I need some help saying something tactful

Deleted User 670

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm My niece is a darling girl. She is truly amazingly smart,kind and just wonderful. I love her very much not just as my niece but also a friend. So it’s truly important to me to get this right. It’s no surprise to anyone that I’m a pretty blunt and tactless person so need help with the words.

My niece is 7 months gone with a sweet,baby girl after many years of infertility. She has announced the name last night at family dinner. Such a beautiful name and she just lit up when saying it. The only issue is that the middle name is the same as my daughter’s name. I have absolutely no issue with it being the same. I’m also not under the impression that her sweet little one is being named after mine. It’s a very,very common name in Catholicism. Here’s the problem niece keeps over explaining why she picked the name and how much she loves the name,asking me if it bothers me and if it does bother me that she will change. I keep telling her I love and it’s perfect and I have no problem with it. But she still keeps overexposing,defending etc..... What can I say tactfully that she has every right to named her precious little one whatever she wants and I will love it the same, I really want to do this right so her feelings don’t get hurt because of my brashness. Can anyone help? Valentina, Mom of 3 anyone?
She's hormonal. Just keep assuring her that you're honored and thrilled that she's naming her baby after your daughter and that you cannot wait to meet your grand-niece (or whatever the proper generational referral is)
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Every time she starts to go into why she chose the name she did, you could mention what you said in your original post...that "the name ANN is a very common middle name used by many Catholics." (Like how I chose the name ANN? lol)
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:48 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:19 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm I would just let it be. Just keep assuring her that you really don't mind and she'll move on with time. No need to make a thing and have a confrontation about it, once the baby is born she'll be too busy and distracted and will move on.
You are truly delusional. You have been on this board long enough to know that’s not how I work. Especially when I’m not the one ever bringing it up and you know we have words ourselves and you know I don’t work that way. You know I say it the way it is
Overreact much?
Damn.🥴
The post is an overreaction, among other things.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

I might say something like..people don't own a name. Names are out there for anyone to use.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The next time she says it, just tell her that you think it's a beautiful name, and you love that your daughter's will share a middle name. That simple.

QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:01 pm Every time she starts to go into why she chose the name she did, you could mention what you said in your original post...that "the name ANN is a very common middle name used by many Catholics." (Like how I chose the name ANN? lol)
Veryinteresting. My middle name is Ann. However, the middle name in question is actually Marie
Locked Previous topicNext topic