3rd Quarter Conferences - DONE!

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes, 2 schools, 3 kids, HOW ABOUT THAT for a PRODUCTIVE DAY?

Tell me about your kids' conferences! Have you guys had winter conferences? Are they coming up? Were they enlightening? Do you like conference time? Dread conference time? Are they child guided, do you like that?

Honestly, formal conferences are not my favorite thing to do, but they are better than it used to be! The kindergarten and the 4th grader led their own conferences this time. The 6th grade conferences are all in the gym, where you wander around and find all 7 of the teachers and talked to them for about 5 minutes a piece.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

we dont have them unless youre kids are failing or misbehaves
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I posted about our conferences a couple weeks ago and got some pretty interesting responses ;)

But mine are 7th and 9th grade and for both you go from teacher to teacher and spend about 5 - 10 minutes with each teacher. The HS had them all set up at tables in the gym. The Jr High had each teacher in their classroom. I generally enjoy conferences and except for the one little glitch I enjoyed them this time around too.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

leadfoot40 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm we dont have them unless youre kids are failing or misbehaves
Really? That's crazy to me! We have them twice a year here. Plus more meetings for children with challenges, as you have IEP meetings and such.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have student led conferences. We had them few weeks ago. DH usually attends them during his planning period. High/middle and elementary school are all right there together, so he just walks over there.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Right now they are not doing them. We get report cards with marks only, no comments at all, and no option to speak with the teacher at the school, as they are doing work to rule. Some teachers will still talk on the phone but it is only to talk about the students progress. Damn teachers strike.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm We have student led conferences. We had them few weeks ago. DH usually attends them during his planning period. High/middle and elementary school are all right there together, so he just walks over there.
That's nice. Out of 50 conferences (we started in early childhood), my DH has been to 0! *grumbles* He has deemed it, "my thing".
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm Right now they are not doing them. We get report cards with marks only, no comments at all, and no option to speak with the teacher at the school, as they are doing work to rule. Some teachers will still talk on the phone but it is only to talk about the students progress. Damn teachers strike.
I actually wouldn't mind that part of the strike, LOL. But that's a bummer for you children and school and teachers, that they are all going through that.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I homeschool...no conferences for me. Well, unless you want to count that I just told my freshman that she owed me a paragraph and she said I'd have it tonight. Okey dokey...you have all 100s so far, so I trust you kid. The 7th grader? Sigh.. we had a conference this morning about what she needs to do this school year since we just started 3 weeks ago and she is not doing well thus far. She is struggling with the online tests/quizzes. She keeps locking herself out of them and accidentally submitting them before she is finished which means failing since it is not complete..I told her she has got to be more mindful of what she is doing when taking them. She's killing me.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm I homeschool...no conferences for me. Well, unless you want to count that I just told my freshman that she owed me a paragraph and she said I'd have it tonight. Okey dokey...you have all 100s so far, so I trust you kid. The 7th grader? Sigh.. we had a conference this morning about what she needs to do this school year since we just started 3 weeks ago and she is not doing well thus far. She is struggling with the online tests/quizzes. She keeps locking herself out of them and accidentally submitting them before she is finished which means failing since it is not complete..I told her she has got to be more mindful of what she is doing when taking them. She's killing me.
6 years ago with one child attending school, I erroneously believed, I could homeschool. I mean, I never tried, but I truly thought, with all my schooling and accomplishments, "sure, I could do that". Fast forward 6 years, it truly feels like a grand feat to just read to 2 of my children for 20-60 minutes, assist with math for 15 minutes and do sight words for 2 minutes, per night HAHA! Hats off to you, it would KILL me...
Locked Previous topicNext topic