Have you made your own mask?

Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 pm Hi. I think you may have been the one who was kind enough to point that out to me when I mentioned in another post that I ran out of elastic. Have you tried using the headbands? I tried it on one but it seemed to be putting a strain on my needle. In a pinch, I'd definitely use the headbands. But I'd also have to switch out my needle. Have you made many masks already?
Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 pm I've been making 9"x6" masks shown on this website:
https://www.courierpress.com/story/news ... 865273001/
Scroll to 2nd video to see how to make them.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN, I highly recommend that you read these PDF written instructions:
https://courierpressblogs.com/pdf/howto ... cemask.pdf

1/8" flat elastic is very hard to find right now. I found mine on Ebay.
You can use these headbands. They have them at all family dollar stores 10/1.00.,
I posted that in another post. I cut the small metal piece off and that gives you around 11-12" inches of the headband to work with. The size of elastic needed is around 6.5 to 7". I measure that off then take a lighter to melt the ends so the material doesn't ravel out. I was having a hard time trying to get my sewing machine to go through the headband also. I think it sticks because its a piece of elastic rubber underneath the material. I just hand stitched the elastic pieces onto the masks
Attachments
20200403_215421.jpg
20200326_173118.jpg
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

No. We have non-medical masks and gloves that we've had for a while. Besides, I'm only wearing a mask if I'm going to the store or somewhere else near people. I don't wear a mask to work out outside or go for a walk.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 pm
AngelicUnicorn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:53 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Home made masks made from fabric from Michael's lowers the risk of getting covid? Do you have a reliable link for that?
All the articles I have read about this latest recommendation say it will slow the spread, but doesn’t replace staying at home. And the mask recommendation is for those who are in areas that have been hardest hit by the virus. The best mask is that n95, but I doubt everybody can find one of those.
The n95 is useless unless someone is correctly fitted for one.
You could buy these from Home Depot and Lowe's. I don't know about now. I have some from the 2017 wildfires we had here.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Hey! You got crafty and you made it work! :) Thanks again for sharing it. Because you did, I was able to make a few more masks before my other elastic arrived. :)
Anonymous 9 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 pm Hi. I think you may have been the one who was kind enough to point that out to me when I mentioned in another post that I ran out of elastic. Have you tried using the headbands? I tried it on one but it seemed to be putting a strain on my needle. In a pinch, I'd definitely use the headbands. But I'd also have to switch out my needle. Have you made many masks already?
Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 pm

You can use these headbands. They have them at all family dollar stores 10/1.00.,
I posted that in another post. I cut the small metal piece off and that gives you around 11-12" inches of the headband to work with. The size of elastic needed is around 6.5 to 7". I measure that off then take a lighter to melt the ends so the material doesn't ravel out. I was having a hard time trying to get my sewing machine to go through the headband also. I think it sticks because its a piece of elastic rubber underneath the material. I just hand stitched the elastic pieces onto the masks
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 pm Have any of you ladies made non-medical masks for yourselves? Since thats the recommendation now I guess I need to figure out how to make some. I've seen they should be 100% cotton on one website but I'm not sure why. Any suggestions?
Now you're supposed to wear a mask? I thought the deal was that anything that isn't an N95 wouldn't keep you from catching anything.
Wearing a fabric mask will greatly reduce the virus being passed by containing the air expelled by the wearer. Many people may have the virus without knowing it, or even having symptoms. If everyone wears a mask it will curtail the spread.

If you add a filter paper to your fabric mask you can enhance the protection for the wearer. It won't be as effective as the N-95, but will block a lot of contagions. People are using the paper in furnace and air conditioning filters, or high filtration vacuum cleaner bags.

Part of the goal is to protect others, part is to keep yourself from getting any type of sickness. The less people in the hospital at one time the better chance the medical teams can save those who are sick.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:14 pm Thanks for posting this information & link. I couldn't find the part that spoke of heating it in 158 degree oven for 30 minutes. But I'm already sleepy tonight! :)
MonarchMom wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 pm I've made 2 dozen masks for our local hospital. They are washable fabric, and have an interior pocket where they can insert the medical grade filter paper.

Also made them for ourselves and extended family members. We wear them whenever we leave home. It will definitely help prevent you spreading the virus if you have it but may not know it. And if everyone was wearing them that could slow the spread significantly.

BTW - for those who do have N-95 masks, Stanford study finds you can reuse them by heating in 158° oven for 30 min. to kill the virus.
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/04/01/re ... n95-masks/
"scientists from Stanford have conducted a study confirming that the N95 masks can be decontaminated in a domestic environment. They suggest that leaving the mask in a regular kitchen oven at 70C/158F for 30 minutes will efficiently sterilize it."
https://iheartintelligence.com/stanford ... e-heating/
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No and I don't plan on it. I'm very rarely in public places these days. If I need to go to the store or anything, I will wear one of the face shields /bandanas that I wear in the winter when I go hiking. They're lightweight and breathable and I hate them because I can't stand wearing anything on my face but if I have to, I will suck it up for the few minutes I'll be in the store.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No I am not planning to.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I have dust masks that I usually would use while cleaning. I'm wondering if those are even effective??
I haven't really left my house but I do need to restock on groceries tomorrow.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I tried making one out of a bandana and hair ties.. The bandana part looked really good. The hair ties would not stay on my ears.lol
Locked Previous topicNext topic