Why do people do this right around Christmas

Deleted User 172

Unread post

People are more generous. Like everybody else said.
I'll donate to organizations but honestly have no sympathy for people who quit jobs then beg for money, or worse, have great jobs but say they cant afford to buy a $20 toy for their family.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm in a buy nothing group on fb. It's a local group strictly for giving and receiving stuff for free. I'm honestly disappointed at some of the people in that group who are in there every single hour begging for shit and it's gotten worse now that the holidays are here.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. It may be that they try to set a bit of money aside but something comes up. It's also not unheard of that people who are struggling simply don't think about future expenses. While I can't imagine living that way, I do understand that it happens.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I've literally never heard anyone with a great job say they can't afford an inexpensive toy at Christmas. They would have to be extremely irresponsible and living well beyond their means.

What do you consider a "great job"?
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 am People are more generous. Like everybody else said.
I'll donate to organizations but honestly have no sympathy for people who quit jobs then beg for money, or worse, have great jobs but say they cant afford to buy a $20 toy for their family.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 am I've literally never heard anyone with a great job say they can't afford an inexpensive toy at Christmas. They would have to be extremely irresponsible and living well beyond their means.

Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 am People are more generous. Like everybody else said.
6 figures. They spend spend spend. Dropped 4k on a last minute trip for one of them to Europe this year but every single year they "cant afford" Christmas presents.
They just don't want to buy anyone anything. Then get upset when nobody gets them or their kid anything.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Oh I see, I thought it was more of a generalisation! You're just talking about one couple! That should have been obvious, I blame insomnia!

I don't expect people to buy for any child other than their own.
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 am I've literally never heard anyone with a great job say they can't afford an inexpensive toy at Christmas. They would have to be extremely irresponsible and living well beyond their means.

6 figures. They spend spend spend. Dropped 4k on a last minute trip for one of them to Europe this year but every single year they "cant afford" Christmas presents.
They just don't want to buy anyone anything. Then get upset when nobody gets them or their kid anything.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Some people genuinely fall on hard times, some are just selfish, some are scammers. I agree that they do it more around the holidays because people tend to be generous around them.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

IDK, but honestly, I don't really care or envy people like this. If it's poor planning, I feel bad that they have such low levels of cognitive or executive functioning. If it is intentional, how awful and sad to live a life just scavenging off others like a parasite. I'd be miserable. I mean I suppose, I can understand how hard workers might get irritated or jealous, as someone like that gets material things without working, but truly, to lack the moral decency and independence, is NOTHING to be envious of, it's just depressing to think about.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 am My sister used to and still kind of does the same thing. She has 5 kids and her and her husband have minimum wage jobs. She signs up for every help program she can for Christmas. The school always gives them $300 in gifts then she does toys for tots and a giving tree through their library. Sometimes she will even ask for money from relatives on top of everything plus all of the public assistance they get and the huge refund at tax time despite barely paying any taxes. Some people are just takers. We are struggling a bit at the moment but I would never ask for money or things I have a second job to get money for Christmas.
I'm in the same boat. I have a birthday at the end of this month and Christmas, the numerous hospitalizations have taken their toll, but I am not asking for help. I wont turn any down, but I refuse to ask.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 am My sister used to and still kind of does the same thing. She has 5 kids and her and her husband have minimum wage jobs. She signs up for every help program she can for Christmas. The school always gives them $300 in gifts then she does toys for tots and a giving tree through their library. Sometimes she will even ask for money from relatives on top of everything plus all of the public assistance they get and the huge refund at tax time despite barely paying any taxes. Some people are just takers. We are struggling a bit at the moment but I would never ask for money or things I have a second job to get money for Christmas.
People like her are why I believe charities should collaborate at Christmas, so that families are limited to picking ONE charity. Their greed and entitlement blind them to the fact that they are in effect taking away someone else's chance at getting help when they sign up at multiple places - and they just plain don't care because all they care about is themselves. It's pathetic.
Locked Previous topicNext topic