Debit / Credit / Tap Only

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm I have a couple of thousand in our safe that hasn't seen the light of day since long before this virus. But I rarely use or have cash on me. It's always the debit card. I don't even know how tap works, lol.
We keep cash on hand also. DH has now started labeled anything we had put aside before January as "BC" and any cash we aquired since the epidemic "AC"
Catdaughter20
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.

Sounds a tad bit OCD.

Edited to add: Not pure bleach, we use a formula from CDC to clean money, all packages, food boxes, and anything else coming into the house. 2 Tablespoons bleach in 1 quart water. Soak the money for 15 min, then rinse and let dry. Doesn't harm it in any way.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:25 pm I honestly can't remember the last time I used cash for anything.

And I shop. A lot.
I shop a lot too and I use both. I like to tip with cash so I always have cash with me.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Catdaughter20 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.
You soaked your money in bleach? Did I read that right?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's probably Canadian. Our money is plastic and can be soaked in a bleach solution without harming the money. (unless you put it in the dryer, then you have an expensive plastic ball)
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Most businesses her are doing it. I wish ours did it (but the almightly dollar is still more powerful than the virus). I have a few hundred dollars in quarantine right now that opur service department has taken. I refuse to touch it so they put it in a plastic bag and slide it into an envelope someone else is holding who has just washed their hands. I may be over reacting but there is no reason, in 2020 in Canada, that someone needs to use cash to pay for something.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m not sure about around here. My kids and I have not left our property since the 14th. DH has been the only one who has left to buy groceries and animal feed.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I haven't noticed but I haven't really been out and about very much since the start of this. I haven't seen anyone else comment on it either so I would say it hasn't happened here as of yet.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm
Catdaughter20 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm

You soaked your money in bleach? Did I read that right?
Dumbest thing ever. Maybe she's planning on changing them to larger bills. We got one once that had been a $5 that had been bleached, and then printed at as a $50.

Sorry for any confusion. Soaked in a bleach formula from CDC. Our state has also banned any cash payments for toll roads now for the same reason. Cash carries virus and germs.
So do cards. Think about it. Costco card - gets put on the belt, into people's mouths, and everything else. They touch those. Worse than cash. Same with credit cards/ debit cards.
Sassyfrass01
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

i don't normally keep cash on me. I use my debit card for everything.

However I am hearing that most stores here are asking people to not use cash due to the outbreak.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm I think that has been the preferable method for years around my area. I prefer us Apple Pay mostly. And I actually shop more at Walmart & Sam's club due to their mobile phone payment options.

Sorry, anon1, but I find cash is archaic. I personally do not want the hassle of carrying about currency that can be lost & stolen, and it takes longer to use at the check out. But to each their own.

But checks, don't even get me started, LOL!
Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
Locked Previous topicNext topic