Toxic people.

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:03 am I could see when it's family, especially a parent, that it can be difficult to cut them out of your life. On some level you feel an obligation and can't just completely walk away. My mom wasn't the most toxic, but her alcoholism made her a level of toxic you could say, and I never really did completely cut her out. I would go long periods of time without communicating with her, but never completely cut her out. It was like still being a child on some level and still needing her on some level. It's hard to explain.

Now if we are talking about say a casual friend who you've discovered is toxic, that should be easier to just drop them and move on. They haven't been a part of your entire life like a parent or sibling has.
How bad was your mom with her addiction? Mine was pretty bad :-(
Throughout my childhood she went through various stages of functional and not functional. But there were definitely times that she was pretty bad.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

When I was in my early 20s, I stopped talking to my father for about 2 years. I had been angry with him because I felt that he was the cause of our family falling apart. I could not understand how he was willing to choose the BOTTLE over his FAMILY (or me). The thought that he was choosing it over me was too much for me. So, I walked away.

But I think all kids want their parents in their lives. And so, somehow I worked my way back to my father. I grew to understand the disease. And then, I had about 15 years of time with him before he died. I have no regrets. And I miss my dad. :(

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:03 am I could see when it's family, especially a parent, that it can be difficult to cut them out of your life. On some level you feel an obligation and can't just completely walk away. My mom wasn't the most toxic, but her alcoholism made her a level of toxic you could say, and I never really did completely cut her out. I would go long periods of time without communicating with her, but never completely cut her out. It was like still being a child on some level and still needing her on some level. It's hard to explain.

Now if we are talking about say a casual friend who you've discovered is toxic, that should be easier to just drop them and move on. They haven't been a part of your entire life like a parent or sibling has.
How bad was your mom with her addiction? Mine was pretty bad :-(
Throughout my childhood she went through various stages of functional and not functional. But there were definitely times that she was pretty bad.
Locked Previous topicNext topic