I cant keep up!

LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’ll be honest, once mine hit the upper grade levels with multiple teachers I was lucky to remember a couple of the teachers names, AND it’s a smallish school so really it shouldn’t have been that complicated but who had what teacher was just to much. That was the point where they had to be responsible for this stuff.

If they had a program and failed to tell me, oh well. I did not drop everything to go, even if it meant a bad grade. They learned quickly, yours will too.

Oh and make a separate email account that is just for the school. Nothing gets lost that way.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:25 pm Aren’t you taking meds to help you? And write everything down!
The meds dont help with anything but to slow things down and make me feel a little calmer for a short time. I still struggle with time management, focusing, memory. When/if ever I find the time, I am hoping to get into cognitive therapy to see if that will help. Writing things down only helps when I can remember to stop and look at what I wrote down. I write things down all the time.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:29 pm Is there a reason why you have to be so involved with their teachers? I know you said your son has a 504, but I don't know what it's for.
My daughter's teachers seem to think its up to me to keep track of everything. We've had this discussion earlier and I explained to them what I am dealing with.

My son is dyslexic. He struggles in some classes as a result. His teachers and I communicate about his grades , things we can do to improves them, opportunities to help him with his grades, modifications that he needs, community service opportunities etc. Im not sure if it will be this way next year. I think this has been a learning curve/transitional school year for all of us. Maybe next year it will be better.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:05 pm I now have 2 students in grades where the have multiple teachers. My 5th grader now has 4 teachers, along with her co-curr teachers, and I have a 9th grader with all of his classes and whatnot. I have to admit, I'm not the best at juggling this shit at all. It sounds like a dumb thing to fumble over, but Im really finding it hard to keep up! Not to mention on top of all these teachers I have to keep up with, I have severe ADHD and for the most part I'm having to do it on my own (my husband works out of town).

There was an open house tonight at my daughter's school. Apparently they had sone kind of performance too. I didn't find out about it until the last minute. I had scheduled my sons 504 meeting at that time. Some how that email that they sent was flooded out by the other emails that I get everyday from their teachers and school letters etc. My daughter didn't tell me anything about it.

Anyways I feel like I'm sinking this year. This is new territory for me. I was doing okay with how things were last year. One kid had one teacher, and I dealt a little better with the other teachers. I feel like I'm being pulled apart. And whats scary.... I have another child that will start school next year. And my daughter will officially be in middle school too..... thats at least 17 teacher's that I'm going to have to remember, and stay on top of in addition to everything thing else thats going on in our lives.

The point is, I hope I will learn to get into the groove of this soon. This threw me for a loop. I know it shouldn't be so hard and probably isn't for the majority of parents out there. But this is too much for my ADHD, non memory having, no catagory having brain.
Your kids are old enough to be able to keep track of upcoming events and issue you a reminder when something is happening. Have them start to do that, then you won't be so frazzled.

Do you keep a calendar? Use the calendar on your phone, set yourself reminders that will pop up and set an alarm an hour before the event so that you have time to get ready and get there. The alarms work pretty well. I'll just be working along and forget about meetings if I don't have an alarm. Good luck!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 pm I’ll be honest, once mine hit the upper grade levels with multiple teachers I was lucky to remember a couple of the teachers names, AND it’s a smallish school so really it shouldn’t have been that complicated but who had what teacher was just to much. That was the point where they had to be responsible for this stuff.

If they had a program and failed to tell me, oh well. I did not drop everything to go, even if it meant a bad grade. They learned quickly, yours will too.

Oh and make a separate email account that is just for the school. Nothing gets lost that way.
Ive been having a hard time keeping up with names, and which teacher belongs to what child too. U less its stated in the beginning of the email.
I am planning on making a new email tonight. Hopefully that will help at least a little.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:02 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:29 pm Is there a reason why you have to be so involved with their teachers? I know you said your son has a 504, but I don't know what it's for.
My daughter's teachers seem to think its up to me to keep track of everything. We've had this discussion earlier and I explained to them what I am dealing with.

My son is dyslexic. He struggles in some classes as a result. His teachers and I communicate about his grades , things we can do to improves them, opportunities to help him with his grades, modifications that he needs, community service opportunities etc. Im not sure if it will be this way next year. I think this has been a learning curve/transitional school year for all of us. Maybe next year it will be better.
I know that children with unique learning needs take a village sometimes. And I know you know your children best. But I would just remind you, that as a 9th grader, your DS needs to start practicing following his own grades and advocating for his own accommodations & modifications in the classroom.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I'm sorry, that does sound difficult. It might help to get your grade school kid a 2 pocket folder. Lable one pocket "Homework to Turn In" and the other pocket "Stuff to Take Home to Mom". Then get her into the habit of putting her homework in it every night and you checking that folder every night for handouts, etc.

Once she hits high school you can stop attending parent/teacher conferences if she's doing ok grade wise.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:05 pm I now have 2 students in grades where the have multiple teachers. My 5th grader now has 4 teachers, along with her co-curr teachers, and I have a 9th grader with all of his classes and whatnot. I have to admit, I'm not the best at juggling this shit at all. It sounds like a dumb thing to fumble over, but Im really finding it hard to keep up! Not to mention on top of all these teachers I have to keep up with, I have severe ADHD and for the most part I'm having to do it on my own (my husband works out of town).

There was an open house tonight at my daughter's school. Apparently they had sone kind of performance too. I didn't find out about it until the last minute. I had scheduled my sons 504 meeting at that time. Some how that email that they sent was flooded out by the other emails that I get everyday from their teachers and school letters etc. My daughter didn't tell me anything about it.

Anyways I feel like I'm sinking this year. This is new territory for me. I was doing okay with how things were last year. One kid had one teacher, and I dealt a little better with the other teachers. I feel like I'm being pulled apart. And whats scary.... I have another child that will start school next year. And my daughter will officially be in middle school too..... thats at least 17 teacher's that I'm going to have to remember, and stay on top of in addition to everything thing else thats going on in our lives.

The point is, I hope I will learn to get into the groove of this soon. This threw me for a loop. I know it shouldn't be so hard and probably isn't for the majority of parents out there. But this is too much for my ADHD, non memory having, no catagory having brain.
Your kids are old enough to be able to keep track of upcoming events and issue you a reminder when something is happening. Have them start to do that, then you won't be so frazzled.

Do you keep a calendar? Use the calendar on your phone, set yourself reminders that will pop up and set an alarm an hour before the event so that you have time to get ready and get there. The alarms work pretty well. I'll just be working along and forget about meetings if I don't have an alarm. Good luck!
Her son has circumstances that require her to be more involved with his teachers. Not everyone becomes "old enough" at the same time.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Her son has circumstances that require her to be more involved with his teachers. Not everyone becomes "old enough" at the same time.
Well thank you so much for correcting me mom :?
You know specifically what his issues are?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:32 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Well thank you so much for correcting me mom :?
You know specifically what his issues are?
He has dyslexia.
Locked Previous topicNext topic