Common core math

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm I thought Betty DeVos and Trump killed Common core.
Common core is simply the standards it has nothing to do with the type of curriculum schools choose to implement. I can't believe after this many years of talking about it some people still don't understand the difference.
I know what common core is. I never said it was a curriculum. I simply stated that I thought Common Core was dead. Common Core is a set of standards nationwide to allow students in one state to be on par with students across the nation.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I also know what common core math is as I see it done on our kitchen table often. Some can't do it unless they have been taught. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence; it is having the opportunity to be taught or shown. That would be the same as expecting a grade schooler to try the math we were taught in the 1980's without being shown.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:14 am
iluv2meow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm If you cant figure it out you are not smarter than a grade schooler.
We like common core here, most of the dumbasses don't get it and never will.
They aren't dumbasses because they learn differently than the next person. My oldest hates the common core way of math she does better with the "old way" my youngest prefers common core but that doesn't make my oldest a dumbass by any means... She is a straight A student in all honors classes.
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 am I also know what common core math is as I see it done on our kitchen table often. Some can't do it unless they have been taught. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence; it is having the opportunity to be taught or shown. That would be the same as expecting a grade schooler to try the math we were taught in the 1980's without being shown.
My husband was never really taught common core but that's how he does mental math and always has. Even though he does it naturally, if you try to make him write it out he can't. Everyone learns differently. And all forms of learning should be taught
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I will accept that when it comes to math I'm not smarter than a fifth grader. I don't like the new methods, I thought they were making it far too complicated and it annoyed me. Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to know when I'm licked and get ods or someone else to tutor him. I'm happy, and my kid is happier. No one ever said I had to be the one to teach him.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 am I will accept that when it comes to math I'm not smarter than a fifth grader. I don't like the new methods, I thought they were making it far too complicated and it annoyed me. Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to know when I'm licked and get ods or someone else to tutor him. I'm happy, and my kid is happier. No one ever said I had to be the one to teach him.
I love your answer as it reminds me of me!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 am
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 am I will accept that when it comes to math I'm not smarter than a fifth grader. I don't like the new methods, I thought they were making it far too complicated and it annoyed me. Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to know when I'm licked and get ods or someone else to tutor him. I'm happy, and my kid is happier. No one ever said I had to be the one to teach him.
Ods is the math guy. Idk where he got it from but it's not me. He showed me his college calculus work. I told him I'd literally stand in traffic over even trying to take those classes. I listen to him explain it but it might as well be Chinese for all I know. I think as long as I take some interest it's all he cares about. He has a stats major with a minor in economics. Me I'm lucky I passed regular high school algebra. So my job when it comes to math homework is pretty much go away lol.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 am
Ods is the math guy. Idk where he got it from but it's not me. He showed me his college calculus work. I told him I'd literally stand in traffic over even trying to take those classes. I listen to him explain it but it might as well be Chinese for all I know. I think as long as I take some interest it's all he cares about. He has a stats major with a minor in economics. Me I'm lucky I passed regular high school algebra. So my job when it comes to math homework is pretty much go away lol.
When I went to university I struggled with that one math course I had to take to graduate. Not being mathematically wired, I chose an arts degree in Law. For my college degree, the math was business math, so I was fine with that.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m just really glad my dd is a senior in high school and no longer needs math.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Common core is just the skills the kids need to master before moving on such as addition and subtraction. It's not a specific way of doing math. Mental math is just a way of teaching kids math that centers around the base 10 philosophy and aids them in doing work in their head by rounding up or down to the nearest 10's place in order to make it easier to do without pencil and paper. Now when learning the base 10 method it does add extra steps for the "rounding" which takes up more room on paper than your traditional "Carry the 1" method BUT once the kids learn it and start applying it they become faster at it mentally and it becomes easier in the long run.
Locked Previous topicNext topic