I honestly don't know what people mean when they say "they can't cook"...

AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I can follow a recipe and make edible food, but I don't enjoy it. I find cooking to be tedious and boring.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:36 pm Some people have no flair for it. I can follow a simple recipe but when it comes to "Salt to taste" Or "add milk till creamy" I f**k it up because I have shitty taste buds or I ended up misjudging the amount and put too much milk in. Things like that. I need EXACT instructions to the letter of every amount to add or I f**k it up.

I burn stuff. I undercook stuff. There is just no natural talent to it. I cut my fingers a lot trying to cut shit up. I almost stabbed myself in the belly twice cutting things up.

I am not meant to be in a kitchen honestly. Dh does a lot of the cooking and I just do simple things. I also have a hard time multi tasking cooking like 5 things at once which is how I end up burning things etc.

My mother never taught me to cook and always cooked for me so I never had that experience of learning from someone else like most daughters get
Yup. Most of this.
CannotCount
It’s Misspelt
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My husband always yells at me to not follow a recipe. They almost always turn out like crap when I do, but that’s the recipes fault not mine. Trial and error to tinker with recipes to get em how you want them.
deltathree
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Some people don't enjoy it.

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 am
BionicBunny wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm There are certain things to know while cooking. For example, cooking on the stove top. You should know how high to have the heat. Someone who isn’t experienced with cooking might burn their food and say they can’t cook. They just need more practice but some people get discouraged and don’t try.
My husband had never cooked on a gas stove before we started dating. He'd always had electric. He insisted for about a year that we needed a different kind of pan. He finally got used to it.
It's easier to control the heat with a gas stove. I prefer it, but my brilliant ass husband said NO. SMFH.

Unread post

AubreeGrace17 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm I can follow a recipe and make edible food, but I don't enjoy it. I find cooking to be tedious and boring.
I love to cook. It's cleaning up afterwards that makes me not want to make deliciousness every day, lol.
Hello

Unread post

Is this Claire?
mrsmacgiver wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:45 pm Eh. It depends on the recipe, I suppose.

A friend of mine has been trying to learn to cook. She tried to make a creamed tomato sauce but didn't realize you have to put the cream in right before you turn it off. And, the recipe didn't really explain.

I learned how to make broth when I was a teenager but I didn't realize you weren't supposed to let it come to a hard boil. I overheard it randomly on a cooking show once.

If you try to melt butter in the microwave before making cookies, your cookies will come out either too hard, too flat, or crumbling.

Sifting flour gives whatever you're cooking a lighter, fluffier feel. The recipes don't explain the purpose of sifting or how to sift. If your bread is coming out too hard, you probably need to sift your flour more.

Overmixing also leads to harder, more dense foods- like pancakes or arepas. Sometimes you want to use a mixer, sometimes you do it by hand. Sometimes you want to mix it half way, then give the ingredients a minute to sit.

Recipes very rarely tell you these things. Cooking isn't just a science. It is an art, too.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hello wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:52 am Is this Claire?
mrsmacgiver wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:45 pm Eh. It depends on the recipe, I suppose.

A friend of mine has been trying to learn to cook. She tried to make a creamed tomato sauce but didn't realize you have to put the cream in right before you turn it off. And, the recipe didn't really explain.

I learned how to make broth when I was a teenager but I didn't realize you weren't supposed to let it come to a hard boil. I overheard it randomly on a cooking show once.

If you try to melt butter in the microwave before making cookies, your cookies will come out either too hard, too flat, or crumbling.

Sifting flour gives whatever you're cooking a lighter, fluffier feel. The recipes don't explain the purpose of sifting or how to sift. If your bread is coming out too hard, you probably need to sift your flour more.

Overmixing also leads to harder, more dense foods- like pancakes or arepas. Sometimes you want to use a mixer, sometimes you do it by hand. Sometimes you want to mix it half way, then give the ingredients a minute to sit.

Recipes very rarely tell you these things. Cooking isn't just a science. It is an art, too.
That's entirely flattering. No, this is KK. But I'm fairly sure she made an account she doesn't use under the name Aletheia. You can find some of her posts about atheism over in Religious Debate.
Hello

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am

That's entirely flattering. No, this is KK. But I'm fairly sure she made an account she doesn't use under the name Aletheia. You can find some of her posts about atheism over in Religious Debate.
I couldn't remember her screen name on CM. Yours looked similar.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hello wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am
mrsmacgiver wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am

I couldn't remember her screen name on CM. Yours looked similar.
Oh, I thought you meant Clairwill. LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic