Not a covid post...

leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dh and I are considering where to move after our youngest graduates HS. At first it was north Carolina. But I'm thinking the midwest somewhere. Preferably in the country not surrounded by a bunch of people.
So if you live out that way what state do you live in, do you like it, what's the weather overall like, cost of living, taxes?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I would never move anywhere it snows or has tornadoes.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am I would never move anywhere it snows or has tornadoes.
Ok.?
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I live in NC now but I spent a few years in KS. I prefer NC without question.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I live in Wisconsin and love it. We have all four seasons and it is beautiful here.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We lived in ND for four years. I loathed it with every fiber of my being. I could not wait to get back south where it didn't snow 9 months out of the year. We have discussed Asheville, NC. I think we will end up in FL as that is where my mom and his parents are and we don't want to be 10 hours away in case of an emergency. We're already 5.5 hours away.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Are you going to be working or retired?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Are you planning to move in conjunction with retiring? If so, that’s one thing, if you haven’t already, you want to consider. Not only overall state taxes but how your retirement will be taxed. Keep in mind to look at your specific type of retirement. My parents are planning to retire within a year. They want to live where family is. This narrows it down to the state they live in, the state my brother and I live, or the state my sister lives(which is in the Midwest). While overall I live in a more tax friendly state, where my sister lives is better for them as far as tax on their retirement and has a much lower CoL. Their leaning towards living near my sister, but spending the harsher parts of winter near me.

I think it’s smart to do your research as you are doing before making such a decision. I, unfortunately, know of a few people who moved to other states simply because they liked the weather or attractions but without first researching.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

caustib wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am Are you going to be working or retired?
we will probably still be working
Anonymous 3

Unread post

We live in OH and have 4 acres of land. We have stores and restaurants right down the street from us but when we walk out of our house, it feels a little secluded which we like. Weather is a little off in the recent years....fall is still summer mostly and winters are more mild than ever. summers take a while to warm up now when it didn't used to be that way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic