What should I have done?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My washer broke and options at this point are limited. Even Best Buy wont deliver an appliance to you here anymore. So I got on letgo and found an ad for a washer and dryer set. One was a newer looking front loading and the other an older model but it was in the back in the picture and I couldn't see it clearly. I incorrectly assumed the newer front loading machine was the washer. I asked if he would sell just the washer separately for 350. He agreed and said he would also deliver it for that price.

He was about 20 minutes away. When he showed up he had the older machine and it was top loading. I have to stack my washer and dryer so I don't even have room for a top loading machine. I also realized why he was so willing to sell me the machine for 350 and deliver it - it was probably only worth about 75 dollars.

I didn't know what to do. I had cash, but nothing smaller than a 50, or I would have given him a little bit for his time and gas. I ended up apologizing profusely and turning him away.

What do you think I should have done?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I guess what I did wasn't too awful because no one has anything to say about it, lol. In a way that makes me feel better.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would have explained that I thought I was getting the other one in his picture and maybe gave him more if it was worth it to bring it back to me. Or picked it up if I could have. I am very clear when buying used so I know exactly what I'm getting.
LindaSmith
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Did he not understand when you said the word washer?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:20 pm I would have explained that I thought I was getting the other one in his picture and maybe gave him more if it was worth it to bring it back to me. Or picked it up if I could have. I am very clear when buying used so I know exactly what I'm getting.

Yeah, I know I assumed when I shouldn't have. I just didn't think carefully enough. My nerves are shot.

The other one was actually a dryer and I thought it was the washer. So I couldn't have taken it either.

I feel really bad that he drove to my house for nothing. A friend pointed out to me that he was willing to take 350 from me and give me something worth 50-75, and that I shouldn't feel bad at all. Maybe she's right.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

He should have specified what washer was for sale. I would have turned him away too. Don't feel bad for not giving him gas money.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Tough one. Seems to be a misunderstanding, but he also should’ve been sure of what you were buying before delivery.
Having said that, if he was willing to sell you something worth $75 for $350, it’s not like he’s Mother Theresa, so maybe he should take it as a learning opportunity.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LindaSmith wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm Did he not understand when you said the word washer?

He did bring me a washer.

His post title said washer and dryer. There were two units in the picture. A front loading one in the foreground and an older unit that was harder to see in the background. I assumed the front loading unit in the foreground was the washer but it was actually the dryer. The unit he brought me was the machine in the background of the picture, and it was a top loading washer.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:37 pm Tough one. Seems to be a misunderstanding, but he also should’ve been sure of what you were buying before delivery.
Having said that, if he was willing to sell you something worth $75 for $350, it’s not like he’s Mother Theresa, so maybe he should take it as a learning opportunity.

Thats exactly what my friend told me. He was willing to rip me off basically so I shouldn't feel bad at all. Maybe he did get a little bit of what he deserved, but I still don't like that I'm the one that gave it to him! Thanks momto2
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Honestly, it was a mistake. Did you ask him if he would sell the front loader? I'm sure he wasn't happy about it, but mistakes happen. Good luck trying to find a new washer right now. I know it's not gonna be easy. :(

Locked Previous topicNext topic