Conversation in another group about knowing your neighbors

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm The group I’m in says that this is a lesson in people not living as a community. What do you think about the idea that people live very solitary lives and don’t know their neighbors
I know the people that live on our street and a few people that live on the streets on either side of our street
Most of the people that I do know is because their kids are at my house after school and during the summer (before covid19 hit).
I know the people directly across the street and both elderly couples that live on either side of her house, these 3 houses dont have kids. No one lives next to our house, we own both lots and the lots directly our lots......so we don't have "next door"neighbors. The lady directly across from us and I have both gone shopping for her elderly neighbors. We also both check on them daily because they wont ask us to do anything for them unless we pester them.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Oh!!!! I loved Jason Gideon! (I think Mandy Patinkin is such a talented actor!)
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm We live in very friendly suburban community where most people keep their properties very well and are remarkably friendly. But we see what they want us to see.

To quote SSA Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds, "Do we really know our neighbours?"
I just recently restarted watching the series on Netflix.
I think in the upcoming weeks or months we all are going to be doing re-watching.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Oh!!!! I loved Jason Gideon! (I think Mandy Patinkin is such a talented actor!)

I just recently restarted watching the series on Netflix.
I think in the upcoming weeks or months we all are going to be doing re-watching.
That is so very true.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We know many members of our community; however, we do not know our next door neighbors. We’ve been living in our house for about a year and half now. DH has been teaching at the school for almost 5 years now. He’s made an effort to befriend people here to ensure job security.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:12 pm It's one reason why we chose this town. It's small, everyone seems to know everyone else, and there's a real sense of pride. I belong to a FB page for locals, and it's flooded now with cooking tips, offers to grocery shop, babysit, birthday parades and just general well-being posts. It's inspiring to see everyone coming together.
I live in a similar small town. I have been so impressed by the whole community and their desire to support each other.

ETA: Are you a vendor at your local farmers market or am I thinking of another poster?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I think it largely depends on the area.
We only really know one family in our neighborhood, and only because our children attend the same school. I live in an area with a lot of immigrants, and there are often language barriers, but I will wave and say hello if I see someone I recognize out and about.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I don't care to know these particular neighbors because most of them are drunks. I can't wait to move. But i know a lot of my extended neighbors most within the 8 miles that makes up our little neighborhood
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I only know 3 of my neighbors and one I can't stand because he has stated he will shoot any stray cat that comes onto his property. He's an asshole but our sons play together so I have to be somewhat civil. And he has a cat! His wife is OK though, but they've got 3 older boys, about 15-20, and his wife with heart issues mows the grass because the boys can't be bothered and neither can my neighbor who stays home during the day and works second shift.

I have some elderly neighbors across the street. I wanted to check on them but was afraid I was a carrier of Covid without symptoms. Finally my DH saw them outside and just talked to them from across the street to make sure they are good on everything and they are.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I know mine and we chat from a 6 ft distance and have each others phone numbers.

our town only has 350 residents so we mostly know each other pretty well
Anonymous 8

Unread post

We're on a 7 house cul-de-sac & we all know each other pretty well. We have 1 house where they aren't that social, but we all see them & say hi to them. Our elderly couple both died last year, so that house is now empty. We have 3 houses with kids, but they are all staggered ages, so none of them play together. We range from 14 years old down to 6 months. All the adults have fun tho. We have some loud & wild block parties. A massive 4th of July cookout block party. Last weekend we had a "get out of my yard" cookout. Everyone brought their grill to their driveway & cooked out while we all sat in our driveways & hollered/chatted with each other. lol One lady is a manager at Cost Co, she's making sure we're all good on toilet paper.

we're also in a very small rural Southern town. Knowing your neighbors is normal around here. Everyone knows everyone else.
Locked Previous topicNext topic