Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes the rest of the semester.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We have had cases in our state but not near us yet anyway. Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes after spring break. My friend works in the kitchen at our local college and if the kids aren't there she won't have a job to do. I get it in a way but there will be many who will be impacted if this happens.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:44 pm We have had cases in our state but not near us yet anyway. Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes after spring break. My friend works in the kitchen at our local college and if the kids aren't there she won't have a job to do. I get it in a way but there will be many who will be impacted if this happens.
Yes, many are going to be impacted. Not just the employees, but also the students. Many have already paid for meal plans and rooms and they may not have funds to eat or stay elsewhere. Not all students can just drive or fly home suddenly. And not all students will have access to online services to continue their classes.

We are in uncharted territory.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:44 pm We have had cases in our state but not near us yet anyway. Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes after spring break. My friend works in the kitchen at our local college and if the kids aren't there she won't have a job to do. I get it in a way but there will be many who will be impacted if this happens.
I think that's going to be hard. Some classes have hands on labs. Some classes aren't offered online. They may do a two week quarantine but they can't completely shut down.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm
Yes, many are going to be impacted. Not just the employees, but also the students. Many have already paid for meal plans and rooms and they may not have funds to eat or stay elsewhere. Not all students can just drive or fly home suddenly. And not all students will have access to online services to continue their classes.

Also, many students work on or off campus and will lose their source of income if they have to leave.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

IU is doing it with their campuses and Notre Dame just announced they're doing the same until April 13th. Which, like you said, sucks for people like my mom who work on campus.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Also, many students work on or off campus and will lose their source of income if they have to leave.
Yes - there are so many areas of fallout from these closures of universities, schools, gathering places, etc. I really think the economic help should be at the level of these directly impacted people - not bailing out the cruise lines. I know people work on the ships too, but many of the workers are not from the US, and they often register their companies overseas.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I should ask my sister what her college plans on doing. She works in the administration building, so I'm sure it won't be long before something happens.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:18 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Yes - there are so many areas of fallout from these closures of universities, schools, gathering places, etc. I really think the economic help should be at the level of these directly impacted people - not bailing out the cruise lines. I know people work on the ships too, but many of the workers are not from the US, and they often register their companies overseas.
I was chatting on messenger with a friend in Italy. Her children's school has been shut down for three weeks. The Italian government is giving working parents 600 euro a month to offset childcare or loss income due to the school shutdown. While overall small, it's assistance like this that would help many working families and students.

Welp! Just got a message from my daughter that they are shutting down her school and going on-line after spring break next week.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They are already doing that with the university my husband works for. Thankfully teachers still get paid but idk what kids are supposed to do that can't just leave.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MSU and CMU are online only as of right now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic