Common core math

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 am I will accept that when it comes to math I'm not smarter than a fifth grader. I don't like the new methods, I thought they were making it far too complicated and it annoyed me. Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to know when I'm licked and get ods or someone else to tutor him. I'm happy, and my kid is happier. No one ever said I had to be the one to teach him.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I homeschool and can teach math no problem. My son will be 13 and doing precalculus no problem relearning it myself to teach him.
Now writing... we were just staring at each other going I don't know what I'm doing! He writes essays in an online program that automatically grades it and he was barely hitting proficient. So I got him a writing tutor who is amazing. He meets with her twice a month and after 2 months his scores went from just proficient to superior before she helped him edit and improve.
He never would have made that kind of improvement without his tutor.
iluv2meow
Countess
Countess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Poietes wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm I thought Betty DeVos and Trump killed Common core.
Common core is simply the standards it has nothing to do with the type of curriculum schools choose to implement. I can't believe after this many years of talking about it some people still don't understand the difference.
I know what common core is. I never said it was a curriculum. I simply stated that I thought Common Core was dead. Common Core is a set of standards nationwide to allow students in one state to be on par with students across the nation.
The standards can be modified or states can opt to cemreate rheir own standards. Not all states share the same standards. You might want to do your research on that before claiming it as a fact.
F***ing meow this and meow that and - MEOW
Deleted User 670

Unread post

iluv2meow wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:17 pm
Poietes wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm

Common core is simply the standards it has nothing to do with the type of curriculum schools choose to implement. I can't believe after this many years of talking about it some people still don't understand the difference.
I know what common core is. I never said it was a curriculum. I simply stated that I thought Common Core was dead. Common Core is a set of standards nationwide to allow students in one state to be on par with students across the nation.
The standards can be modified or states can opt to cemreate rheir own standards. Not all states share the same standards. You might want to do your research on that before claiming it as a fact.
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is an educational initiative from 2010 that details what K–12 students throughout the United States should know in English language arts and mathematics at the conclusion of each school grade. The initiative is sponsored by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and seeks to establish consistent educational standards across the states as well as ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter credit-bearing courses at two- or four-year college programs or to enter the workforce.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Co ... Initiative
iluv2meow
Countess
Countess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 pm

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is an educational initiative from 2010 that details what K–12 students throughout the United States should know in English language arts and mathematics at the conclusion of each school grade. The initiative is sponsored by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and seeks to establish consistent educational standards across the states as well as ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter credit-bearing courses at two- or four-year college programs or to enter the workforce.[1]
Instead of using Wiki use actual validated documents like my master's in education school legal and philosphy instead. I am currently taking this class and this topic was covered in January. I was not wrong. You updated material and acrual facts.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 pm Common core is just a set of Standards not subjects. I think what you mean is mental math. Most of us never learned this strategy in school that dosent make someone less intelligent because they approach a math problem the way they were taught. It's really not that hard to understand.
Truth. Common core is stupid. Way to make everything twenty-five times more complicated than it has to be.
We used it the other day on who can mental math the fastest/most accurate. I beat the kids with 25×25.
25×10=250
25×10=250
250+250=500
25×5= 125
500+125=625

All in my head. They think I am amazing.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

iluv2meow wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Instead of using Wiki use actual validated documents like my master's in education school legal and philosphy instead. I am currently taking this class and this topic was covered in January. I was not wrong. You updated material and acrual facts.
I'm reiterating what common core means. The fact that standards can be modified or opted out means common core is basically dead. If the standards are not kept across the board in every state, then it's not really common core any more.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am
Diamepphyre wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 pm Common core is just a set of Standards not subjects. I think what you mean is mental math. Most of us never learned this strategy in school that dosent make someone less intelligent because they approach a math problem the way they were taught. It's really not that hard to understand.
Truth. Common core is stupid. Way to make everything twenty-five times more complicated than it has to be.
That depends on the person. I taught myself different ways of calculating numbers in my head. As one example, can you add high numbers without pencil and paper or a calculator?
I think we all use different ways to calculate in our head, or mental math. Some are better at it than others. Mental math is as old as math, I think they just changed how it’s taught?
iluv2meow
Countess
Countess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:43 pm
iluv2meow wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm reiterating what common core means. The fact that standards can be modified or opted out means common core is basically dead. If the standards are not kept across the board in every state, then it's not really common core any more.
Common core is set by the states individually and no it is not dead.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:11 am
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 am

I love your answer as it reminds me of me!
Ods is the math guy. Idk where he got it from but it's not me. He showed me his college calculus work. I told him I'd literally stand in traffic over even trying to take those classes. I listen to him explain it but it might as well be Chinese for all I know. I think as long as I take some interest it's all he cares about. He has a stats major with a minor in economics. Me I'm lucky I passed regular high school algebra. So my job when it comes to math homework is pretty much go away lol.
When I went to university I struggled with that one math course I had to take to graduate. Not being mathematically wired, I chose an arts degree in Law. For my college degree, the math was business math, so I was fine with that.
I struggled with college math as well I took it several times with different teachers and finally gave up lol. It wasn't until this year my daughter who's in e eighth grade and attends online through k12 well her math teacher this year is amazing. I watch her video classes with her so that I can help her if she has trouble. This teacher has made it make sense. It's kinda like duh.. Now I get it moment lol. It just makes me belive it was the teachers and not me. I wish she could have her throughout high school she's that amazing.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:11 am
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am

Ods is the math guy. Idk where he got it from but it's not me. He showed me his college calculus work. I told him I'd literally stand in traffic over even trying to take those classes. I listen to him explain it but it might as well be Chinese for all I know. I think as long as I take some interest it's all he cares about. He has a stats major with a minor in economics. Me I'm lucky I passed regular high school algebra. So my job when it comes to math homework is pretty much go away lol.
When I went to university I struggled with that one math course I had to take to graduate. Not being mathematically wired, I chose an arts degree in Law. For my college degree, the math was business math, so I was fine with that.
I struggled with college math as well I took it several times with different teachers and finally gave up lol. It wasn't until this year my daughter who's in e eighth grade and attends online through k12 well her math teacher this year is amazing. I watch her video classes with her so that I can help her if she has trouble. This teacher has made it make sense. It's kinda like duh.. Now I get it moment lol. It just makes me belive it was the teachers and not me. I wish she could have her throughout high school she's that amazing.
While often jovially criticized, us parents are often viewed as not being able to so simple 5th grade homework. The reason is not intelligence or ability, it is that we just didn't have the opportunity to be shown. I am willing to bet that the same would be true with a 13 year old if we presented them with the math we were taught. They probably would not get it until they were shown.
Locked Previous topicNext topic