i do not want to sit with this lady one on one

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I work in an assisted living facility. all of our patients have dementia.

This one lady fell yesterday morning. She had to be taken to the hospital. due to covid-19, if you leave the facility and come back you have to be quarantined for 14 days . which is really hard to do with someone who doesn't understand what is going on. Well I sat with her tonight for a couple hours. she tired to hit me in the head with her walker about 5 times, ,tried to kick me in the face while she was in bed, punched me a few times. because she wants to leave her room and she can't. They are asking for volunteers to sit with her one on one. I know I'm not volunteering to do it on my days off. Tonight was a horrible night at work.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't blame you.

Hope everything works out for you both.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:17 am I don't blame you.

Hope everything works out for you both.
I hope they figure something out. We do not have enough staff to cover her being sat with 24/7 for 14 days.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's time for them to call a health care agency to send someone who will get paid to sit with her.

I remember back in the day I signed up to be a weekend, live in, caregiver for a lady with dementia and it was the hardest 48 hours of my life lol. I only stayed for about 4 weekends before I quit and I found out that other caregivers quit that case all the time. The lady was a fall risk but she would literally be up almost the whole 48 hours even after we gave her sleeping pills. Good luck!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am sorry! I remember those days.

I would meet with her care team, specifically get the psychiatrist to assist with managing her antipsychotic meds, to calm down her behavior. It does not sound safe for staff or her for another 13 days
Anonymous 2

Unread post

This wasn't a nursing home but a mental facility many years ago. We wanted a patient to wear his leg brace. He spit at me and bit his doctor on the arm. And it wasn't a little bite either. He bit hard as he could. Sometimes nurses need that hazard pay.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Remove her walker from her reach. Stay 6 feet away from her so she can't kick you.
Cupcake_mama_jzd
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Have you been trained in CPI? It's basically supportive self defense. I work with adults with intellectual and mental disabilities (such as schizophrenia, paranoia, Bipolar and explosive personality disorder). We are trained in how to defend ourselves while protecting our assailant.

I've been bit, punched, kicked, strangled, head butted, spat on, puked on, had objects thrown at me (such as feces or stuffed animals soaked in urine) etc etc. I spent most of my morning yesterday cleaning up puke and blood off a young ladies wall and then doing first aid on her open head wound. Then I went and made us lunch.

The job of a PSW/ DSP is greatly underappreciated and under paid. People think it's all reading stories, playing Botchie Ball and drinking tea with lovely people who are elderly or disabled, like you see in the brochures. You never see the seedy underside until you're in it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:44 am This wasn't a nursing home but a mental facility many years ago. We wanted a patient to wear his leg brace. He spit at me and bit his doctor on the arm. And it wasn't a little bite either. He bit hard as he could. Sometimes nurses need that hazard pay.
I was bitten not once but twice by a resident. I was hit in the nose and given a bloody nose once. And I cannot even count the number of times I was hit and kicked and groped. I was so young, at the time, in hindsight, it is crazy what I endured for 7 to 8 some dollars an hour!! I agree they do deserve hazard pay sometimes, lol.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:14 am I work in an assisted living facility. all of our patients have dementia.

This one lady fell yesterday morning. She had to be taken to the hospital. due to covid-19, if you leave the facility and come back you have to be quarantined for 14 days . which is really hard to do with someone who doesn't understand what is going on. Well I sat with her tonight for a couple hours. she tired to hit me in the head with her walker about 5 times, ,tried to kick me in the face while she was in bed, punched me a few times. because she wants to leave her room and she can't. They are asking for volunteers to sit with her one on one. I know I'm not volunteering to do it on my days off. Tonight was a horrible night at work.
if it's assisted living, how is she able to do her own basics? if it's a nursing home, they can sedate her and any employee who does her 24/hr watch gets paid to do it. she shouldn't be in assisted living if she is dangerous or her dementia has progressed, her family/the social worker for her wing should meet to discuss placement in a nursing facility.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Locked Previous topicNext topic