Conversation in another group about knowing your neighbors

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm They think we are getting sick because we don't know our neighbors?
No, people not having people who are able to run to the store for them so they don’t have to take young kids out. Or sharing what stores have meat or toilet paper.
Oh, yea, I'll agree with that.

But the flip side, is I don't have to come home from a long day of work and feel guilt because I didn't check on "Betty". I don't have to worry about becoming the community center of gossip as well.

I grew up in small town, "know your neighbor, love your neighbor" America. Then I moved to, "Who the f* are you? leave me alone." city area. And then I landed somewhere in the middle of the suburbs, where we say, "hi, how are you, here's your Xmas card, once a year."

There's pros and cons to any type of community. Certainly a close knit community might be helpful during times of crisis, as you have a "village".
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Oh!!!! I loved Jason Gideon! (I think Mandy Patinkin is such a talented actor!)
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm We live in very friendly suburban community where most people keep their properties very well and are remarkably friendly. But we see what they want us to see.

To quote SSA Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds, "Do we really know our neighbours?"
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The two main houses I know the neighbors in both neighborhoods.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Oh!!!! I loved Jason Gideon! (I think Mandy Patinkin is such a talented actor!)
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm We live in very friendly suburban community where most people keep their properties very well and are remarkably friendly. But we see what they want us to see.

To quote SSA Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds, "Do we really know our neighbours?"
I just recently restarted watching the series on Netflix.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I could definitely see this being an issue for some.

Growing up, I can still remember having to run to a neighbor's house to borrow an egg, milk, sugar, or something. And I can remember neighbors coming to borrow from us. I remember when I was sick at school and since we only had one car, instead of my mom picking me up, my neighbor would. I can remember shovelling our neighbors' driveways and doing all sorts of favors for each other. We'd share vegetables from our gardens and during storms, before heading out, we'd ask our neighbors if they needed anything, too. I could be wrong, I know, but I get the feeling that there's not a lot of that sort of thing going on these days.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm They think we are getting sick because we don't know our neighbors?
No, people not having people who are able to run to the store for them so they don’t have to take young kids out. Or sharing what stores have meat or toilet paper.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I just might follow your lead and do the same! :)
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Oh!!!! I loved Jason Gideon! (I think Mandy Patinkin is such a talented actor!)

I just recently restarted watching the series on Netflix.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We know the neighbors who live right next door and across the street and that's about it. I couldn't tell you who the rest of the people who live on my street are if I tripped over them. We tend to mind our own business around here.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm in Florida. Basically we come together when the shit and the hurricanes hit. The rest of the time we stay to ourselves. I do know my immediate neighbors. We do small favors for each other and that suits me fine.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We don't socialize with neighbors but we know the occupants of most houses on our block, and many others throughout our small town. We've done many favors for them and check on the property for the snow birds.

Our small town also has several card playing groups, book clubs, exercise groups, garden clubs, etc. and a neighborhood newsletter to keep in touch.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I am not the type of person that even wants to know all my neighbors. We know the people who live on either side of us and that is enough.
Locked Previous topicNext topic