I think I ate spoiled ground beef.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:40 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm I live life dangerously, lol.

I thaw meat at room temp.
I use oxidized ground meat with no reservations.
I eat dough with raw eggs.
I throw frozen meat in crock pot.
I use dried beans in crockpots.
I use sous vide meat at low temps.
I eat rare to medium rare steaks.
Sometimes I still rinse off my chicken, lol.

We must be one hardy family, I guess, lol, *knock on wood* we have not gotten ill from food borne illness yet!

I hope you guys are OK!

I do all of these things too! Growing up we had all that and worse. Buying yogurt or cheese with mold on it because it was marked down to almost nothing, and trimming all that off, eating stuff that was soooo far expired.... I'm convinced everything I ate as a kid helped me develop an iron-clad stomach and I guess in a lot of ways I'm providing the same for my own kids. Just another one of those things they probably don't appreciate 😅
lol, my mother did too. I guess, that is why I'm not overly worried.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We must be one hardy family, I guess, lol, *knock on wood* we have not gotten ill from food borne illness yet!

I hope you guys are OK!
I do those things and eat leftovers that I probably should throw away. I hate throwing away food. I did have gastroenteritis once which I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. But I'm not sure where that came from.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:40 pm

I hope you guys are OK!

I do all of these things too! Growing up we had all that and worse. Buying yogurt or cheese with mold on it because it was marked down to almost nothing, and trimming all that off, eating stuff that was soooo far expired.... I'm convinced everything I ate as a kid helped me develop an iron-clad stomach and I guess in a lot of ways I'm providing the same for my own kids. Just another one of those things they probably don't appreciate 😅
lol, my mother did too. I guess, that is why I'm not overly worried.
Funny a friend of mine just sent me this!
Tainted beef is not the same as spoiled beef. If your beef is "bad" due to spoilage, other bacteria are at work than those that cause food poisoning. In most cases, they give the meat a bad odor or surface slime, but do not cause noticeable symptoms if eaten.

However, their presence means the meat is decomposing and should be thrown away. Note that only the bacteria that cause spoilage produce an odor. You cannot judge whether beef is tainted with bacteria that will cause food poisoning by smelling it, according to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/5167 ... ound-beef/
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm

I hope you guys are OK!
I do those things and eat leftovers that I probably should throw away. I hate throwing away food. I did have gastroenteritis once which I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. But I'm not sure where that came from.
Out of all the risky things I do, the only thing I got a touch sick from was a Coffee maker! and then we've have viral gastroenteritis run through the family of course.

My DH eats a lot of left-overs past their prime, but he's got a microbiome in him that could probably take on raw chicken, LOL.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:01 pm

I hope you guys are OK!
Out of all the risky things I do, the only thing I got a touch sick from was a Coffee maker! and then we've have viral gastroenteritis run through the family of course.

My DH eats a lot of left-overs past their prime, but he's got a microbiome in him that could probably take on raw chicken, LOL.
My friend go so sick with food poisoning, it was traced back to rice that was left out to cool. She found out then that rice is one of the worst foods for poisoning when it is left out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I hope you guys are OK!

A coffee maker! Never would have thoght that could make you sick.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

I know! I had a lot of guilt when I realized what made me ill (2 days in a row, lol, I didn't learn my lesson after one time -- thought it was a "tummy bug") that my kitchen appliance would be that gross. I wash the actual pot & lid regularly, but I was not running vinegar through the tank and letting the filter area fill with vinegar. So that is now part of my usual monthly cleaning routine.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

I know! I had a lot of guilt when I realized what made me ill (2 days in a row, lol, I didn't learn my lesson after one time -- thought it was a "tummy bug") that my kitchen appliance would be that gross. I wash the actual pot & lid regularly, but I was not running vinegar through the tank and letting the filter area fill with vinegar. So that is now part of my usual monthly cleaning routine.
Glad you were able to find the culprit!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I hope you guys are OK!
I make caesar salad dressing with a raw egg.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 4

Unread post

After reading this, I don't know how in the world I survived childhood, lol.
Locked Previous topicNext topic