Poll - Are you starting to allow your children to see friends again?

Are you allowing your children to start seeing friends again?

Hell no, are you crazy?
21%
No, but I’m thinking about it
9%
Yes, as long as they’re 6 ft apart
12%
Yes, we started recently with no restrictions
53%
Yes, they never stopped seeing friends
6%

Total votes: 34
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes. She went to the lagoon and a sleep over last night.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:25 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:14 am To put it into perspective, my husband was going at this with someone yesterday. Statistics: From Thursday to Friday, there were five cases of COVID-19 here over an area population of 1.6 million. Two of those cases were community infections, the other three shelters, residences, etc. During that same time there were 14 car accidents that resulted in injuries.

Statistically, last Friday, we had a seven times greater chance of being injured in a car accident than getting sick from COVID-19.
Must be nice.. here in GA it is jacked up. I have been tracking this for the last couple of weeks.. In my county alone, the count has gone up. A few weeks ago, we had 600 people infected out of 234,000.. It has gone up almost 90 people in the past two weeks, with now 22 deaths and 89 people in the 216 person bed hospital. That is 19 people fewer than half the hospital. My state has almost 47,000 people confirmed and over 2000 deaths. It is still rampaging and yet people are going nuts with get togethers. On Memorial Day, one of our neighbors had a huge party...there were 12 cars parked in the road at their house. *sigh*
Canada reacted very early in the pandemic. In the middle of February the Canadian government officially recognized that this was a quickly emerging problem and recognized it for the seriousness it is. On March 11, Canada went into lockdown. Because of that, today we are seeing a significant drop across the country with some regions being declared COVID-19 free - for the time being (first wave). It was only last weekend that parks were opened in a limited capacity. Generally, Canada's infection rate was one fifth of the U.S. rate directly due to acknowledgment and early action. We don't get many things right here, but we seem to have done well with this.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 pm Heck no. The virus is far from gone and letting them go hang out with friends would make everything that we have done in the past to stay safe completely pointless. I have seen many replies on this site in the past 24 hours pointing fingers at protesters, saying that they will cause a second wave, but just look at the numbers saying they are letting their kids go hang out with friends no problem.
Are you suggesting that you would allow your kids to go loot, murder, and burn things down but letting them visit with friends is outrageous?

Most of us have been sheltering in place and social distancing for at least 10 weeks. And the reality is that any vaccine they come up with is going to be as ineffective as the flu vaccine and a very substantial percentage of the people that were going to die of Covid19 are simply going to die a bit later. This is not going to be like a polio or measles vaccine where the illness is eradicated, and I honestly think scientists need to announce that very loudly in the mainstream media rather than quietly talking about it in scientific journals.
Where exactly did I in any way suggest that I would allow my kids to go "loot, murder, and burn things down"? Nowhere. We have in the past gone to protests with our kids. There is nothing illegal about that. We are not going right now since we are social distancing. The protestors and rioters have not been murdering anyone, so I don't even know where you are pulling that from.
This is not the first pandemic or even the first coronavirus epidemic. 1918 influenza, SARS, MERS, none of them ended with a vaccine. They ended because people social distanced and followed safety rules long enough to get the infection rate under control.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Yep we just dropped DD 13 off at the beach to hang with 4 other girls for the day.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:13 pm Yep we just dropped DD 13 off at the beach to hang with 4 other girls for the day.
We did the same with our young teen yesterday, but at a friend's place. I didn't want them hugging or sharing the same plate or bowl of anything, but she went, hung out, stayed for supper and we picked her up. We have to live too. Statistically, we had a greater chance of being in a car accident on the way there and back than her coming in contact with the virus.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We just had a baseball game yesterday, so I guess the floodgates are open.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 pm Heck no. The virus is far from gone and letting them go hang out with friends would make everything that we have done in the past to stay safe completely pointless. I have seen many replies on this site in the past 24 hours pointing fingers at protesters, saying that they will cause a second wave, but just look at the numbers saying they are letting their kids go hang out with friends no problem.
Are you suggesting that you would allow your kids to go loot, murder, and burn things down but letting them visit with friends is outrageous?

Most of us have been sheltering in place and social distancing for at least 10 weeks. And the reality is that any vaccine they come up with is going to be as ineffective as the flu vaccine and a very substantial percentage of the people that were going to die of Covid19 are simply going to die a bit later. This is not going to be like a polio or measles vaccine where the illness is eradicated, and I honestly think scientists need to announce that very loudly in the mainstream media rather than quietly talking about it in scientific journals.
Where exactly did I in any way suggest that I would allow my kids to go "loot, murder, and burn things down"? Nowhere. We have in the past gone to protests with our kids. There is nothing illegal about that. We are not going right now since we are social distancing. The protestors and rioters have not been murdering anyone, so I don't even know where you are pulling that from.
This is not the first pandemic or even the first coronavirus epidemic. 1918 influenza, SARS, MERS, none of them ended with a vaccine. They ended because people social distanced and followed safety rules long enough to get the infection rate under control.
This is the first time that more than 99% of the people in the US have experienced anything like this. And suggesting that allowing your child to see a friend, whose family you presumably know well and who has also been sheltering in place for more than 2 months, definitely does not entail the same risk has flooding city streets with 1000s of other people that you don’t know. Suggesting that it does is absolutely ludicrous.

As for murders, they announced on NPR that at least two people had been killed during the riots, and many more hospitalized. For the record, I have no issue with peaceful protests, but I feel awful for those in big cities right now that have to deal with fear of the violence and destructiveness of these riots in addition to continuing Covid19 fears and limitations.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I let my dd go upstate this weekend with her boyfriend and his mom and little brother to visit one of the moms friends. the boyfriends family have been even more quarantined than she has been. Because she does go to the store for me sometimes her and I have been distancing when she's home which we will continue when she gets home.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:37 pm

This is the first time that more than 99% of the people in the US have experienced anything like this. And suggesting that allowing your child to see a friend, whose family you presumably know well and who has also been sheltering in place for more than 2 months, definitely does not entail the same risk has flooding city streets with 1000s of other people that you don’t know. Suggesting that it does is absolutely ludicrous.

As for murders, they announced on NPR that at least two people had been killed during the riots, and many more hospitalized. For the record, I have no issue with peaceful protests, but I feel awful for those in big cities right now that have to deal with fear of the violence and destructiveness of these riots in addition to continuing Covid19 fears and limitations.
Unless you know for a fact that that family has not left their house in two months, as in no grocery shopping, everything that enters the house is sterilized, it is still taking the risk of spreading the virus. People aren't just letting their kids play with one friend they know very well. People are going to beaches, to restaurants, etc. and refusing to wear masks. In a poll given on here yesterday, half of the responders said their kids are free to go play with all of their friends, zero restrictions. But when they post about that, all of the replies say "well, we have to get back to normal some time", but when it's protesting the murder of a man, it's "their spreading the virus!"

The two people who died were not killed by protestors or rioters. One of the people killed was a protester and was shot in a driveby shooting. The other was a security guard who was killed after a person pulled up in their car and shot him. As for those hospitalized, the violence has been going both ways. Some were harmed by rioters and some were completely necessarily injured by police.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

What kids could Lena's offspring play with? They are allegedly on Old McDonalds hobby farm with chickens, goats, cows and horse. I suppose they could play with the children of the corn🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🐳🐋🐬🐟🐖🐐🐓🐤🐮 🏇
Locked Previous topicNext topic