Lying about where dead people go

Anonymous 7

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:12 pm In most concepts, Judaism and Christianity are very different.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm Well... according to my beliefs there is a heaven, but not a hell. At least not the Christian version of hell that’s vengeful and eternal.
That's really weird. I wonder why Christianity is different.
But didn't Christianity basically come from Judaism? They look intertwined to me since the Old Testament is in the Christian bible as a history book. Idk.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Christianity did come from Judaism, but after it went in its own way, certain concepts and ideas started to also go in opposite ways. Judaism and Christianity do share a history in the form of the Torah, the OT, which Jesus himself followed. But while Judaism also believes in what’s known as the Oral Law (the Talmud and the Mishnah), Christianity abandoned those and instead took on the NT with different ideas and views.
For example, Satan in Judaism isn’t an evil counterpart of God, he’s simply an angel who has the role of being an “accuser” or of putting challenges in our way. But he does it under God’s orders, not working against Him.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:12 pm In most concepts, Judaism and Christianity are very different.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am

That's really weird. I wonder why Christianity is different.
But didn't Christianity basically come from Judaism? They look intertwined to me since the Old Testament is in the Christian bible as a history book. Idk.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm That person went to heaven, they say. The same people that don't even believe that there is a heaven. They have no clue where that person went.

2 days ago:
Me: When people die they go to heaven or hell.

Other person: There is no heaven or hell. When you're dead, you're dead.

*Known person dies

Other person: They went to heaven! Heaven... Heaven... Heaven! Angel wings... Watching over us from heaven... Blah, blah, blah...

Suddenly, heaven is a real place... But not hell 🙄
I think a lot of people are going to b really surprised when it's their turn to go and find out the life beyond this one is not what they were told it would be.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm Christianity did come from Judaism, but after it went in its own way, certain concepts and ideas started to also go in opposite ways. Judaism and Christianity do share a history in the form of the Torah, the OT, which Jesus himself followed. But while Judaism also believes in what’s known as the Oral Law (the Talmud and the Mishnah), Christianity abandoned those and instead took on the NT with different ideas and views.
For example, Satan in Judaism isn’t an evil counterpart of God, he’s simply an angel who has the role of being an “accuser” or of putting challenges in our way. But he does it under God’s orders, not working against Him.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Ha! I figured Satan had to be working for God. Otherwise one would think someone omnipotent would have put him down a long time ago.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:18 am
Aletheia wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 am
Rosehawk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 pm Why do you care what they believe or say? If it helps them cope with the loss of a loved one, I don't give a damn; and neither should you.
Have you ever come across a Christian willing to lie by saying they don't believe a Heaven exists, when that would comfort an atheist relative of a dead person?
That's silly. Why would you lie to an atheist? Just say I'm sorry for your loss. Ds is agnostic and doesn't believe in heaven but certainly believes the soul lives on. I've said things like your father is looking down on you or he'd be proud of you. Whether he agrees I'm not sure. He can feel free to say he doesn't. It's like I'm not sure I believe in a heavenly reward but I do think either we're reincarnated or there is a spiritual world.
So:

Christian says to grieving Atheist : "I believe your father is looking down on you from heaven" = fine
Atheist says to grieving Christian : "I believe your father is not looking down on you from heaven" = insensitive
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Aletheia wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 am

Have you ever come across a Christian willing to lie by saying they don't believe a Heaven exists, when that would comfort an atheist relative of a dead person?
That's silly. Why would you lie to an atheist? Just say I'm sorry for your loss. Ds is agnostic and doesn't believe in heaven but certainly believes the soul lives on. I've said things like your father is looking down on you or he'd be proud of you. Whether he agrees I'm not sure. He can feel free to say he doesn't. It's like I'm not sure I believe in a heavenly reward but I do think either we're reincarnated or there is a spiritual world.
So:

Christian says to grieving Atheist : "I believe your father is looking down on you from heaven" = fine
Atheist says to grieving Christian : "I believe your father is not looking down on you from heaven" = insensitive
"Face palm" what I'm trying to say is both Christian and atheist should be understanding to each other's beliefs. An atheist might believe the soul lives on so to say "your father is looking down on you" isn't that far fetched. My son believes the soul lives on. He believes in the spirit world so I can say your father is proud of you. If an atheist doesn't believe then by all means people should respect that. But who says "I believe your father isn't looking down on you" to a Christian when "I'm sorry for your loss" works just fine? In fact for everyone a simple "I'm sorry, I'm here," is best.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree.
I mean, seriously? How can anybody not see a difference? If a person feels a sense of comfort by the thought that their loved one is in a better place and watching over them then yes, saying otherwise is insensitive. Who do they hurt by believing that? However, it could be very hurtful if someone tells you that’s a lie.
If a person believes their loved one is gone, pushing up the petunias and not really having any further existence, how can they be hurt by someone saying “oh, he’s looking down on us”? Roll your eyes, laugh out loud if you must or just say a respectful, meaningless “thank you”. No one gets hurt by being told that.
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:05 pm
Aletheia wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 pm
So:

"Face palm" what I'm trying to say is both Christian and atheist should be understanding to each other's beliefs. An atheist might believe the soul lives on so to say "your father is looking down on you" isn't that far fetched. My son believes the soul lives on. He believes in the spirit world so I can say your father is proud of you. If an atheist doesn't believe then by all means people should respect that. But who says "I believe your father isn't looking down on you" to a Christian when "I'm sorry for your loss" works just fine? In fact for everyone a simple "I'm sorry, I'm here," is best.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 9

Unread post

That's "convenient believing". Those kind of people aren't sure and most likely watch msm news that tell them what to think and believe as they can't do such things for themselves.Be patient and pray for her.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm That person went to heaven, they say. The same people that don't even believe that there is a heaven. They have no clue where that person went.

2 days ago:
Me: When people die they go to heaven or hell.

Other person: There is no heaven or hell. When you're dead, you're dead.

*Known person dies

Other person: They went to heaven! Heaven... Heaven... Heaven! Angel wings... Watching over us from heaven... Blah, blah, blah...

Suddenly, heaven is a real place... But not hell 🙄
We all lie about this because none of us truly know for sure what in the f**k happens when you die. Personally, I don't believe hell exists. Hell is a construct that was created by religion to control people.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:35 pm
If a person believes their loved one is gone, pushing up the petunias and not really having any further existence, how can they be hurt by someone saying “oh, he’s looking down on us”? Roll your eyes, laugh out loud if you must or just say a respectful, meaningless “thank you”. No one gets hurt by being told that.
Possibly being an Atheist isn't a position you personally have been in? Here's an article by someone who has actually experienced it:
I became tired and even resentful of the comments about my daughter needing to go be with Jesus. Worse still, I isolated myself so I wouldn’t need to hear their “comforting” words because all they did was make me feel worse.
from https://www.salon.com/2015/10/24/please ... in_heaven/
Locked Previous topicNext topic