Everyone Needs To Re-Accept Our Terms, Privacy Policy, and Cookies

Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

12skipafew wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 am SheMedia
https://pmc.com/privacy-policy/
That's slightly difficult to parse, but as best I can make out, they say (among other things):
pursuant to our Terms, use and edit information submitted by you in response to opportunities provided on the Services, which you provide to us through emails, blogs, forums, in response to polls, or through any other user generated submission, for editorial purposes, including your name, likeness, photograph, and biographical information you provide, with or without attribution, including publication in the Publications, and in trade media, and advertising

Create and update inferences about you and audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing on the Services, third party services and platforms, and mobile apps

Create profiles about you, including adding and combining information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing, and advertising

PMC may (and you authorize us to) share or disclose information collected from and about you on the Services to other companies or individuals:
Third Parties for Marketing Purposes. We may share your information with partners whose offerings may interest you such as other marketers, magazine publishers, retailers, participatory databases and non-profit organizations. This includes licensing information about your interests and activities, and marketing segments created with such data, which we may share with third parties for their marketing purposes.

Social Networks. As noted above, if you use your login credentials from a social media networking service on a Website, we may receive information from such service in accordance with its terms and privacy policy and your settings. If you elect to share your information with these social networking sites, we will share information with them in accordance with your election. The terms and conditions of these social networking sites will apply to the information we disclose to them.

Sales or Transfer of Business or Assets. In connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange, or other disposition (whether of assets, stock, or otherwise, including via bankruptcy) of all or a portion of the business conducted by the Website to which this policy applies, in which case the company will possess the information collected by us and will assume the rights and obligations regarding your information as described in this Privacy Policy (the “Acquisition Use”).
Their policy about privacy seems to be "You give up all rights to privacy. We'll take all the information we can, and sell it to whomever we want to sell it to."

I could be wrong on that. As I say, their 'privacy policy' isn't the easiest document to read.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

12skipafew wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 am It’s written out more descriptively in the privacy policy. Basically the site uses cookies to keep you logged in and is needed for certain functions to work properly. The ads that we serve are also using their own cookies. Cookies can be turned off through your web browser but be aware that certain functions on the site like staying logged in may not work properly.
By the way, I appreciate that you took time to answer. I'm not trying to be difficult, nor am I saying accepting these conditions is the wrong thing to do.

I am a believer in trying to understand what third party advertisers are actually up to. I think getting in the habit of one's default response to being asked to accept such agreements, being to accept without reading or understanding, is potentially dangerous on a societal level.
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That’s mainly because they are an advertising partner, they find the advertisers and then place the ads on your site. The profiles is basic information for targeting purposes so if you are a woman, aged 25, and interests include shopping you are put in a column with the other 25 yr old women who are interested in shopping so that advertisers can target their ads so they aren’t wasting ad dollars. My real job outside of this website is digital marketing and I study analytics pretty closely and very regularly, there’s no identifying information tied to analytics and nothing individualized. It’s literally just charts that say things like 50% of this site has women, 10% are between 18-25, 5% are interested in shopping. Their information is based on cookies collected from a number of websites and through google itself.

As far as selling the analytical information to advertisers, etc. That’s exactly what an ad partner does. They find advertisers and connect them to your website. Instead of something like Google who requires the advertisers to do their own research, keyword analysis, and then bid for clicks, Shemedia matches an advertiser to the website which in turn fetches a better price than an advertiser bidding $1 for a keyword and hoping for the best. Technically that is selling your information although the information is in the form of numbers and charts and not personalized.

Some of that doesn’t apply to Shemedia itself, it’s the umbrella policy offered by Penske Media Company which is a media company who owns magazines like Variety and Rollingstone along with a some digital publications and digital media/marketing companies that they absorbed like SheMedia.

They also work with social media influencers hence the social media part of the privacy notice.

It’s all pretty basic stuff, especially for a media company that deals with advertisers. There’s certain things that an advertiser needs to know so they aren’t wasting money. But, at the same time you could always decide to turn off cookies that give information to advertisers. The cookie policy explains how to do that I believe.
Aletheia wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:32 am
That's slightly difficult to parse, but as best I can make out, they say (among other things):
pursuant to our Terms, use and edit information submitted by you in response to opportunities provided on the Services, which you provide to us through emails, blogs, forums, in response to polls, or through any other user generated submission, for editorial purposes, including your name, likeness, photograph, and biographical information you provide, with or without attribution, including publication in the Publications, and in trade media, and advertising

Create and update inferences about you and audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing on the Services, third party services and platforms, and mobile apps

Create profiles about you, including adding and combining information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing, and advertising

PMC may (and you authorize us to) share or disclose information collected from and about you on the Services to other companies or individuals:
Third Parties for Marketing Purposes. We may share your information with partners whose offerings may interest you such as other marketers, magazine publishers, retailers, participatory databases and non-profit organizations. This includes licensing information about your interests and activities, and marketing segments created with such data, which we may share with third parties for their marketing purposes.

Social Networks. As noted above, if you use your login credentials from a social media networking service on a Website, we may receive information from such service in accordance with its terms and privacy policy and your settings. If you elect to share your information with these social networking sites, we will share information with them in accordance with your election. The terms and conditions of these social networking sites will apply to the information we disclose to them.

Sales or Transfer of Business or Assets. In connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange, or other disposition (whether of assets, stock, or otherwise, including via bankruptcy) of all or a portion of the business conducted by the Website to which this policy applies, in which case the company will possess the information collected by us and will assume the rights and obligations regarding your information as described in this Privacy Policy (the “Acquisition Use”).
Their policy about privacy seems to be "You give up all rights to privacy. We'll take all the information we can, and sell it to whomever we want to sell it to."

I could be wrong on that. As I say, their 'privacy policy' isn't the easiest document to read.
🤓The Admin 🤓
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I accept. :)

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I was looking at the patron think and I'm wondering if it can be done through paypal?
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

12skipafew wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 am That’s mainly because they are an advertising partner, they find the advertisers and then place the ads on your site. The profiles is basic information for targeting purposes so if you are a woman, aged 25, and interests include shopping you are put in a column with the other 25 yr old women who are interested in shopping so that advertisers can target their ads so they aren’t wasting ad dollars. My real job outside of this website is digital marketing and I study analytics pretty closely and very regularly, there’s no identifying information tied to analytics and nothing individualized. It’s literally just charts that say things like 50% of this site has women, 10% are between 18-25, 5% are interested in shopping. Their information is based on cookies collected from a number of websites and through google itself.

As far as selling the analytical information to advertisers, etc. That’s exactly what an ad partner does. They find advertisers and connect them to your website. Instead of something like Google who requires the advertisers to do their own research, keyword analysis, and then bid for clicks, Shemedia matches an advertiser to the website which in turn fetches a better price than an advertiser bidding $1 for a keyword and hoping for the best. Technically that is selling your information although the information is in the form of numbers and charts and not personalized.

Some of that doesn’t apply to Shemedia itself, it’s the umbrella policy offered by Penske Media Company which is a media company who owns magazines like Variety and Rollingstone along with a some digital publications and digital media/marketing companies that they absorbed like SheMedia.

They also work with social media influencers hence the social media part of the privacy notice.

It’s all pretty basic stuff, especially for a media company that deals with advertisers. There’s certain things that an advertiser needs to know so they aren’t wasting money. But, at the same time you could always decide to turn off cookies that give information to advertisers. The cookie policy explains how to do that I believe.

This isn't a complaint about you or this this site. Like you say, it is how these companies operate.
I just dislike how the operate.
The terms they ask people to sign give away far more rights than they need to.
Imagine if companies doing dry cleaning of clothes worked the same way.

Skipafew: "I'd like to put this coat in to be dry cleaned, please. Can you have it ready on Thursday?"

Clerk: "Certain, ma'am. That will be $50."

Skipafew: "Here you go, anything else?"

Clerk: "Oh, and obviously you need to leave your home address so we can contact you if you forgot to pick it up, and an imprint of your front door keys."

Skipafew: "That sounds sensi... wait a moment, did you say my front door keys?"

Clerk: "Sure, standard industry practice nowadays, don't worry about it, just push them into this clay mold here a moment, and we'll do the rest."

Skipafew: "Why do you need an imprint of my front door keys?"

Clerk: "Our insurers want to know the average weight and jaggedness of key, so they can judge the chances of coat pockets being damaged. Don't blame me, it's a third party thing. Anyway, if you really don't want to give an imprint, there's an alternative you can spent 30 minutes setting up (though it might break a few things, not sure)."

Skipafew: "Let me guess, 95% of people never bother with the alternative, they just hand over the imprint."

Clerk: "Well sure. It is perfectly safe, I assure you StayFresh Cleaners would never give your data to anyone we don't trust to only use the jaggedness information."

Skipafew: "But your contract doesn't say that. Your contract say you could sell the complete information to anyone you want to. Or the company that takes you over could do. In short, you're asking me to trust you. Why did you set it up that way?"

Clerk: "Don't ask me. Just how things are, innit? I know we're trustworthy, so you're worrying about nothing. It isn't going to change, is it?"
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I understand but these concerns are why browsers added the option to block tracking cookies and why browsers like Tor are around. It’s a controversial issue but there are options out there so you won’t have to worry as much. Now, Google and Facebook are another story altogether, they know everything lol.
Aletheia wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 pm
12skipafew wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 am That’s mainly because they are an advertising partner, they find the advertisers and then place the ads on your site. The profiles is basic information for targeting purposes so if you are a woman, aged 25, and interests include shopping you are put in a column with the other 25 yr old women who are interested in shopping so that advertisers can target their ads so they aren’t wasting ad dollars. My real job outside of this website is digital marketing and I study analytics pretty closely and very regularly, there’s no identifying information tied to analytics and nothing individualized. It’s literally just charts that say things like 50% of this site has women, 10% are between 18-25, 5% are interested in shopping. Their information is based on cookies collected from a number of websites and through google itself.

This isn't a complaint about you or this this site. Like you say, it is how these companies operate.
I just dislike how the operate.
The terms they ask people to sign give away far more rights than they need to.
Imagine if companies doing dry cleaning of clothes worked the same way.

Skipafew: "I'd like to put this coat in to be dry cleaned, please. Can you have it ready on Thursday?"

Clerk: "Certain, ma'am. That will be $50."

Skipafew: "Here you go, anything else?"

Clerk: "Oh, and obviously you need to leave your home address so we can contact you if you forgot to pick it up, and an imprint of your front door keys."

Skipafew: "That sounds sensi... wait a moment, did you say my front door keys?"

Clerk: "Sure, standard industry practice nowadays, don't worry about it, just push them into this clay mold here a moment, and we'll do the rest."

Skipafew: "Why do you need an imprint of my front door keys?"

Clerk: "Our insurers want to know the average weight and jaggedness of key, so they can judge the chances of suit pockets being damaged. Don't blame me, it's a third party thing. Anyway, if you really don't want to give an imprint, there's an alternative you can spent 30 minutes setting up (though it might break a few things, not sure)."

Skipafew: "Let me guess, 95% of people never bother with the alternative, they just hand over the imprint."

Clerk: "Well sure. It is perfectly safe, I assure you StayFresh Cleaners would never give your data to anyone we don't trust to only use the jaggedness information."

Skipafew: "But your contract doesn't say that. Your contract say you could sell the complete information to anyone you want to. Or the company that takes you over could do. In short, you're asking me to trust you. Why did you set it up that way?"

Clerk: "Don't ask me. Just how things are, innit? I know we're trustworthy, so you're worrying about nothing. It isn't going to change, is it?"
🤓The Admin 🤓
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes 😊
Lemons wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:48 pm I was looking at the patron think and I'm wondering if it can be done through paypal?
🤓The Admin 🤓
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I thought I already did that. I accept. Does this have anything to do with why I can't make anything work like highlighting, underlining, the smilies, etc?
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t think so, if you can create a topic you should be able to use everything. What happens when you try?
Mommamia wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 pm I thought I already did that. I accept. Does this have anything to do with why I can't make anything work like highlighting, underlining, the smilies, etc?
🤓The Admin 🤓
Locked Previous topicNext topic