At what age do you let your kids REALLY cook if they show interest?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids start helping me really cook at 2, I handle the hot and sharp things and give instructions, but they are actively helping. They are allowed to cook on their own once they are about six as long as there is an adult around, we have Safety knives that do really chop and cut, but they can't accidentally stab themselves or get more than a knick, and we supervise anything with flames and getting things in and out of the oven. My nine year old is allowed to use the real knives, with an adult around, but still needs an adult around to supervise anything with flames. My biggest concern isn't an accidental cut or burn, anyone can do that no matter the age and it isn't a serious injury. im more worried just because no matter how careful they are, we have high counters so they need to stand on a step stool and I don't want to risk them slipping off while holding a knife or working over a hot pan without an adult there.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:10 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:57 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am

That’s a parenting fail not a kid fail

I don't think that's a failure on anyone's part. Kids take a long time to have cleanliness come naturally. That's not a bad thing, their brains are structured for new experiences and imagination. Cleanliness and organization come late

They learn by example and parents teaching them if they see you cleaning as you go and if you teach them how to clean a kitchen properly then there is no issue. Like I said parenting fail

If mine learned everything just by watching me, well, I wouldn't have to tell them so much. They need consistent reminders to do the things that aren't as fun before they establish those kinds of habits.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

It has always been a gradual process here and based on each kid. My kids start cutting with butter knives at 2-3. By 5 they are using a sharp knife with very close supervision. They continue with close supervision until I feel they are ready to cut safely without it. My oldest was 7 when he was ready but my youngest is 9 and is just now ready.
Both started putting stuff in the oven at 4 with help and reminders. By 5 they could do that alone.
By 7 they were cooking full meals alone with a few exceptions. My youngest had to have supervision with sharp knives and neither of them are allowed to fry foods or cook on the stove with large amounts of oil. My 9 year old still asks for help draining pasta because shes afraid she will burn herself. They have each been responsible for dinner once a week for a year now.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Probably 10 or 11 as long as an adult is in the kitchen supervising. I saw a youtube video recently with a little boy, couldn't have been more than 4 years old. He made fried rice for himself and his little brother on a wok sitting over a small open flame surrounded by what looks like a small metal frame for the wok to sit on. He poured in oil in the wok from a gallon jug. He cracked the eggs and fried them and then each of the rest of the ingredients stooping over a wok. He kept going off-camera into his house for ingredients so I'm pretty sure that there were adults nearby. I was pretty impressed with his stir-fry skills. But I must admit it made me very nervous to have two small children near an open fire and hot oil like that.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

It depends on the kid.

I'm always in the kitchen (it seems). So, if my kid expressed an interest in cooking or baking, I'd let him/her start doing in with my supervision.

OP, you could always have your interest kiddo take a class at your local community college. They will start with teaching SAFETY IN THE KITCHEN.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Helping 5-6.
Knives independently 8.
Cook my meal for me while I lounge 12-13.
Tigress22304
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SD18 and DD15 have NO interest
it's more like "here I want this-make it for me"

With SS13 he was about 11/12 when he said he wanted to learn how to make food.

We are just now getting into baking-he's excellent at meats/BBQ/grilling etc
He is always supervised just in case he needs backup.

{Kat}
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Tigress22304 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 pm SD18 and DD15 have NO interest
it's more like "here I want this-make it for me"

With SS13 he was about 11/12 when he said he wanted to learn how to make food.

We are just now getting into baking-he's excellent at meats/BBQ/grilling etc
He is always supervised just in case he needs backup.
You are an idiot for making it for them.They would be going hungry until they learned to make it themselves
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ve started letting my 8 year old, under my supervision, chop things and put things or take things out of the oven with big whole hand oven mitts. We’ve also started working on cracking eggs and stuff.

My 12 year old has just recently started showing interest so I’ve been letting her follow basic recipes from start to finish under my supervision.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:14 am At 12 with me supervising
Locked Previous topicNext topic