Debit / Credit / Tap Only

User avatar
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal
Posts: 8491
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

Unread post

Conweis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm
I think that has been the preferable method for years around my area. I prefer us Apple Pay mostly. And I actually shop more at Walmart & Sam's club due to their mobile phone payment options.

Sorry, anon1, but I find cash is archaic. I personally do not want the hassle of carrying about currency that can be lost & stolen, and it takes longer to use at the check out. But to each their own.

But checks, don't even get me started, LOL!
Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
Mind games, if you have a card, you have a card. I have read Dave Ramsey and I still don't get the money in the envelope mind trick. LOL, if you can stop at $50 of cash & not pull out the card, then why can't you just stop before you spend 50$ period, even when using the card. It takes the same amount of self-control in my mind.
User avatar
MonarchMom
Regent
Regent
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm


Dumbest thing ever. Maybe she's planning on changing them to larger bills. We got one once that had been a $5 that had been bleached, and then printed at as a $50.


Sorry for any confusion. Soaked in a bleach formula from CDC. Our state has also banned any cash payments for toll roads now for the same reason. Cash carries virus and germs.
So do cards. Think about it. Costco card - gets put on the belt, into people's mouths, and everything else. They touch those. Worse than cash. Same with credit cards/ debit cards.
Where we live all the stores use the chip reader that the shopper does themselves. We do self-check out at the food stores we visit so no one is touching the card there either. You insert the card, then remove. No one else touches the card. If for some reason anyone does touch my cc, I wipe it off afterward with bleach wipes I keep in my car.

You can't avoid any contact unless you stay in your house. But you can minimize the vectors for transmission.
User avatar
famousglm714
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3840
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 4:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Unread post

I haven’t been inside a store or anywhere else since March 12 so idk. I did Target pickup (which is card only all the time) once and the bank drive through once.
User avatar
Conweis
Regent
Regent
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 am

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm
Conweis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm
I think that has been the preferable method for years around my area. I prefer us Apple Pay mostly. And I actually shop more at Walmart & Sam's club due to their mobile phone payment options.

Sorry, anon1, but I find cash is archaic. I personally do not want the hassle of carrying about currency that can be lost & stolen, and it takes longer to use at the check out. But to each their own.

But checks, don't even get me started, LOL!
Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
Mind games, if you have a card, you have a card. I have read Dave Ramsey and I still don't get the money in the envelope mind trick. LOL, if you can stop at $50 of cash & not pull out the card, then why can't you just stop before you spend 50$ period, even when using the card. It takes the same amount of self-control in my mind.
You dont use your card. Some people leave their cards at home or in their car. If my bank account allowed me make multiple transactions between my savings and checking, I would be putting everything in savings and then just transfer over the amount needed for bills, food, etc etc.
Some people put the charge they got back into a jar and then at the end of the month deposit it back into the bank account.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I don't use cash anyway except if I buy weed.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.

Edited to add: Not pure bleach, we use a formula from CDC to clean money, all packages, food boxes, and anything else coming into the house. 2 Tablespoons bleach in 1 quart water. Soak the money for 15 min, then rinse and let dry. Doesn't harm it in any way.
Lol you are idiotic
User avatar
MonarchMom
Regent
Regent
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm
MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.

Edited to add: Not pure bleach, we use a formula from CDC to clean money, all packages, food boxes, and anything else coming into the house. 2 Tablespoons bleach in 1 quart water. Soak the money for 15 min, then rinse and let dry. Doesn't harm it in any way.
Lol you are idiotic
Don't really see why trying to avoid Covid 19 is "idiotic" but you are entitled to your opinion. I wish you well.
User avatar
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal
Posts: 8491
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

Unread post

Conweis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:42 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm
Conweis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm


Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
Mind games, if you have a card, you have a card. I have read Dave Ramsey and I still don't get the money in the envelope mind trick. LOL, if you can stop at $50 of cash & not pull out the card, then why can't you just stop before you spend 50$ period, even when using the card. It takes the same amount of self-control in my mind.
You dont use your card. Some people leave their cards at home or in their car. If my bank account allowed me make multiple transactions between my savings and checking, I would be putting everything in savings and then just transfer over the amount needed for bills, food, etc etc.
Some people put the charge they got back into a jar and then at the end of the month deposit it back into the bank account.
I am glad you have a system that works for you.

If I have the self-control and will-power to leave my card in the car, then I have the will-power to stop spending at $47.72 on my card. All that effort, running back to bank, to re-deposit money back in the bank, when you could have left it there automatically seems like a ridiculous amount of effort to me.
Catdaughter20
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 am

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:51 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm
MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.

Edited to add: Not pure bleach, we use a formula from CDC to clean money, all packages, food boxes, and anything else coming into the house. 2 Tablespoons bleach in 1 quart water. Soak the money for 15 min, then rinse and let dry. Doesn't harm it in any way.
Lol you are idiotic
Don't really see why trying to avoid Covid 19 is "idiotic" but you are entitled to your opinion. I wish you well.
I agree, you sound way too paranoid. How do you dry out the money, do you hang it out on a clothes line?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:51 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm
MonarchMom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.

Edited to add: Not pure bleach, we use a formula from CDC to clean money, all packages, food boxes, and anything else coming into the house. 2 Tablespoons bleach in 1 quart water. Soak the money for 15 min, then rinse and let dry. Doesn't harm it in any way.
Lol you are idiotic
Don't really see why trying to avoid Covid 19 is "idiotic" but you are entitled to your opinion. I wish you well.
The CDC is also saying that using non reusable masks for weeks at a time is okay for healthcare workers. If you don't have those bandanas are okay too. Their guidelines are not the best right now.

Avoiding it would would mean not using cash at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic