Do you hide certain things from people?

Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t “hide” things but at the same time if I don’t know you well, or our relationship doesn’t warrant it I don’t share every nuance that is my life.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People in America don't really know my religion, but everyone at home does.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I hide a lot of things, from a lot of people, for a wide variety of reasons. Mostly, I'm just an extremely private person.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm I'm an open book to my dh & kids but I hide from every one else that my dh is abusive. Every one thinks hes the greatest husband ever.
OMG, that's awful. I am so sorry.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 pm It is so sad that struggles with mood, depression and mental health are still so difficult for people to make public. I understand the reasons, just wish as a culture we had more compassion and acceptance of the range of human experience.
It is. It's taken my family years to even try to come to understanding. I've been told all kinds of things. FLush it, let it go, get over it, you're an attention seeker, you're lazy, you're crazy, etc. It's hurtful and undermines recovery. It's also embarrassing.
I have found NAMI very helpful. I've gained a much better understanding of specific conditions, and I've learned a lot by listening to the long-term experiences of other families.
https://www.nami.org/About-NAMI
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:58 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 pm It is so sad that struggles with mood, depression and mental health are still so difficult for people to make public. I understand the reasons, just wish as a culture we had more compassion and acceptance of the range of human experience.
I've been a lot more open about my mental health struggles in the last couple of years but I still don't share everything. For some reason I have a hard time sharing my OCD diagnosis with some people. I was diagnosed last May and I still haven't told most people. I don't know why.
It sounds like you are finding your own comfort level. There is no reason to feel you must share with everyone - and having confidence in your own sense of who to trust is important. Terms like "OCD" are sometimes used lightly and thrown around without much meaning, and it leads to a lot of misinformation.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't hide anything but I'm not going around telling every nosy bitch my business because it's none of theirs. I'm not so emotionally stunted I need the constant attention, opinions, or validation of strangers I pass on the street or in online forums. That speaks to deeper issues and you might want to get a therapist .
Anonymous 11

Unread post

No one truly knows 100% about me. It gets lonely at times.
It's something I've considered going to a therapist about, just so that I can unload my soul to SOMEONE without judgement.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I sure do.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm I'm an open book to my dh & kids but I hide from every one else that my dh is abusive. Every one thinks hes the greatest husband ever.
Hugs.
Locked Previous topicNext topic