Alright! This is really pissing me off!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I recently planted 5 basil plants in my planter outside. They were doing fine when I started them off in the house. I moved them outside and they look good and healthy. A few days ago I went out to check on them and I noticed that 3 of them were gone! I looked harder and saw one of the "missing" shriveled up. I thought they were probably too weak or something. But the other two were doing just fine. Getting bigger. I have been checking on them regularly since then, making sure the soil isnt too wet or dry. I go out there this morning and now the last two I had are gone too! WTH? It cant be that its too cold. We are in the mid to upper 80s during the day and we havent been getting below the 60s at night. So what could be the issue? I have successfully grown basil plants for a few years now and I have never had an issue with them. They have been the easiest thing in the world to grow. IDK, maybe this isnt the year for basil? I mean it is a little more humid than usual this time of year. Could that be the problem?

On a side note, I have some parsley that I have been growing/abusing in the back yard for 2 years now. This thing wont quit! It was left out in the winter for 2 years in a row and both time I go back there and its still green and thriving as ever. I have been leaving it alone to let it seed, then when I noticed how resilient it has been I have been watching it to test how resilient it is.Its been out when he weather dropped to the teens, I havent been watering it. Im impressed! This thing has got a will to live. I even gave it a name, Fred lol. I greet it when I go outside. Anyways I just thought it was funny.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It could be shock from the temperature and humidity adjustment from inside to out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 pm It could be shock from the temperature and humidity adjustment from inside to out.
That makes sense. I guess I should have waited until they were a little more mature to put them out.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I have two brown thumbs.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

There is a process called hardening off where you gradually expose your indoor seedlings to outside light, wind, and temps.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Gone as in completely disappeared or gone as in dead and shriveled. Neighborhood cats would be my suspect in the first case.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm Gone as in completely disappeared or gone as in dead and shriveled. Neighborhood cats would be my suspect in the first case.
I only saw one where it was shriveled up. The others are gone. At first I had assumed some vermin must have dug them up - and that still may be the case- but when I found the one shriveled up I figured that might have happened to the rest. The one that I discovered was hardly visible in the dirt. Who knows? I planted some more and this time Im going to let them mature more before setting them outside. I might have jumped the gun on these. My pepper plants and sage are all doing great. Maybe basil is less resilient than they are.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 pm There is a process called hardening off where you gradually expose your indoor seedlings to outside light, wind, and temps.
Gotcha, Ill try that with the next batch I have growing. Thanks!
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm Gone as in completely disappeared or gone as in dead and shriveled. Neighborhood cats would be my suspect in the first case.
I only saw one where it was shriveled up. The others are gone. At first I had assumed some vermin must have dug them up - and that still may be the case- but when I found the one shriveled up I figured that might have happened to the rest. The one that I discovered was hardly visible in the dirt. Who knows? I planted some more and this time Im going to let them mature more before setting them outside. I might have jumped the gun on these. My pepper plants and sage are all doing great. Maybe basil is less resilient than they are.
Cats.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:45 pm I have two brown thumbs.
I dont have the greenest thumbs, more yellow than green lol. I have the worst luck with house plants and I cant seem to figure out why. I like the wives' tale that they are protecting me and absorbing the bad energy from my life, lol. It makes me feel a little better when I think about it that way. But herbs, especially basil, are usually pretty easy for me to grow.
Locked Previous topicNext topic