Should he have been convicted?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I was watching Accused: Guilty Or Innocent? And this case came on about a guy who caused an accident by going over the line. Someone died in the accident.

It was found that he was not under the influence of any drugs. He did take morphine the day before but the amount in his system was not enough to impair anyone according to a medical expert. There was barely any in his system at that point and he did have a script for it. It was also found that he was not using his cell phone or distracted in any way, and he had no criminal record or driving offenses prior.

For some reason he was charged with manslaughter which I did not understand. That to me is intentionally murdering someone. This guy accidentally went over and caused a death. It was not on purpose.

He was found not guilty but had he been charged with involuntary manslaughter it may have come out differently. Because he did not intentionally cause a death. It was involuntary so I think he would be guilty of that.

It was just a terrible situation all around but if I was on the jury I wouldn't have convicted him either.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Manslaughter-the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

The charges against him were what was called for according to the definition of it.

He killed someone because he did not pay attention to his position in the lane on the road. Was it accidental? Probably, but he was still not paying attention while driving and caused an accident.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:39 pm Manslaughter-the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

The charges against him were what was called for according to the definition of it.

He killed someone because he did not pay attention to his position in the lane on the road. Was it accidental? Probably, but he was still not paying attention while driving and caused an accident.
Agreed.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:39 pm Manslaughter-the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

Yep, all of this
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yep.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Vehicular manslaughter. He should have been charged. Whatever he was doing, he wasn't paying attention, and someone lost their life because of it. That person can't have their life back, and their family can't have them back. He should pay for that.

MomOfTwoBugs
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I watched the show as well and the accident investigators could not prove 100% that he was the on the crossed the line. Based on where the cars landed it could have been either car that crossed the line. Road conditions were also taken into account. He was charged because the family of the person who died insisted on it. It was an accident.

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 pm I was watching Accused: Guilty Or Innocent? And this case came on about a guy who caused an accident by going over the line. Someone died in the accident.

It was found that he was not under the influence of any drugs. He did take morphine the day before but the amount in his system was not enough to impair anyone according to a medical expert. There was barely any in his system at that point and he did have a script for it. It was also found that he was not using his cell phone or distracted in any way, and he had no criminal record or driving offenses prior.

For some reason he was charged with manslaughter which I did not understand. That to me is intentionally murdering someone. This guy accidentally went over and caused a death. It was not on purpose.

He was found not guilty but had he been charged with involuntary manslaughter it may have come out differently. Because he did not intentionally cause a death. It was involuntary so I think he would be guilty of that.

It was just a terrible situation all around but if I was on the jury I wouldn't have convicted him either.
I feel like this is a spin off of the other thread.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Someone is dead because of his carelessness. It doesn't matter that he didn't mean to do what he did. He did it and there is a consequence for that. Driving is serious and it's too bad a lot of people don't seem to grasp that.
Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MomOfTwoBugs wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 am I watched the show as well and the accident investigators could not prove 100% that he was the on the crossed the line. Based on where the cars landed it could have been either car that crossed the line. Road conditions were also taken into account. He was charged because the family of the person who died insisted on it. It was an accident.

Oh the OP left out a big part of the story then.
Locked Previous topicNext topic