Conversation in another group about knowing your neighbors

Anonymous 1

Unread post

The group I’m in says that this is a lesson in people not living as a community. What do you think about the idea that people live very solitary lives and don’t know their neighbors
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We knew some of our's but in all honesty we probably wouldn't be knowing many others. We do now though. We wave, we talk from a distance, we all have #s, e-mails, etc. so we can help each other out. It hurts my heart to see this but the response from my neighbors warms my heart back up a little.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We live in very friendly suburban community where most people keep their properties very well and are remarkably friendly. But we see what they want us to see.

To quote SSA Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds, "Do we really know our neighbours?"
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's one reason why we chose this town. It's small, everyone seems to know everyone else, and there's a real sense of pride. I belong to a FB page for locals, and it's flooded now with cooking tips, offers to grocery shop, babysit, birthday parades and just general well-being posts. It's inspiring to see everyone coming together.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't know mine worth squat. It is a 40 home subdivision. Of those 40 homes, we know 1 family really well. We are related to them. We have met probably 4 other neighbors and we've lived here for 20 years. A lot of the homes have been bought in recent years and we've never met the people that have bought them. Our neighborhood is not one that is very active though. There are very few kids in the subdivision and the ones that live here are rarely outside. We wave to people, but that is basically it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't know most of my neighbors very well. Some I don't even know their names.

When I was a kid, my parents and I knew who all the neighbors were a lot better. I don't know if thats indicative of a trend for the rest of society or not.

If you have the Next Door app, there is a place for you to sign up to be a helper or look for help if you need it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They think we are getting sick because we don't know our neighbors?
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Most of my neighbors have lived here longer than me (23 years) so I definitely know them.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

We live in a small town so we know our neighbors very well, go to each other’s houses for summer bbqs and Fourth of July parties, Christmas parties ect.

Five connected houses already have a crop plan for who will grow what and feed the entire cul de sac with what we all collectively grow.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm They think we are getting sick because we don't know our neighbors?
No, people not having people who are able to run to the store for them so they don’t have to take young kids out. Or sharing what stores have meat or toilet paper.
Locked Previous topicNext topic