allowing your child to see a friend, whose family you presumably know well and who has also been sheltering in place for more than 2 months, definitely does not entail the same risk has flooding city streets with 1000s of other people that you don’t know. Suggesting that it does is absolutely ludicrous.

As for murders, they announced on NPR that at least two people had been killed during the riots, and many more hospitalized. For the record, I have no issue with peaceful protests, but I feel awful for those in big cities right now that have to deal with fear of the violence and destructiveness of these riots in addition to continuing Covid19 fears and limitations.
Unless you know for a fact that that family has not left their house in two months, as in no grocery shopping, everything that enters the house is sterilized, it is still taking the risk of spreading the virus. People aren't just letting their kids play with one friend they know very well. People are going to beaches, to restaurants, etc. and refusing to wear masks. In a poll given on here yesterday, half of the responders said their kids are free to go play with all of their friends, zero restrictions. But when they post about that, all of the replies say "well, we have to get back to normal some time", but when it's protesting the murder of a man, it's "their spreading the virus!"

The two people who died were not killed by protestors or rioters. One of the people killed was a protester and was shot in a driveby shooting. The other was a security guard who was killed after a person pulled up in their car and shot him. As for those hospitalized, the violence has been going both ways. Some were harmed by rioters and some were completely necessarily injured by police.
I definitely recall that a federal officer was killed somewhere in California.

To address the rest of your comments, I live in a town of 20k on the outskirts of a hotspot. If I had to guess, the average lot size in my town is 2 acres. Every mom I know is now shopping exclusively at our local, independently owned grocery store and our local farm market (Saturday only). Both are sanitizing regularly, require masks, enforce one shopper per household, require social distancing, etc. There were no mass gatherings over Memorial Day Weekend in my state, and in fact, they relaxed restrictions around gatherings to allow 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors (more with social distancing in place).

My children can see friends at this point while we follow the rules. I’m definitely not rushing out to eat at a restaurant, but I’m no longer treating my takeout as biohazard waste either. At some point we need to get back to something approaching normal.

As for George Floyd, I seriously have no idea why anyone needs to protest this. Everyone agrees that he was murdered in cold blood, that it’s disgusting, and hopefully the officer that did it will wind up in the general prison population while serving life without parole. This isn’t a situation where someone is arguing that the force an officer used was reasonable. I truly don’t understand.

A police officer using his authority to murder someone is absolutely revolting no matter that person’s race. We need to make sure that doesn’t happen to anyone of any race ever again.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

stilltfez wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm I know my granddaughter has been allowed to have a friend over. They know the friend's family, and the girls go swimming and do crafts but aren't all up in each other's spaces or faces.
How old is your granddaughter? I’m aching to have a play date for my preschool aged child, but I worry it would be more traumatic than helpful.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Nope
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Our "kids" are 17 and 23 year olds. The 17 year old, we support what he and his friends feel comfortable with. So far that is phone communication only but will most likely lead to meeting in the part (social distancing) and we are okay with that. Our 23 year old doesn't live with us so we have no control. She has been practicing social distancing so we're not terribly worried.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 5

Unread post

No. I’d consider it in an outdoor area with reasonable distancing since cases in our area have been low, but I’m still hesitant.
Momto1son
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes. Yesterday we took a friend with us to Mini-golf. My son swam at thier house after.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 pm
stilltfez wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm I know my granddaughter has been allowed to have a friend over. They know the friend's family, and the girls go swimming and do crafts but aren't all up in each other's spaces or faces.
How old is your granddaughter? I’m aching to have a play date for my preschool aged child, but I worry it would be more traumatic than helpful.

She's 11 and her Mom is a nurse and she fully understands the reality of Covid.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DS15 had a pool party before they left the state. The kids all stayed outside except for the bathroom accessible directly from outside. We monitored his invites to make sure the number stayed below 10. I think there were 6 plus DS.

They'll be back late June and then school starts up first week of August. During the month of July I'm sure they'll get together again a time or two. We don't know yet exactly what school startup will look like but apparently our Governor (Arizona) has said kids will be back in school.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes we do. We live in a area with over 1 million people, and total active cases are 159. We had 8 over Saturday and Sunday and 6 of those were LTC homes. DS has played football and road hockey with some friends they keep it under 5 people.
Locked Previous topicNext topic