Why do people not want to teach their children..

Reedusstalker

Unread post

The minions have chores. My boy likes helping me cook. They both like to sweep.

Unread post

I did teach mine those things but she's pushing 30.
Maybe it's just a few in this generation that aren't traching these things? Idk.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I was sorta guilty of this with my son. When he turned 16 i realized i had done screwed up. He could do a few things on his own like clean but he was not anywhere ready to go out into the world. He got a crash course tho and by 18 he was much better off. When he graduated highschool he took off a year to help me due to my health and he pretty much did everything. He is 21 now and still at home will probably be with me at home a while longer but im confident when he does leave he will be fine. My girls were much more independent from a very young age and i didnt baby them the same.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't believe in making a child do day chores. I believe they should be allowed to be kids. That doesn't mean they didn't get taught how to cook and clean. They learned by helping Mom out,not being forced. I was forced and absolutely hate cleaning and the asshole who thought I was his slave.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 am I don't believe in making a child do day chores. I believe they should be allowed to be kids. That doesn't mean they didn't get taught how to cook and clean. They learned by helping Mom out,not being forced. I was forced and absolutely hate cleaning and the asshole who thought I was his slave.

When I say chores though I don't mean they are taking over things adults should be doing. Like some of my son's chores are taking out the trash, putting his clothes away, throwing clothes in the dryer, dusting, etc. It's not like I'm making him my own Cinderella lol.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Laziness? I dunno... My kids have chores. They grumble, but they learn life is work.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 am
Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 am I don't believe in making a child do day chores. I believe they should be allowed to be kids. That doesn't mean they didn't get taught how to cook and clean. They learned by helping Mom out,not being forced. I was forced and absolutely hate cleaning and the asshole who thought I was his slave.

When I say chores though I don't mean they are taking over things adults should be doing. Like some of my son's chores are taking out the trash, putting his clothes away, throwing clothes in the dryer, dusting, etc. It's not like I'm making him my own Cinderella lol.

I didn't think you were. I just don't believe in daily chores for kids. They grow up too fast as it is.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:38 am The minions have chores. My boy likes helping me cook. They both like to sweep.
When I first moved in with DH I had so much to teach the kids. If they were done with a dish, they just left it wherever. Didn't hang up towels, just left them on the floor. Would shove food wrappers wherever. I made a rule no food is to leave the dining room because of that and I had to keep on them but they are better now. My son was 5 and I realized I wasn't doing him any favors by cleaning up after him, my sister actually got on me and was like uhh why isn't this kid doing these things himself? She was right though. Now things are much easier.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 am Laziness? I dunno... My kids have chores. They grumble, but they learn life is work.

My son likes to bitch about his chores too. I tell him if he wants to complain he can swap chore lists with me. He shuts right up lol.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I agree with you. My mom was like yours. She never taught me to cook or do laundry or clean. If I tried she would get mad it was not exactly how she wanted it.

I am teaching my kids to do not every task but some tasks at least. They help fold laundry and dust and vacuum stairs and pick up toys and dirty laundry and set the table and put dishes in the sink etc.
Locked Previous topicNext topic