Bratty... 🙄

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My friend was telling me about something her DD did, and all I could think was, what a brat.

Her DD is 18 and has a car to drive that her parents pay for and insure. Her mother asked her to drive her little sister to a friend’s house (about 4 miles away), and she asked her mom if she was going to give her gas money for it. My friend blew up at her. Honestly I don’t blame her. Kid’s a brat when her parents are paying for all things car-related, and she can’t even drop off her sister a few miles away without asking for reimbursement? Ridiculous.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Certainly sounds that way at first read, I certainly would not be pleased with my child if they did this...but you know 18-year-olds sometimes make bad impulsive decisions as they can be pretty egocentric as they transition to adulthood, just growing pains, but still they are good people. My children have an occasional bratty moment, but if you look at their overall behavior, the scale tips to them being really good kids, at least, so far.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Eh.. everyone has their moments..even teens. I had to pay for my own gas, insurance, etc for my car when I was that age. I probably would have asked as well back then since I worked for 4.75/hour.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:50 pm Eh.. everyone has their moments..even teens. I had to pay for my own gas, insurance, etc for my car when I was that age. I probably would have asked as well back then since I worked for 4.75/hour.
For a few miles? Considering her parents are paying hundreds of dollars a month for her car, it’s extremely disrespectful.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

When I was a teenager, I drove my younger siblings everywhere. Tbh, there were times that it got to be a lot for me. Could it be that the teen is asking for gas money simply because she's tired of playing taxi?

Simple Solution: Parent charges the DD18 to insure her own car & pay for her own gas. DD18 exercises her right to act as taxi when she can.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm When I was a teenager, I drove my younger siblings everywhere. Tbh, there were times that it got to be a lot for me. Could it be that the teen is asking for gas money simply because she's tired of playing taxi?

Simple Solution: Parent charges the DD18 to insure her own car & pay for her own gas. DD18 exercises her right to act as taxi when she can.
Nope, her mom rarely ever asks her to drive her sister. I agree with your solution though.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:50 pm Eh.. everyone has their moments..even teens. I had to pay for my own gas, insurance, etc for my car when I was that age. I probably would have asked as well back then since I worked for 4.75/hour.
For a few miles? Considering her parents are paying hundreds of dollars a month for her car, it’s extremely disrespectful.
Yep.. because as teens they don't think in terms of what a few miles actually costs. All they know is their parent is asking them to drive their sibling somewhere and using the gas in the vehicle. It's a fair question IMO.. does it make sense as an adult as it is a negligible amount of money/gas? Nah..however, as a teen that does not think in terms of those things like we do, I would not see it as disrespectful at all. I would say no, but explain why- the cost of gas and how much would be used would be around a dollar if that. I have found that if you take the time to explain it rather than get bent out of shape and immediately think the worst, kids/teens will better understand how things really work in life.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm
Yep.. because as teens they don't think in terms of what a few miles actually costs. All they know is their parent is asking them to drive their sibling somewhere and using the gas in the vehicle. It's a fair question IMO.. does it make sense as an adult as it is a negligible amount of money/gas? Nah..however, as a teen that does not think in terms of those things like we do, I would not see it as disrespectful at all. I would say no, but explain why- the cost of gas and how much would be used would be around a dollar if that. I have found that if you take the time to explain it rather than get bent out of shape and immediately think the worst, kids/teens will better understand how things really work in life.
Well, it’s her kid and I won’t judge her parenting or blame her for how she chose to handle the situation. They spend hundreds on her car a month. That’s honestly the least she can do in return. I can’t believe anyone would be ok with raising a kid who can’t even drive their sibling 5 mins away and is that worried about those 2 or 3 bucks when their parents pay for everything they have.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I think every member of a family should be expected to contribute to the family.

I also think there has to be reciprocal respect between the parent and the young adult. Just as a young adult should understand that she won't always get what she wants, an adult should understand, too.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:58 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm When I was a teenager, I drove my younger siblings everywhere. Tbh, there were times that it got to be a lot for me. Could it be that the teen is asking for gas money simply because she's tired of playing taxi?

Nope, her mom rarely ever asks her to drive her sister. I agree with your solution though.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It would have been nice of her to do it, but to expect it, no. Why couldn't mom do it?
Locked Previous topicNext topic