At what age do you let your kids REALLY cook if they show interest?

Anonymous 8

Unread post

LMAO
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:16 pm My kids start helping me really cook at 2, I handle the hot and sharp things and give instructions, but they are actively helping. They are allowed to cook on their own once they are about six as long as there is an adult around, we have Safety knives that do really chop and cut, but they can't accidentally stab themselves or get more than a knick, and we supervise anything with flames and getting things in and out of the oven. My nine year old is allowed to use the real knives, with an adult around, but still needs an adult around to supervise anything with flames. My biggest concern isn't an accidental cut or burn, anyone can do that no matter the age and it isn't a serious injury. im more worried just because no matter how careful they are, we have high counters so they need to stand on a step stool and I don't want to risk them slipping off while holding a knife or working over a hot pan without an adult there.
Attachments
baby-shark-sushi-med.jpg
baby-shark-sushi-med.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It has to be pretty gradual, start with small tasks early on, but by 6-7 they should be able to do these things if they have been in the kitchen long enough to watch you do those things. I’ve seen 8, 9, 10 year olds on Masterchef Junior flambéing and using a blowtorch.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:57 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am
Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am It's the mess that would concern me most. Those cakes make huge messes if you're not cleaning as you go and kids are not usually doing that.
That’s a parenting fail not a kid fail
I don't think that's a failure on anyone's part. Kids take a long time to have cleanliness come naturally. That's not a bad thing, their brains are structured for new experiences and imagination. Cleanliness and organization come later.
Hey it took me cooking in a small kitchen to teach me clean as you go. I'm horrible about it. I despite cleaning. But I used an oven probably at eight so that's when my kids did it. Mess can be cleaned. Unless they're dropping eggs on the floor that doesn't bother me.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:26 pm
Tigress22304 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 pm SD18 and DD15 have NO interest
it's more like "here I want this-make it for me"

With SS13 he was about 11/12 when he said he wanted to learn how to make food.

We are just now getting into baking-he's excellent at meats/BBQ/grilling etc
He is always supervised just in case he needs backup.
You are an idiot for making it for them.They would be going hungry until they learned to make it themselves
When I was a teenager my parents had us cook dinner because they worked long hours. One night my brother didn't cook for them. He only cooked for himself and his girlfriend using their food. I wasn't living there by then but I heard the fallout wasn't pretty.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mine showed a real interest in cooking when she was 8 after we had taken kiddie cooking classes. She is now 15 and handles herself pretty well in the kitchen(cooking/cooking safety/ meal prep/cleaning). She prepared a full Thanksgiving dinner last year...
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My youngest started around 9 or 10, she's 13 and quite the baker.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I'd just be happy that the kid is wanting to and IS cooking for himself. I wouldn't care if he cleaned up as he cooked. He may learn to do that later on down the line.
Tigress22304
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:26 pm
Tigress22304 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 pm SD18 and DD15 have NO interest
it's more like "here I want this-make it for me"

With SS13 he was about 11/12 when he said he wanted to learn how to make food.

We are just now getting into baking-he's excellent at meats/BBQ/grilling etc
He is always supervised just in case he needs backup.
You are an idiot for making it for them.They would be going hungry until they learned to make it themselves

Then I'm an idiot because DD15 has mental retardation which means she's got the mindset of a 5yr old

It is one thing to make something for them and have them watch/mimic so they can learn-it's another to not teach your kids how to do basic life chores. Such as making food for themselves.

Both my girls can feed themselves-they can make a bowl of oatmeal/cereal/sandwich etc

{Kat}
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm LMAO
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:16 pm My kids start helping me really cook at 2, I handle the hot and sharp things and give instructions, but they are actively helping. They are allowed to cook on their own once they are about six as long as there is an adult around, we have Safety knives that do really chop and cut, but they can't accidentally stab themselves or get more than a knick, and we supervise anything with flames and getting things in and out of the oven. My nine year old is allowed to use the real knives, with an adult around, but still needs an adult around to supervise anything with flames. My biggest concern isn't an accidental cut or burn, anyone can do that no matter the age and it isn't a serious injury. im more worried just because no matter how careful they are, we have high counters so they need to stand on a step stool and I don't want to risk them slipping off while holding a knife or working over a hot pan without an adult there.

This is the lady who said her baby-who had literally just turned 1 at the time-also did chores by helping to organize and put away shoes lol.

Yeah every 1 year old I know would chew on or bang the shoes. They have no concept of organization even if they did understand to put something away.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 am
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm LMAO

This is the lady who said her baby-who had literally just turned 1 at the time-also did chores by helping to organize and put away shoes lol.

Yeah every 1 year old I know would chew on or bang the shoes. They have no concept of organization even if they did understand to put something away.
"Put the shoe in the bin" is something the majority of 1.5 year olds can understand.
Locked Previous topicNext topic