Why be so protective over the information?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DH is a recruiter, which means he works for an agency that places people into jobs for all sorts of clients, the clients being the companies that the employee will work for. DH also works from home doing this job so I hear his side of the conversations a lot.

When DH is gathering info from people to submit them for a job, one common piece of information needed is the person's birth month and birth date. NOT the year, just the month and date. It's a requirement by the client to have it as a security code thing. A lot of people question it but then when DH explains it then they are ok giving it. But I have heard multiple people give DH a really hard time about supplying their birth month and birth date.

An additional requirement by one of the clients DH is recruiting for - a well known nationwide bank - is that DH facetime or skype with the person just to have a quick 30 second conversation and get a snapshot of their face. Again, a requirement of the client, not the agency DH works for. People are sometimes hesitant about that as well but end up doing it.

But this morning DH had a particularly difficult candidate who really pushed back on both pieces of info and in the end refused to do the facetime. The conversation had to end with "Well I'm sorry you feel that way but unfortunately I won't be able to submit you for this job". The reason the client wants the facetime thing is because its actually a common scam that person A will submit their resume, then person B will interview and everything for the job, then on the first day of the job person A shows up to work. It's extremely dishonest in the least and the client is just trying to avoid that situation by having a face to match with from the beginning.

So my question is, why refuse those things unless you really are trying to pull something or trying to hide something? If you are on the up and up and want the job, why wouldn't you supply the birth month, birth date and your face? It makes no sense to me.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

People are having others do the interview for them?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

some people fear age discrimination. I know where I live you can't ask a person's age during a job interview, other than stating you are over 21. But they get around that by asking for HS and College graduation dates or transcripts.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 am People are having others do the interview for them?
According to DH yes, that is a problem that happens. Hence the reason for wanting a face to match to the resume from the beginning.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am some people fear age discrimination. I know where I live you can't ask a person's age during a job interview, other than stating you are over 21. But they get around that by asking for HS and College graduation dates or transcripts.
Except they are specifically NOT asking for the year. Just the month and day. How can I determine your age just by knowing you were born on March 12th? Showing your face might give away your general age range, but then you have to show your face at some point eventually anyway.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Because there are a lot of scammers on both sides. He's being protective of his information... Nothing really wrong with that. The guy isn't dealing with the company - he's dealing with a third party. Third parties could do anything with the information they gather.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hate giving out my birth date on social media. I would for a job though. Perhaps the guy was trying to pull a fast one.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I've been in executive search (recruiting) for over 15 years and have never heard of a client asking for any of that or have ever encountered a bait and switch for interviewing. Our candidates interview with their direct supervisor so it'd be pretty obvious. That is CRAZY! And yes, illegal to ask age but we do verify degrees (but not for an age thing).
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am
MonarchMom wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am some people fear age discrimination. I know where I live you can't ask a person's age during a job interview, other than stating you are over 21. But they get around that by asking for HS and College graduation dates or transcripts.
Except they are specifically NOT asking for the year. Just the month and day. How can I determine your age just by knowing you were born on March 12th? Showing your face might give away your general age range, but then you have to show your face at some point eventually anyway.
I see - misread your post
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Wouldn’t checking valid ID at the interview negate the need for that weirdness?
Locked Previous topicNext topic