Apparently missing 4 days in the first semester is excessive

Crazymom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I got a nastygram from the school district saying my daughter had missed an excessive amount of school this year. She missed 4 days, 2 of which we had a dr note for because she had the flu and was sick almost all of her fall break plus the 2 days before it. The other 2 she was puking so I figured they probably didn’t want her at school. All were excused absences. I’m not sure why all of the sudden they changed the way they handle absences (It’s never been an issue before unless it was more than 3 days in a row or a parent didn’t call to excuse the absence) but apparently if she misses any more school there could be consequences. 😐 it’s cold and flu season and my kid picks up every damn thing that goes around, if Bobby joe that sits 4 rows back has strep my kid is going to also get strep. Yes, she washes her hands (sometimes too much) and no, her immune system is not compromised. Also she’s in middle school and unless she’s just too sick to sit up she does most of the work she’s missed online so it’s not even affecting her grades. All I can see this policy accomplishing is parents sending their sick kids to school which in turn will make more kids sick.
I guess we now go to the doctor for everything and if they try to do anything aside from more letters I will have doctors notes to prove she needed to stay home.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Our school district did not count doctors notes, they helped but they considered any absence an I excused absence. It was ridiculous.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My kid missed like 25 days in K and 1st grade. All of them legitimate illnesses. All of them she caught from school. From the stomach virus to the flu to tonsillitis and all the other illnesses in between. I had valid doctor's notes for the ones that she was out for several days. She was home for over a week with the tonsilitis and a very scary fever that didn't want to break too. I got a call from the school's 'social worker'. I told her to look at the child's report card. She was a very good student. Every subject was marked "Exceeds". I made sure to keep up with her school work and homework. She was never behind. All of her absences were excused. I can understand why that school was such a forking germ factory. Parents were afraid to keep their sick child home for fear of social services being on their ass, so they sent their kids to school sick.
Crazymom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 am My kid missed like 25 days in K and 1st grade. All of them legitimate illnesses. All of them she caught from school. From the stomach virus to the flu to tonsillitis and all the other illnesses in between. I had valid doctor's notes for the ones that she was out for several days. She was home for over a week the tonsilitis with a very scary fever that didn't want to break too. I got a call from the school's 'social worker'. I told her to look at the child's report card. She was a very good student. Every subject was marked "Exceeds". I made sure to keep up with her school work and homework. She was never behind. All of her absences were excused. I can understand why that school was such a forking germ factory. Parents were afraid to keep their sick child home for fear of social services being on their ass, so they sent their kids to school sick.
Yeah, I’m not sending my kid to school sick. I don’t get their reasoning school policy is 24 hours with no fever or vomiting but if your kid misses a couple days they give you shit. Apparently they can only get sick on weekends.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

People get all worked up over this stuff on here but I've never seen anything come of these things in real life over 4 days of excused absences, despite whatever form letter gets sent home or whatever the policy is.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Wow.

My DD (12) missed 4 days so far this school year and was actually commended by her teachers for being one of few who have great attendance.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 am People get all worked up over this stuff on here but I've never seen anything come of these things in real life over 4 days of excused absences, despite whatever form letter gets sent home or whatever the policy is.
Me either.
I did once get a letter where they threatened to call CPS over tardiness. I was going through a rough year and ds was tardy by minutes a few times. This was kindergarten so I don't know the number. I'd say six in a month I think. I made more of an effort after that but I thought the letter a bit overkill. It wasn't unexcused absences... just tardiness by five minutes.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Crazymom wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 pm I got a nastygram from the school district saying my daughter had missed an excessive amount of school this year. She missed 4 days, 2 of which we had a dr note for because she had the flu and was sick almost all of her fall break plus the 2 days before it. The other 2 she was puking so I figured they probably didn’t want her at school. All were excused absences. I’m not sure why all of the sudden they changed the way they handle absences (It’s never been an issue before unless it was more than 3 days in a row or a parent didn’t call to excuse the absence) but apparently if she misses any more school there could be consequences. 😐 it’s cold and flu season and my kid picks up every damn thing that goes around, if Bobby joe that sits 4 rows back has strep my kid is going to also get strep. Yes, she washes her hands (sometimes too much) and no, her immune system is not compromised. Also she’s in middle school and unless she’s just too sick to sit up she does most of the work she’s missed online so it’s not even affecting her grades. All I can see this policy accomplishing is parents sending their sick kids to school which in turn will make more kids sick.
I guess we now go to the doctor for everything and if they try to do anything aside from more letters I will have doctors notes to prove she needed to stay home.
The States are demanding it be handled this way. It isn't the schools decision ran into this last year.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They’ve called me at least 8 times this year saying Ds wasn’t at school that day. He rides the bus and I know he was there. He’s 16 and very special needs so there’s no reason for them to count him absent(he can’t be unsupervised). It’s very frustrating. I told his teacher and apparently they took care of it. I hope you get it worked out soon. The schools are pretty ridiculous in these matters sometimes.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My oldest had strep yesterday. I called him in, an hour later we were at the clinic and I get a call from the school telling me he was marked absent. I'm like "yeah, I called him in at 8" What's the point of me calling if they don't even mark it down. lol. He and I had a good laugh about it.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic