It's soooo boring!!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am already dreading Thanksgiving with my DH's family. All they talk about is politics and throw in some religion and anti vac stuff and some inappropriate comments about gays and try to convince us that we have to agree with what they are saying! So really, it's not just boring, it's actually very frustrating! No one seems to know anything else to talk about!!! I try to bring up my kids and tell them what they are into and stuff, but then that subject is quickly turned away and back to politics, etc. Any suggestions to get through this?
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

wine and your phone with headphones or escape to another room. I am thankful that my family is mixed race, different religions etc...so everyone stays clear of anything that maybe offensive.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I feel like for my kids' sake that I need to hear what is being said so that I can say how I feel and how I would like to instill the values in my kids. For instance, saying something negative about gays...I have spoke up and said "love is love" before. I don't get in an argument, but I state small sentences like that with certain things. I'm not the type that says to my kids "oh that's just your grandpa...he's from an older generation", blah, blah, blah. No, I state something small so my kids know the values I have and want them to have as well.
RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 am wine and your phone with headphones or escape to another room. I am thankful that my family is mixed race, different religions etc...so everyone stays clear of anything that maybe offensive.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd probably say "Look let's agree to disagree I really don't want to start a fight. I'm more interested in hearing what your kids did/ your job/ your health/ hobbies. If that doesn't work I'd develop a migraine or stomach problems and quit the room or go home. We can discuss politics my mother and me but we know when to quit. I just can't keep silent so unless I say something there will be a fight.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Some of my family agrees on some of the politics but that doesn't mean I want to talk about it every time I see them. I just don't want to talk about how much they hate Trump..I don't want to talk about him at all! It's so draining! But because some family members know that I don't like him either, they will bring it up and talk and talk and talk about it. My MIL even said last Christmas that she is so glad that I don't like him because that would be hard for her or something like that. I said well, if I did, we just wouldn't ever talk about it. I mean how hard is it to just not bring things up?? Apparently harder for some.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 am I'd probably say "Look let's agree to disagree I really don't want to start a fight. I'm more interested in hearing what your kids did/ your job/ your health/ hobbies. If that doesn't work I'd develop a migraine or stomach problems and quit the room or go home. We can discuss politics my mother and me but we know when to quit. I just can't keep silent so unless I say something there will be a fight.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I plan to start drinking at 6pm on Friday and keep drinking until 8pm on Sunday December 1st.
I recommend you do too.

At least that way you can speak your mind and disagree and blame it on the alcohol..
Anonymous 1

Unread post

unfortunately my body can't seem to handle alcohol anymore which is a blessing in disguise as i have so many family members that are alcoholics (i don't go around them anymore) but i knew i would never let myself become one and now my body can't even handle hardly any.
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:37 am I plan to start drinking at 6pm on Friday and keep drinking until 8pm on Sunday December 1st.
I recommend you do too.

At least that way you can speak your mind and disagree and blame it on the alcohol..
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am I am already dreading Thanksgiving with my DH's family. All they talk about is politics and throw in some religion and anti vac stuff and some inappropriate comments about gays and try to convince us that we have to agree with what they are saying! So really, it's not just boring, it's actually very frustrating! No one seems to know anything else to talk about!!! I try to bring up my kids and tell them what they are into and stuff, but then that subject is quickly turned away and back to politics, etc. Any suggestions to get through this?
That's part of why DH and I moved away from his family. When we get together with them it's the same concept, just different specific topics. But we were always the bored ones while the rest of them talked about the same old things. When we first arrived MIL would want to catch up on the kids but then once that was done then it's just kind of like twiddling thumbs. DH and I were often the ones sitting in a different room ourselves while the rest of them chatted away.

Now that we live far away we only get together with them as a whole family once a year. It's not so boring anymore because we arent doing it every month anymore. So that's our solution. But before we moved DH's solution was alcohol. He wouldn't get drunk because that's not his thing but he would get just buzzed enough that it didn't annoy him. And I don't drink at all so I was always the driver.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yeah we only see them twice a year or so but I dread it. I think my DH gets bothered by some things, but then when he gets home, he just goes and does one of his many projects. He knows his family sucks on many levels. They don't suck as much as mine does but we don't see mine anymore.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am I am already dreading Thanksgiving with my DH's family. All they talk about is politics and throw in some religion and anti vac stuff and some inappropriate comments about gays and try to convince us that we have to agree with what they are saying! So really, it's not just boring, it's actually very frustrating! No one seems to know anything else to talk about!!! I try to bring up my kids and tell them what they are into and stuff, but then that subject is quickly turned away and back to politics, etc. Any suggestions to get through this?
That's part of why DH and I moved away from his family. When we get together with them it's the same concept, just different specific topics. But we were always the bored ones while the rest of them talked about the same old things. When we first arrived MIL would want to catch up on the kids but then once that was done then it's just kind of like twiddling thumbs. DH and I were often the ones sitting in a different room ourselves while the rest of them chatted away.

Now that we live far away we only get together with them as a whole family once a year. It's not so boring anymore because we arent doing it every month anymore. So that's our solution. But before we moved DH's solution was alcohol. He wouldn't get drunk because that's not his thing but he would get just buzzed enough that it didn't annoy him. And I don't drink at all so I was always the driver.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

i feel your pain. but it's gotten better for me since the divorce. most years i just send the kiddo off with him to his boring family (which she doesn't think is boring as she loves her cousins) and i spend my day binge watching tv in a tshirt and panties, drinking wine, eating pizza. it's pretty spectacular.
Locked Previous topicNext topic