What kind of holiday shopper are you?

SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

As I’m in the process of crossing off the last names from my list, I’m just curious:
What kind of holiday shopper are you? Do you shop throughout the year, early in the season, or are you still shopping the last few days before Christmas? (The last one would be me, lol)
About how many people do you have on your Christmas list? Between the immediate family, my family, and SO’s family—there’s about 25 people on my list.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sometimes its thru the year, other times usually around Oct/Nov when I start shopping and there were a few yrs where I got my shopping started and finished mere days before Christmas.

I tried to avoid online shopping this year and went downtown to shop both Black Friday weekend and even last weekend but couldn't find anything that looked like a good enough gift for the folks I was shopping for. Ended up ordering a chunk off eBay, found some other goodies at Ross & Burlington and even found a few odds and ends while grocery shopping over the past few weeks.

Everyone is shopped for. Yay!
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m all of the above, lol. I do buy some throughout the year, some I buy early in the season, and some are last minute week of. We just have a few items left to get this year.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When my kids were little I shopped the thrift stores all year round for like-new toys. I would hide them in the RV and then wrap them for the next gift holiday.

Now the kids are older and if they want something they negotiate with Dad and he doesn't wait until a holiday. Last several years we skipped Christmas.

This year we are having a dinner with the family and the group has specified, no gifts. We don't need anything, all of our houses are full. But, I went and bought a bunch of books anyway to play a Yankee Trade game. As long as we are all getting together, what's Christmas without a little unwrapping?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have a set budget for each of the kids, so we buy a lot of gifts “used” (brand new in quality, but used off of Facebook marketplace, eBay, etc) so we can get more for our money. Around November my husband and I make a PowerPoint and brainstorm together what we want to get each kid, then we search for sales and best prices second hand so it takes a little more time than just going on Amazon.
We shop for the kids, my parents, my sister and her family, my grandparents, my husbands grandmother, our godchildren and their siblings, and a few of our very close friends.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:47 pm Sometimes its thru the year, other times usually around Oct/Nov when I start shopping and there were a few yrs where I got my shopping started and finished mere days before Christmas.

I tried to avoid online shopping this year and went downtown to shop both Black Friday weekend and even last weekend but couldn't find anything that looked like a good enough gift for the folks I was shopping for. Ended up ordering a chunk off eBay, found some other goodies at Ross & Burlington and even found a few odds and ends while grocery shopping over the past few weeks.

Everyone is shopped for. Yay!
Yay!
I usually try to avoid online shopping as well, but this has been a very “Add to Cart” year. I enjoy the act of going to the stores and looking for gifts.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:00 pm We have a set budget for each of the kids, so we buy a lot of gifts “used” (brand new in quality, but used off of Facebook marketplace, eBay, etc) so we can get more for our money. Around November my husband and I make a PowerPoint and brainstorm together what we want to get each kid, then we search for sales and best prices second hand so it takes a little more time than just going on Amazon.
We shop for the kids, my parents, my sister and her family, my grandparents, my husbands grandmother, our godchildren and their siblings, and a few of our very close friends.
Love that you make a PowerPoint, lol.
I make an Excel spreadsheet
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:20 pm
I lol'd at PowerPoint too, I also used to make spreadsheets. I liked to spread out the gift giving instead of doing it all at once, so I had lists for each kid and several different present times over the holidays. Planning it all was the best part!
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't start until after dd's birthday on 11/5.

I shop for the girls, my mom's stocking, Dh's stocking, my niece, my 2 great nephews, and the person whose name I draw. This year, that was my sister in law.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:39 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:20 pm
I lol'd at PowerPoint too, I also used to make spreadsheets. I liked to spread out the gift giving instead of doing it all at once, so I had lists for each kid and several different present times over the holidays. Planning it all was the best part!
I’m usually not a planner 😅
The spreadsheet is about as much planning as I do all year, and that’s for budgeting. I’m more of a spontaneous gift finder
Locked Previous topicNext topic