Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes the rest of the semester.

msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have one kid in a SUNY and another in a CUNY and both are going online. But to my knowledge the schools will remain open with dorms and food halls just no classes except for those that have to be in person like LABS.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:18 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Yes, many are going to be impacted. Not just the employees, but also the students. Many have already paid for meal plans and rooms and they may not have funds to eat or stay elsewhere. Not all students can just drive or fly home suddenly. And not all students will have access to online services to continue their classes.

We are in uncharted territory.
Also, many students work on or off campus and will lose their source of income if they have to leave.
Yes - there are so many areas of fallout from these closures of universities, schools, gathering places, etc. I really think the economic help should be at the level of these directly impacted people - not bailing out the cruise lines. I know people work on the ships too, but many of the workers are not from the US, and they often register their companies overseas.
NPR did an interview with a crew member from Diamond Princess. He stated that a majority of crew and support staff are contracted for a period of time/number of cruises and that whether or not they'll be paid depends on their contract.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My daughter is currently on spring break (she came home). We just got notification today that they are asking students not to return. Classes will resume next Wednesday with remote learning. They are working on solutions for labs/hands-on classes.

Dorms will be open next weekend for resident students to grab whatever textbooks they need. If a student does need to go back to the dorms to live, they will accommodate but they have to fill out a form. They will distance learn from their dorm. My DD will stay home - she did bring all her text books home because there was talk of this. No specific end date but internal gossip is 2 weeks. My nephew's college is doing the distance thing until 3/31.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

JoJo728 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:00 pm My daughter is currently on spring break (she came home). We just got notification today that they are asking students not to return. Classes will resume next Wednesday with remote learning. They are working on solutions for labs/hands-on classes.

Dorms will be open next weekend for resident students to grab whatever textbooks they need. If a student does need to go back to the dorms to live, they will accommodate but they have to fill out a form. They will distance learn from their dorm. My DD will stay home - she did bring all her text books home because there was talk of this. No specific end date but internal gossip is 2 weeks. My nephew's college is doing the distance thing until 3/31.
How far is home from the college? I would imagine this is a great hardship for some of the students. Is she bringing any other students home with her?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I work at a major university (70k students) and its looking highly likely we'll be going online. Yes, those in the lowest paying jobs, custodial, dining, maintenance, will be the most impacted. The rest of us can pretty much do our job from home and still get paid.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm I work at a major university (70k students) and its looking highly likely we'll be going online. Yes, those in the lowest paying jobs, custodial, dining, maintenance, will be the most impacted. The rest of us can pretty much do our job from home and still get paid.
And the small businesses surrounding the university that rely on student customers.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:44 pm We have had cases in our state but not near us yet anyway. Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes after spring break. My friend works in the kitchen at our local college and if the kids aren't there she won't have a job to do. I get it in a way but there will be many who will be impacted if this happens.
I think that's going to be hard. Some classes have hands on labs. Some classes aren't offered online. They may do a two week quarantine but they can't completely shut down.
I don't think anyone is talking about shutting down, as in no classes. But rather taking everything online. Profs teach via web conference, support staff work from home. What that means for labs, phys ed, research, etc I don't know.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm
mojogirl wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm I work at a major university (70k students) and its looking highly likely we'll be going online. Yes, those in the lowest paying jobs, custodial, dining, maintenance, will be the most impacted. The rest of us can pretty much do our job from home and still get paid.
And the small businesses surrounding the university that rely on student customers.
Yep. The impact to the community will be hard. This is a college town, a one horse city. It's entire existence is based on the university and those 70k students.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PITT, Slippery Rock and Duquesne just closed face to face classes. We were just told today that we need to have a month of lesson plans prepared and materials ready to go home in the event of a district closure. In PA all of our cases are East, we only have 15 and we are near Pgh...but let’s prepare...
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm PITT, Slippery Rock and Duquesne just closed face to face classes. We were just told today that we need to have a month of lesson plans prepared and materials ready to go home in the event of a district closure. In PA all of our cases are East, we only have 15 and we are near Pgh...but let’s prepare...
I think this is part of the concern:

Mike Baker
@ByMikeBaker
Total number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at each Tuesday:
Jan. 14 — 0
Jan. 21 — 1
Jan. 28 — 5
Feb. 4 — 11
Feb. 11 — 14
Feb. 18 — 25
Feb. 25 — 59
Mar. 3 — 125
Mar. 10 — 1,004

On Tuesday, we were where Italy was 10 days ago.
Locked Previous topicNext topic