Do gifted students need special education services and/or special schools to meet their specific educational needs?

Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

?
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Classes yes, special school locations no.

My oldest tested gifted last year. While in school he is pulled for several hours a day along with 3 other classmates to meet their advanced needs. Now with remote learning he is given the same materials as every other second grader and is blowing through it in less than 30 minutes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes they do, but my general view on children who have special needs of any kind is that their parents should be required to contribute to funding that to the extent they are able.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Although I greatly appreciate the time & attention of his IEP, my child with high abilities, he does not "need" special educational services, in the same manner than his younger brother who has a learning disability needs special education services. The former is helpful & entertaining. The latter is a matter of independence vs. being dependent life-long.

So if the funding if available, I am support IEPs for gifted students, however, I am actually against special schools for gifted individuals, as following social norms & high EQ is actually a better predictor of success in society, over IQ. They learn this when they are mainstreamed with people who think differently than they do.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:02 pm Classes yes, special school locations no.

My oldest tested gifted last year. While in school he is pulled for several hours a day along with 3 other classmates to meet their advanced needs. Now with remote learning he is given the same materials as every other second grader and is blowing through it in less than 30 minutes.
Did you have him tested as part of an overall evaluation? Was he having difficulty functioning before his pullout services began?
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 pm Although I greatly appreciate the time & attention of his IEP, my child with high abilities, he does not "need" special educational services, in the same manner than his younger brother who has a learning disability needs special education services. The former is helpful & entertaining. The latter is a matter independence vs. being dependent life-long.

So if the funding if available, I am support IEPs for gifted students, however, I am actually against special schools for gifted individuals, as following social norms & high EQ is actually a better predictor of success in society, over IQ. They learn this when they are mainstreamed with people who think differently than they do.
That's very interesting...there is a population of high IQ students who cannot be successful in the general ed setting and actually do "need" an alternative setting. You're the first person I've spoken with who has come right out and said that their high ability child does not need gifted classes
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm Yes they do, but my general view on children who have special needs of any kind is that their parents should be required to contribute to funding that to the extent they are able.
Lol...that was my third choice for my presentation topic. First choice was over-representation of minorities in special ed. Oh well.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The special ed coordinator at my son's school feels that all students should get some sort of IEP and I don't disagree. The best path to success for all learners should be individualized.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:32 pm The special ed coordinator at my son's school feels that all students should get some sort of IEP and I don't disagree. The best path to success for all learners should be individualized.
In order to achieve individualized instruction for all students, class size in general ed has to go down to special ed levels. Gimme a class with only 10 kids in it plus a skilled teaching assistant and I'll individualize that shit all up one side and down the other!
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My daughter is gifted and she has anxiety. She gets extra time for tests and sometimes to finish assignments. She attended a small high school so she wouldn't get lost in the crowd and she's going to a small university now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic