Conversation in another group about knowing your neighbors

californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:17 pm
californiagirl83 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:12 pm It's one reason why we chose this town. It's small, everyone seems to know everyone else, and there's a real sense of pride. I belong to a FB page for locals, and it's flooded now with cooking tips, offers to grocery shop, babysit, birthday parades and just general well-being posts. It's inspiring to see everyone coming together.
I live in a similar small town. I have been so impressed by the whole community and their desire to support each other.

ETA: Are you a vendor at your local farmers market or am I thinking of another poster?
You're thinking of someone else.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, for many years my neighbors were my in laws, so I knew them pretty well. They moved just a few months ago.
I actually do know some of my neighbors well. We’re not BFFs but we get along fine and have helped each other out on occasions.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 9

Unread post

I've lived in the same little hidden gem for 30 years. Less than 50 houses all on at least 2 acres. I know who people are, but we all pretty much keep to ourselves.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Sometimes no neighbors are the best neighbors. Some neighbors I've regret knowing.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Hell no. I know the people on either side of us on a first name basis, and that I learned more by osmosis than any sort of deliberate effort. I might be able to recognize the couple across the street, but I've got nothing on their names. The rest of the people on my street I wouldn't recognize if they walked up to me and punched me in the teeth.

Which is perfectly fine with me, because that right there is the exact extent to which I'm interested in having anything to do with my neighbors. I don't live in a close knit community on purpose. It's one of the reasons why I chose my neighborhood. It's very urban, super not family-oriented, and people mind their own F***ing business.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I liver in a community of 2500 people. Everybody knows everybody and their business and are in some way related. Town is now closed to outsiders, which is fine with all of us.
Progress, not perfection.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We know about half of our neighbors in our court. The closest of us have been picking up paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, etc. and dropping extra off to each other when we can find it. It's pretty cool.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We know neighbors 3 houses each way and the 3 across the street.
Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

We know the neighbours who live on either side of us - one of them rents his house. He's the second tenant to live there in ten years.

Mr. Turkle knows and chit chats with the senior who lives directly behind us. He goes to the fence at the rear of our yards and they jaw together.

He also knows a woman who lives a couple of doors away from the senior neighbour.
"Prison inmates are treated to cable TV, hot meals and a college education, while on the outside some people can only afford these things through a life of crime."
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Things have changed a ton. Plus the city was very different than the suburbs at least in Chicago years ago.

The burbs you pull into your attached garage, close the overhead and go in the house. You don't see watch other, you don't wave hi.

The city, people used to sit on their front porch in the summer. You'd talk to people walking by on the sidewalk, yell to your neighbor on their porch, etc.

I think as a whole we're much more disconnected as a society than we were 20 years ago.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic