Doomsday preppers.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I can understand people prepping for disasters, storing food, water and storing medical supplies, when they believe this life is all there is. But when they truly an deeply believe that there is a spectacular afterlife waiting for them when this life has ended, why would they try so hard to hold onto this life? When they say they believe in a God that promises to supply them with all their needs, wouldn't years of obsessive doomsday prepping be evidence of having a lack of faith?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm I can understand people prepping for disasters, storing food, water and storing medical supplies, when they believe this life is all there is. But when they truly an deeply believe that there is a spectacular afterlife waiting for them when this life has ended, why would they try so hard to hold onto this life? When they say they believe in a God that promises to supply them with all their needs, wouldn't years of obsessive doomsday prepping be evidence of having a lack of faith?
I know a fair number of doomsday preppers - some are religious and some aren't. The ones who aren't just want to survive kind of indefinitely. The ones who are just want to survive until the rapture. My DH and I are just glad that we know where their bug outs are so we're good whatever happens.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Nothing wrong with wanting your human life to last as long as possible. I don't think it could be considered evidence of having a lack of faith. Heaven's Gate and Jonestown (only the suicide victims, not the murdered people) are good examples of how wrong being anxious to leave this earth can be.
I'm agnostic, but I can appreciate other's faith.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Interesting point.

I definitely don't want to die yet and hope that I live a few more decades at least, but I'm not afraid to die. I mean, whether you believe there is a better afterlife, or life is just done, what is there to fear about death? The only thing I fear is a potential agonizing death, but that's fear of the pain, not fear of death itself.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm Interesting point.

I definitely don't want to die yet and hope that I live a few more decades at least, but I'm not afraid to die. I mean, whether you believe there is a better afterlife, or life is just done, what is there to fear about death? The only thing I fear is a potential agonizing death, but that's fear of the pain, not fear of death itself.
I’m scared to die. I’m scared to leave my kids without a mom. Dh without a wife. I’m scared to be left alone.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm

I’m scared to die. I’m scared to leave my kids without a mom. Dh without a wife. I’m scared to be left alone.
It definitely wouldn't be an ideal situation if I died, but I know DH can handle it and he can help the boys handle it and there would be a ton of family support crawling out of the woodwork to help them through it. So to my mind, not desirable but not something to fear.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I call it believe in God but tie your camel tight. For all I know that disaster- such as the next hurricane- isn't going to kill me. Therefore I want to be prepared.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Your dh can remarry. Your kids will get married and start their own family. You'll be fine.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I have a pretty big fear of death as well mainly because I worry about our kids.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Doomsday preppers are nothing more than low level hoarders that use "Doomsday" and preparedness to excuse their condition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic