She acts offended

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I did something similar for many years...just tried to eat what I didn't like or eat nothing at all. I don't want to do that anymore and I haven't been. I am allowed to eat and bring what I want. It's just f*cking food.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:36 pm just like a vegetarian would like to have a hamburger or some other dish but they can't have meat, I would like to have some type of potato for Thanksgiving. It's just food! Who cares!
Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:18 pm Honestly, it's one meal. Can't you just skip the potato that day?
I'm a vegetarian and before I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy I would just eat the sides or if I really wanted a hamburger I'd just pile everything on the bun besides the meat and eat that. I never brought my own or asked for special accommodations. I would take my own to my parents but I know they didn't care one bit. Things are very casual with them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Think of something you don't like to eat...now think "how do I not like that?" Do you really think everyone likes the same things and that everyone likes mashed potatoes?
WickedPissah wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 pm How do you not like mashed potatoes?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 pm
Sassy762 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm JFC......LMAOOOO[
Maybe she's offended that you bring your own potato. Ask her for a potato or just grab one, wash it then pop it in the microwave. Would that work?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm If you don't want to read all of the pages (I don't blame you!), the jist is that some people think it's rude of me to bring a baked potato. Some agree that it's no big deal and that MIL should not act offended by it.

No, the "right" answer here is: You're absolutely right! Your MIL of 26 years is insane for being offended you bring your own baked potato to Thanksgiving Dinner because you're the only one of the gathering that doesn't like mashed potatoes. You're also right that it's no big deal and almost everyone on this thread is an uptight asshole.

Seriously though, OP is pitching a fit that MIL is offended because she bakes and brings her own baked potato to dinner. When others have tried to explain WHY MIL might be offended, she blows us off and responds with "I should have a potato at dinner too! Who cares!!??!" or similar.
Is this not the most idiotic thread ever?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe she's offended that you bring your own potato. Ask her for a potato or just grab one, wash it then pop it in the microwave. Would that work?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm If you don't want to read all of the pages (I don't blame you!), the jist is that some people think it's rude of me to bring a baked potato. Some agree that it's no big deal and that MIL should not act offended by it.

No, the "right" answer here is: You're absolutely right! Your MIL of 26 years is insane for being offended you bring your own baked potato to Thanksgiving Dinner because you're the only one of the gathering that doesn't like mashed potatoes. You're also right that it's no big deal and almost everyone on this thread is an uptight asshole.

Seriously though, OP is pitching a fit that MIL is offended because she bakes and brings her own baked potato to dinner. When others have tried to explain WHY MIL might be offended, she blows us off and responds with "I should have a potato at dinner too! Who cares!!??!" or similar.
Frankly I don't see the big deal. My fil used to whip his mashed potatoes. I didn't particularly like the consistency. I ate them anyway. It's once a freaking year. I can see if the mil is vegan and her kids can't stand vegetables. Or vice versa- you're vegan and ask if you can bring a dish "for everyone to share." I've done things like that and the vegetarians in my family don't care. But I'd never just bring a baked potato for myself. Both op and mil are cut from the same cloth.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

but here you are responding again.....
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 am

Is this not the most idiotic thread ever?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

So the "right" response from me should be "oh okay you guys are so right! I should not care about what I eat on Thanksgiving. I should just suck it up. Afterall, it's just one day a year and I want to please MIL!" Yeah right! :?

Everyone has things that they like to have for holidays. Like I said, we have ONE Thanksgiving meal each year. We used to have 3 but DH's grandma passed away and I don't see other family members anymore. But when I used to, baked potatoes were a main dish for Thanksgiving including many other things. Baked potatoes for Thanksgiving are like pumpkin pie to me...it's a staple from my growing up. If someone didn't serve pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, I would bring pumpkin pie....and I actually have. But since MIL seems offended that I bring a baked potato and everyone else eats mashed potatoes, I don't dare think to bring a whole bunch of baked potatoes! I sit down with my baked potato, I say nothing about it, and I freaking eat it. That's why I say who cares! Why does she seem to care that I have a baked potato??? Why does that matter in life??????

jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:11 pm I don't have to eat everything served. I am not going to force myself to eat something that I know will make me gag. I don't like mashed potatoes. It's not HER mashed potatoes that I don't like, it's ANY mashed potatoes I don't like. And look up the definition of entitlement. That is not it. Or I have copy and pasted it for other posters. If "the older generation" gets offended over something like THIS, they are ridiculous and need to work on their feelings and actions. I think there are bigger issues in their world!!
jas wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 pm it's about the texture before I put it in my mouth. I don't eat anything that is mushy. I realize that when you are eating a steak and you are chewing it, it will get "mushy" and ground up. But i would not eat a steak that is already mushy and ground up. Just like a potato..i will not eat something mushy before I put it in my mouth. Lots of people are like this. And why does it matter that i would like a potato with my thanksgiving meal? Everyone else has potatoes too. Why can't I have that without it being a big freaking deal? I bring my own, I bring it cooked. All i do is sit it at my plate at the table. Why is that a big deal? Why do I have to go without it? Why does it matter?

Because it's weird. You're rejecting what is offered to you which is rude to the older generation. It's lacks class and tact. You show entitlement and disrespect.

Definition - special treatment. Her making something special for you. You bringing your own potato - not for everyone - but for yourself. Entitlement.

I DESERVE TO EAT MY POTATO THE WAY I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Entitlement.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

How is she MAKING something special for me? Setting aside some boiled potatoes before she mashes them? But she always "forgets" so I bring my own and I don't mention it to her. I just sit there and say nothing about the damn potato and eat. If she seems offended that I bring my own potato, what will she act like if I bring a whole bag of baked potatoes for everyone?? So, no, that is NOT entitlement..that is trying to keep the damn peace.
jas wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:43 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:11 pm I don't have to eat everything served. I am not going to force myself to eat something that I know will make me gag. I don't like mashed potatoes. It's not HER mashed potatoes that I don't like, it's ANY mashed potatoes I don't like. And look up the definition of entitlement. That is not it. Or I have copy and pasted it for other posters. If "the older generation" gets offended over something like THIS, they are ridiculous and need to work on their feelings and actions. I think there are bigger issues in their world!!
jas wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Because it's weird. You're rejecting what is offered to you which is rude to the older generation. It's lacks class and tact. You show entitlement and disrespect.

Definition - special treatment. Her making something special for you. You bringing your own potato - not for everyone - but for yourself. Entitlement.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it wasn't constructive. But like I said, you don't actually care about her feelings or understanding why she's offended, you just wanted us to validate you.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm Not sure there has been any constructive reasoning. Oh the older generation is just like that, oh she is killing herself to make dinner doesn't really explain why she would be offended. Plus it's not like anyone KNOWS MIL at all. I have known her for 26 years, none of you guys do.
CotterpinDoozer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:21 pm It's become pretty clear that you don't actually want to know why she's offended, because every person who has attempted to explain it to you has been met with "who cares!" And talk about how you should get a potato too. If you were actually interested in knowing why you'd have listened to the reasoning a few of the ladies here have given you and tried seeing it from her point of view instead of immediately brushing it off.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

And just because I don't agree with some opinions doesn't make their opinions correct either. And obviously MIL doesn't care about MY feelings either.
CotterpinDoozer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it wasn't constructive. But like I said, you don't actually care about her feelings or understanding why she's offended, you just wanted us to validate you.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm Not sure there has been any constructive reasoning. Oh the older generation is just like that, oh she is killing herself to make dinner doesn't really explain why she would be offended. Plus it's not like anyone KNOWS MIL at all. I have known her for 26 years, none of you guys do.
CotterpinDoozer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:21 pm It's become pretty clear that you don't actually want to know why she's offended, because every person who has attempted to explain it to you has been met with "who cares!" And talk about how you should get a potato too. If you were actually interested in knowing why you'd have listened to the reasoning a few of the ladies here have given you and tried seeing it from her point of view instead of immediately brushing it off.
Locked Previous topicNext topic