Building up our nest egg

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We put money in savings each month. But we want to start putting a bit more. Right now I am in school and getting paid to go to school. However, when I graduate and get a job my first paycheck may be a month or so behind.

Also, we want to go on a nice vacation when I graduate. We cut cable because we rarely watch it. We cut SirriusXM because we rarely listen to it. We cut down our wireless plan because we always had a ton of rollover.

We have cut back on eating out and random spending.

In the last month all of this netted us $560. That doesn’t even count cutting back on eating out so much because we did that mid month.

I never realized how all that stuff adds up so much. Now I am looking at other places to make cuts. I would love to start doubling car payments.

We have one credit card we use for points but it is paid off each month.

What are things you do to cut back?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Wireless, and Sirius were costing you $560 a month? If I downgraded my cell, and lost my ATT live Tv app id only save $75 a month. It’s not even worth it to me to cut back on it.

We don’t eat out much at all. I already cut cable to go with streaming. We refinanced and saved $300 a month on the mortgage.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

No car payments, no mortgage. Use Citi card for everything for cash back. Eat out maybe once a week. No cable. Switched cells from att to T-Mobile years ago. Shop prices a lot on large projects.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I pay myself first. By this I mean I save first.

I split my paychecks into 2 different accounts. One pays the bills, and i deposit $375 per check into it automatically. The rest goes into another account. I have it set up to put 1000 a month into savings. I take out 200 cash and the rest just sits there. If i need more cash i use the account. If i don't need more cash the rest of the $ goes into savings right before my next paycheck. The cycle goes on and on.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

We cut cable & stream tv. We eat out once a week. I found just putting an extra $ 20 away a week adds up nicely for vacation time. No car payments.

We also have about 5 coffee cans full of change just put aside for our nest egg.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think it’s helpful to put things on paper it’s easier for me to see. List all your expenses and how much you bring in per month. From that list look for ways to cutback. It could be little stuff that you pay no attention to. For me, I found I spend a lot on coffee(connivence store purchases).
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I never cut back. I have stuff I pay for that I barely use and it doesn't bother me. I'd never have a car payment though that is just a waste of money.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

That is great! Good job!

We are frivolous spenders. So I will throw our what would save us money, but I am guessing that our spending is pretty different than your household already....So first, all the things you have already tackled, I have a lot monthly subscriptions that we could cut out if need be, like loot crate, bark box, multiple renewing apps, Like Apple news, Crayola. , highlights, the. Other entertainment, Netflix, cable, Sirius, Amazon unlimited, etc. Our phone service is expensive, but we like the service area. We could keep the house at a cooler temp in winter and warmer in summer. We could eliminate lawn service, occasional cleaning service. We eat out 2-3 times a week with restaurant take out, even more than fast food. I cook based on what looks good not economics, so my grocery bill is fairly high. I spend a fair amount of money on brand name clothes for my kids, and sometimes slack off with laundry, so they each have a minimum of 14 everyday outfits, which as fast as they grow is wasteful, but convenient. Anytime we want to watch a new movie release, we just buy it on Amazon, rather than renting. We bought a vehicle with a loan, which supposedly is a no-no. I shop at stores for convenience rather than price or economics. I also buy all brand name bath & household products. I am sure that adds up every month. I spend fair amount on hair cut & color ever 5-6 weeks. I take my children to the same salon, rather than a budget one. And we spend money on hobbies, gaming, collecting, hiking, crafting, that we could certainly eliminate if push came to shove....

I do not enjoy frugal living, but if that was my gig, those are the areas, I would need to tackle!
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I struggle most with kind of smaller purchases that add up over time. My biggest commitment to saving has been to really pause and think about whether I need to buy things before tossing them in my cart. Same with Amazon.

We rarely eat out, though it’s mostly because our kids are often pretty terrible in restaurants and it’s just unpleasant and frustrating.

We have a credit card that gives us airline miles and $100 companion fares that we use all of the time, so it has been a long time since we have pays full price for plane tickets. That saves us a lot.

I’ve also been not taking unpaid time off. My job allows us to take time off when the census is low enough to allow it. It’s really a huge perk and often tempting, and I had been doing it fairly frequently. But it adds up really fast and was having a big impact on my paycheck. I also stopped buying lunch at work and taking leftovers instead.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am Wireless, and Sirius were costing you $560 a month? If I downgraded my cell, and lost my ATT live Tv app id only save $75 a month. It’s not even worth it to me to cut back on it.

We don’t eat out much at all. I already cut cable to go with streaming. We refinanced and saved $300 a month on the mortgage.
Cable was like $200. Sirius was nearly $100. Then eating out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic