I'm not going to be able to home school my kids

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Their school wants them to have 1-2 hours a day of education from a parent M-Fri. That is not going to happen. I am still working. I'm a single mom. My lovely neighbor watches the kids for me. She is a lovely lady but she doesn't speak English well. No way she could help the kids with school.

I could try and cram it on my days off but I haven't even had a day off in awhile. I work 12.5 hour shifts and there isn't enough time to do it when I get home. That is 3-6 hours a night which just isn't going to happen.

I might have to look at a different program than what the school is offering. I haven't even had time to really look into that. It seems like the school just assumes parents are home. A lot of the local companies are considered essential so there is still a ton of people working. Eveythihgbus supposed to be turned in by the end of the day.

The school hasn't been able to give me any viable options and just suggests that they can start over in the same grade level next year. Ugh this is all a mess and I'm so tired I can barely handle thinking about it.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

What program do they want you to do? Online or paper worksheets?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 pm What program do they want you to do? Online or paper worksheets?
I don't even know.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 pm What program do they want you to do? Online or paper worksheets?
I don't even know.
What do you mean you don't know? They have not sent any emails or calls about schooling at home? Then how do you know you can't do what they are asking if they never told you?? This makes no sense.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 pm
I don't even know.
What do you mean you don't know? They have not sent any emails or calls about schooling at home? Then how do you know you can't do what they are asking if they never told you?? This makes no sense.
Oh I'm sorry I misread your comment. I thought you were asking what program I want to use.

It is both online and worksheets. There are some video lessons online and then worksheet pages. There are also other online assignments and quizzes. We are supposed to go through the chapter in the book together and I help them through their worksheets.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 pm

I don't even know.
Oh I'm sorry I misread your comment. I thought you were asking what program I want to use.

It is both online and worksheets. There are some video lessons online and then worksheet pages. There are also other online assignments and quizzes. We are supposed to go through the chapter in the book together and I help them through their worksheets.
We have similar. I don't know how old your kid is but my ds 10 has been able to figure out the online all by himself. Show him the first time if he needs help and then tell him he can figure it out now each day since he knows how. As far as the worksheets have him do 1 or 2 when you are home with him. The chapter book thing well sorry he will have to read it on his own. You have to do what you have to do to get by. Don't worry about the strict 'rules' Just try your best that's all.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why can’t they do their lessons when you get home? Switching programs isn’t going to change the obligation. Non traditional learning doesn’t mean 9 am to 3 pm M-F and if your district expects that then they are tone deaf! It is hard, but you can do this! You will do it and you will come through the other side!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Do the best you can but don't sweat it. That's what all my teacher friends tell me. There are a bunch of kids in the same situation and parents don't need the added stress right now. As long as your kids are being well taken care of and fed, the math work sheets can take a back burner.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 pm Why can’t they do their lessons when you get home? Switching programs isn’t going to change the obligation. Non traditional learning doesn’t mean 9 am to 3 pm M-F and if your district expects that then they are tone deaf! It is hard, but you can do this! You will do it and you will come through the other side!
I get home around 8pm. Just enough time to take a shower and help them get ready for bed. I can't stay up for hours longer. I need to get myself something to eat and then get ready for bed myself.

I know there are homeschool programs that are all online and where parents arent expected to be giving actual instruction just helping when needed. That is probably what I need.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I teach mine every other day. I teach instructional the older kids on odd days and the little ones on even.
Just to clarify- the older kids have independent study on even days and the LOs have learn through play on odd days.
Locked Previous topicNext topic