It's soooo boring!!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

yeah, i am basically just doing this for my kids so they have a sense of extended family. i am not sure what will be happening in the near future when the kids have jobs and then their own lives and stuff. will i still go without the kids? ugh. i don't want to.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:06 am Your DH sounds like he handles it more like I do. I just grin and make the best of it and remind myself it's just one night or just one day and then I can go back home and move on. But I have a lot of patience and tolerance for that sort of thing.

Good luck to you. I hope it's as bearable as it can be.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am Yeah we only see them twice a year or so but I dread it. I think my DH gets bothered by some things, but then when he gets home, he just goes and does one of his many projects. He knows his family sucks on many levels. They don't suck as much as mine does but we don't see mine anymore.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 am

That's part of why DH and I moved away from his family. When we get together with them it's the same concept, just different specific topics. But we were always the bored ones while the rest of them talked about the same old things. When we first arrived MIL would want to catch up on the kids but then once that was done then it's just kind of like twiddling thumbs. DH and I were often the ones sitting in a different room ourselves while the rest of them chatted away.

Now that we live far away we only get together with them as a whole family once a year. It's not so boring anymore because we arent doing it every month anymore. So that's our solution. But before we moved DH's solution was alcohol. He wouldn't get drunk because that's not his thing but he would get just buzzed enough that it didn't annoy him. And I don't drink at all so I was always the driver.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Alcohol. Start drinking early.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Do your kids enjoy going? I only ask because if they don't care either way, maybe it's time to start your own traditions? Make a small meal for just your family, or even a friendsgiving. I hope it doesn't become to unbearable for you.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am I am already dreading Thanksgiving with my DH's family. All they talk about is politics and throw in some religion and anti vac stuff and some inappropriate comments about gays and try to convince us that we have to agree with what they are saying! So really, it's not just boring, it's actually very frustrating! No one seems to know anything else to talk about!!! I try to bring up my kids and tell them what they are into and stuff, but then that subject is quickly turned away and back to politics, etc. Any suggestions to get through this?
That must be tough but I wouldn't allow politics, religion or anything offense allowed to be said around the children. Buy a couple high powered water guns and when someone brings it up, blast them with the water gun, lol That will at least get their minds off it long enough to chase you through the house if for no other reason to find a towel
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have a very large extended family who all came to grandma's house for Thanksgiving and I remember them all talking politics afterward when I was a kid. The group in the kitchen, the group in the dining room, and mostly the group in the living room. I was fascinated lol. I always liked it and I learned a lot by listening.

That kind of discussion isn't anything I ever shielded mine from.
Locked Previous topicNext topic