Is the student or the instructor wrong?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 pm So it’s 2 parts?

Starting a discussion
Responding to others discussions?

So his starting a discussion was wrong.
Was the responses wrong as well? I’d assume they weren’t because he was responding to others who got the correct discussion.

If that’s the case I’d give him partial credit.
Yes there are two parts. You have to make your own post before doing the responses which is why he got a 0. He didn't make his own discussion post for this week.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:55 pm I guess I'm not understanding why he wouldn't get credit for his responses to other people's posts if that part was done correctly.
You have to do your own discussion post before responding to others. You can't just do the responses and get credit.
But he did post his own discussion. Yes, it was on the wrong topic, but he did do it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

When you say a huge percentage of the grade, what percentage is that? Is there grading for these weekly discussions or is it either 100 or 0? I'm just curious how a "0" would impact his overall grade for the class.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Been there done that
They are usually only worth 20 points
He did it wrong, he should shush and move on
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 pm Been there done that
If this is a weekly assignment (and assuming 15 weeks in the semester) it's not going to significantly affect his grade. He was in the wrong. It's not something that I think a student should fail a class over but being dinged a few grade points, sure.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 pm
Bubbs wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 pm Been there done that
If this is a weekly assignment (and assuming 15 weeks in the semester) it's not going to significantly affect his grade. He was in the wrong. It's not something that I think a student should fail a class over but being dinged a few grade points, sure.
I agree. I am responding to my discussion posts now.
I've missed a few here and there and still haven't gotten less than a "B" in any class.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm just glad I did college before all this internet stuff. Assignments were straight-forward and clear.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sucks to be him, but he is wrong. He did the wrong assignment. Someone in college should pay better attention to what is going on in his classes.

Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I think if the instructor is going to give him a zero, she had better make sure all her technical shit on the site is mother-jumpin' flawless!

I say this because both of my kids have taken online classes, I am taking one online and one hybrid right now, and we have all experienced significant technical problems in every class. For me, it has been audio that doesn't play on powerpoints and wrong videos posted. My kids have both experienced assignments going onto the blackboards where they can see on their computers that it was submitted but the professors can't. I have also noticed in one of my classes some students who are posting their blogs dutifully and on time but in the wrong place...but only because the professor doesn't understand the make-a-blog vs. comment-on-a-blog features and just wants everyone to blog as comments on her own post.

My point...online classes can be a shitshow of mistakes, so maybe she ought to be kinda liberal with the benefit of the doubt; she may need some back real soon!
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I do a lot if these discussion posts also. There is one guy that posts early but one day he posted on the wrong discussion like in your scenario. Since he posted early the professor commented and said to redo it before the deadline.

Idk, it certainly taught the rest of us to make sure we post correctly.
I think if there was enough time he should have fixed it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic