Anemia help

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14 pm Listen to your vet, and just continue giving your girl the love she's always gotten. You've already gotten more years than what is usual, so keep that in mind.

I'm definitely grateful! I think her long life so far is at least partly due to how happy she is to be alive, honestly. Thanks.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do you have the actual blood cell counts? Did they check a Vitamin B12 level?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 pm Do you have the actual blood cell counts? Did they check a Vitamin B12 level?

She did do red blood cell count. I don't remember about b12. I'm starting to see I need to get the records so I can see all the numbers.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:18 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm I'd be concerned about cancer, specifically hemangioma sarcoma which causes anemia. I'd also be concerned about kidney disease because the kidneys produce EPO (erythropoietin) which stimulates red blood cell production in the bone marrow and when the kidneys aren't functioning properly they don't make enough EPO and anemia results. So you might want to investigate things further. If her kidney's aren't functioning properly, you might want to start her on 100-200mg of CoQ10. There are studies showing that high doses of coQ10 help kidney and liver functioning. Giving her a good multivitamin supplement with iron is a good start though. Zarbees has xylitol which is toxic to dogs and cats. You really should find another supplement.

Eek I will look into a different supplement. I didn't know that. My vet didn't mention it.

The vet did test her kidney function and said they were fine but I'm not exactly sure what was tested about them. I need to look into the erythropoietin!

If she has some kind of cancer there's no way I'm putting her through cancer treatment. :(

Thank you Pink! I was hoping you would let me know what you thought. This is very helpful.
If your girl's kidney function is in the normal range, then her EPO is probably fine too. It only gets depleted in renal failure and vets recommend EPO injections to help with the anemia. So that might not be an issue with her.

But I would definitely recommend you get a copy of the labs and have the vet explain to you for each of the values if they're normal or inching towards being high.

Starting her on CoQ10 will help her heart, kidneys and liver. And it has immune-boosting properties too.

I'd get a separate liver supplement. You can't go wrong with desiccated liver powder. There's one on amazon from Argentina raised beef that I've used and the cats and dogs all like it. If she's really anemic (not just a little), I recommend Solgar's Gentle Iron because it comes in a capsule and you can break it open and sprinkle it on her food in the amount the vet suggests (1/2 or whole capsule). It's highly absorbable and doesn't cause constipation. There's 25mg of iron in one capsule so using 1/2 a capsule a 90 count bottle will last 6 months and only cost around $10.

There's also a bacon flavored liquid b-complex by RX on amazon that is Patches approved. It was one of the supplements I was giving her when her liver was having problems. She liked it and didn't call me nasty names when I squirted it down her throat. And it has extra amino acids that'll help your old girl.
https://www.amazon.com/Rx-Vitamins-Pets ... ast_sto_dp

You might want to try this for the Vitamin A.
https://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Health-V ... hpc&sr=1-5

One drop is about 5,000iu. It's comparable to the amount in this multi vite liquid for pets.
https://www.entirelypets.com/hivitedrops.html#tabs-3
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 pm Do you have the actual blood cell counts? Did they check a Vitamin B12 level?

She did do red blood cell count. I don't remember about b12. I'm starting to see I need to get the records so I can see all the numbers.
In addition to iron, Vitamin B12 is an essential component to produce red blood cells. As it comes from meat, most dogs have enough, but elders (this is common in humans) have decreased absorption in their gut which can lead to deficiency as well. The vet probably checked it, but I thought I would mention.

I don't know dogs, but I know people, anemia of chronic disease, is just part of life, once the bone marrow production slows down, there's not a lot we can do to speed in up. Although if your puppy was iron deficient, remember it takes months to rebuild those stores, so that might continue to help.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thank you ladies for being so helpful.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Beans are high in iron, but I don't know if you can give those to a dog or not. I wouldn't see why not. Although the gas she lets out may drive you from the room.

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm I'd be concerned about cancer, specifically hemangioma sarcoma which causes anemia. I'd also be concerned about kidney disease because the kidneys produce EPO (erythropoietin) which stimulates red blood cell production in the bone marrow and when the kidneys aren't functioning properly they don't make enough EPO and anemia results. So you might want to investigate things further. If her kidney's aren't functioning properly, you might want to start her on 100-200mg of CoQ10. There are studies showing that high doses of coQ10 help kidney and liver functioning. Giving her a good multivitamin supplement with iron is a good start though. Zarbees has xylitol which is toxic to dogs and cats. You really should find another supplement.

Eek I will look into a different supplement. I didn't know that. My vet didn't mention it.

The vet did test her kidney function and said they were fine but I'm not exactly sure what was tested about them. I need to look into the erythropoietin!

If she has some kind of cancer there's no way I'm putting her through cancer treatment. :(

Thank you Pink! I was hoping you would let me know what you thought. This is very helpful.
She is the supplement whisperer, isn't she? She always has something interesting to contribute on these things.

I have no advice on this topic, but just want to wish you and your girl good luck on getting this sorted out. ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

If your girl's kidney function is in the normal range, then her EPO is probably fine too. It only gets depleted in renal failure and vets recommend EPO injections to help with the anemia. So that might not be an issue with her.

But I would definitely recommend you get a copy of the labs and have the vet explain to you for each of the values if they're normal or inching towards being high.

Starting her on CoQ10 will help her heart, kidneys and liver. And it has immune-boosting properties too.

I'd get a separate liver supplement. You can't go wrong with desiccated liver powder. There's one on amazon from Argentina raised beef that I've used and the cats and dogs all like it. If she's really anemic (not just a little), I recommend Solgar's Gentle Iron because it comes in a capsule and you can break it open and sprinkle it on her food in the amount the vet suggests (1/2 or whole capsule). It's highly absorbable and doesn't cause constipation. There's 25mg of iron in one capsule so using 1/2 a capsule a 90 count bottle will last 6 months and only cost around $10.

There's also a bacon flavored liquid b-complex by RX on amazon that is Patches approved. It was one of the supplements I was giving her when her liver was having problems. She liked it and didn't call me nasty names when I squirted it down her throat. And it has extra amino acids that'll help your old girl.

One drop is about 5,000iu. It's comparable to the amount in this multi vite liquid for pets.
As always, very informative. I think I'm switching to the bacon flavored B! :lol:

How is Ms. Patches doing anyway? All healed up from her toe issue?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

As always, very informative. I think I'm switching to the bacon flavored B! :lol:

How is Ms. Patches doing anyway? All healed up from her toe issue?
She's all healed up and doing great. Thanks for asking.
Locked Previous topicNext topic