Am I a jerk for doing this?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Went to dinner by myself tonight - just a salad buffet place. Saturday night - the place was hopping. I was sitting at my table and had just started eating when I noticed a child about 6 or 7 approach the woman at the table directly in front of me. He had a box of candy bars he was selling. I think she was a bit surprised by it, based on her body language, but I saw her buy one. He came to me next and I just told him no thanks. But I was kind of annoyed. Who lets there kids do that in a restaurant? Saw him bug a few more tables then got up to say something to an employee since I had no clue who his parents were. I noticed the kid was making his way down the line of people getting their food at the front buffet area (here you make your salad BEFORE you pay.) One of the workers noticed him and I thought he was going to say something, so I went back and sat down with talking to anyone.

I was onto the next part of my meal, the woman at the table who was there is now gone and replaced with someone else, and the kid comes back down our row. I was surprised he was still in there, so I got up and found someone and said something and she said she'd talk to a manager. I get that kids have stuff to sell, but... not in a restaurant. Am I a jerk for saying something, or would you have done the same, or just be annoyed and not say anything? Or maybe I'm completely clueless and this is acceptable?
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 pm Went to dinner by myself tonight - just a salad buffet place. Saturday night - the place was hopping. I was sitting at my table and had just started eating when I noticed a child about 6 or 7 approach the woman at the table directly in front of me. He had a box of candy bars he was selling. I think she was a bit surprised by it, based on her body language, but I saw her buy one. He came to me next and I just told him no thanks. But I was kind of annoyed. Who lets there kids do that in a restaurant? Saw him bug a few more tables then got up to say something to an employee since I had no clue who his parents were. I noticed the kid was making his way down the line of people getting their food at the front buffet area (here you make your salad BEFORE you pay.) One of the workers noticed him and I thought he was going to say something, so I went back and sat down with talking to anyone.

I was onto the next part of my meal, the woman at the table who was there is now gone and replaced with someone else, and the kid comes back down our row. I was surprised he was still in there, so I got up and found someone and said something and she said she'd talk to a manager. I get that kids have stuff to sell, but... not in a restaurant. Am I a jerk for saying something, or would you have done the same, or just be annoyed and not say anything? Or maybe I'm completely clueless and this is acceptable?
I wouldn't have said anything. You told the kid no thanks, and that should have been the end of it. I find it no different than GS/BS sitting outside of stores selling their things. I just say no thanks.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

kinda TBH, its just a kid. why did it bother you so much that he was asking other people?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm kinda TBH, its just a kid. why did it bother you so much that he was asking other people?
Uh, he asked me too and was coming back for a second round. I don't want to be bothered when I'm eating.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 pm
water<wine wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm kinda TBH, its just a kid. why did it bother you so much that he was asking other people?
Uh, he asked me too and was coming back for a second round. I don't want to be bothered when I'm eating.
But you already told him no, so it wouldn't matter he was going back down the row.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not something I'd care about as long as he isn't like spitting in your food when you say no or something. Maybe it's not the place, but it just doesn't hurt me or anyone else and he's just a kid, probably raising money for something important to him.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I would have just said no thank you and let it go.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would have been annoyed but I don't think I would take it to the manager. I think his parents should have had better sense than to allow him to bother people inside the restaurant. The manage should have told him to stay outside the restaurant to sell his candy.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m a sucker for kids selling candy, so I would have probably bought one. Even if I didn’t though, I would have just said no thanks. If it was an adult, I may have said something. Not a kid though.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn’t let my kids do it but I wouldn’t be bothered by it so long as the no thanks is respected and he/she moves on.
Locked Previous topicNext topic