They finally let me fire her!!!

AllyCat457
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Pardon me but I need to vent. The past 10 weeks have been a bit trying. This post is a long one.
Little background info, I have worked for a youth program/summer camp for 8 years. I love my job, I love the kids, it's honestly my dream job. In May, I finished my 4 yr. Degree and received a promotion to program/camp director. I still have to answer to the owners, of course, and because this was my first summer, they had already hired for the summer program so I didn't have any input. The way the camp is structured, we have them split by age group. I work with the 8-12 yr. Olds.
A new hire named Kim was originally hired for the preschool day camp, which I have no part of, but they suggested she be moved. Red flag.
From day one, this woman was nothing but a royal pain in my ass. In the interest of time, I'll just list the many reasons she got her ass fired.
-from day one, every time I opened my mouth to give Kim instructions, I'd hear, "Why? Why do we do it like that? Why do we have to do that? Well, I wouldn't do it like that if I was in charge."
I'm not an unreasonable person, but I've been here 8 years, I know what needs to be done. Like any job, there are procedures and policies. You're here to assist. Shut the f**k up. Wish I could have said that but what I actually did was to explain the policy, whatever it was. At least at first until eventually I just ignored her mouth. I didn't have time for that shit.
-With Kim, everything the kids did was sexual in nature. A hug, two girls laying in a hammock, the boys rough housing. Every 5 minutes she was "reporting" innappropriate behavior to me. I take that shit seriously but I also know the difference between kids being kids and actual bad behavior. It was like she was on hump patrol all day long.
- my own daughter attends the camp with the 5-7 year olds. She is autistic and had a difficult time in the beginning being in a group away from me, but I felt it was inportant. At one time during the day, we had activities in the common area at the same time as her group, with a glass door in between us. The first few days, she would come to the door and cry. Well, apparently this pissed off Kim, because when I came in one day, she had painted the door. Not with paint, but glue. F***ing. Liquid. Glue. I was floored, who the f**k does that??? I had to scrap the still wet glue off the full glass door. I honestly thought a child had done it, until another worker told me it was Kim.
- swearing in front of the children. My mouth isn't Lily white but these are other people's children, have some common sense.
-saved the worst for last.
In my group, I have 3 siblings, Ashley is 12, Kaden is 10, and Devon is 9. Their family started coming here the same year I started, when Ashley was 4 and in the Pre-K camp. Ashley has epilepsy, and Kaden and Devon both have high functioning autism. Their parents and I have a great relationship, a lot of trust built up over 8 years, and as the mom of a kid with ASD, that's not easy to find.
For some reason, Kim had it out for these 3 from day 1. Ashley was first on her list. She was the main child Kim accused of "innappropriate behavior". She was referring to the fact that Ashley loves to hug everyone. πŸ™„. After several repeat incidents, Kim got in Ashleys face because she was sitting "too close" to another child. I was livid. I wanted her ass gone, but the owners didn't want a bigger issue. Ashley stopped coming to camp, her mom said it's because she wants to hang out with her friends more, but also because she dislikes Kim. I was so upset over this, her mom wasn't angry and said they had planned to make it a short summer anyway, this is Ashley's last yr. Before aging out anyway. Still.
When Ashley left, suddenly it was complaints about Kaden and Devon. Now we have worked really hard with both children, their first few years, it was a struggle to get them on the bus in the morning, then it was trying to get them to participate. This past summer, despite this psycho bitch in their face, they have really come out of their shell. They are playing with other kids and have really pushed themselves out of their comfort zone and im so proud of them. Kim had an issue with us allowing the boys to take frequent breaks. And by breaks I mean that when they got overwhelmed, they could go to an area nearby with a book and observe. This was courtesy we would have given any child, but Kaden and Devon use it often because it's needed. The first year, Kaden couldn't make it through a full day of camp. This is his third yr, and he has not gone home early once this year. Progress!
Kim didn't like this and would frequently complain, mostly to me. Again, explained our policy, then just ignored her. But Friday, she crossed the line.
Kaden asked to take a break and she scoffs and rolls her eyes. Kaden saw this, and he has no problem speaking his mind, he reminds me of Sheldon from big bang theory he's highly intelligent and very verbal he's like a little man. He said, quote, "Excuse me, but you ask us not to roll our eyes because it's disrespectful!" I couldn't agree more.
But Kim went off. She started loudly complaining about us giving him "special treatment." I told her calmly that if she has an issue, we do not discuss it in front of the children, and she needed to stop. She refused and kept talking. Kaden tried to explain why he needs a space to calm down, and she rudely cut him off, telling him, "oh my god, just shut your mouth, I don't want to hear you!" I told her to take a walk. When she left, Kaden broke down in tears, something I have never seen him do, and he asked me "why is she so mean to me?" My heart broke for him. The rest of my group, who witnessed this whole situation, rallied around and comforted him. One of my girls, Kaylee, looked very troubled, and she said something super quiet. I asked her to repeat it. She said, louder, " she's worse when you're not around!' I looked at my kids and they are all nodding. Swear to God, my heart shattered.
That was the final straw. I'd put up with her complaints, her refusal to follow instructions, her complete lack of common sense, but I was done. I get frustrated with my kids sometimes, they aren't perfect but they are good kids. I had to check my emotions and make sure i wasn't being extra sensitive, but I asked myself would I put up with anyone else talking to them the way she had, or talking to my own child like that? Would I ever talk to them that way? No. My policy has always been to model the behavior we expect to see from our kids. They are little people with feeling.
I called the owners. They gave me the green light to fire her ass. Finally.
It was with no small amount of satisfaction that I found her at the office, and told her to leave. Of course she copped an attitude, and tried to get me by saying she was pulling her own kids out of the program, and "have fun without their tuition" um, what tuition, you're an (ex) employee, one kid comes for free. And you're oldest has an attitude and swears like sailor, you can have him. The little one was a sweetie, sad to see him go, hopefully his crazy ass mother doesn't ruin him.
Thank you for letting me rant my way through here, feels good to let it out. Sorry it's so long.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

JFC....she's a mega bitch. You have the patience of a saint because I would have flipped out on her ass after the 2nd time she was bitchy towards any of the kids.
AllyCat457 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 am Pardon me but I need to vent. The past 10 weeks have been a bit trying. This post is a long one.
Little background info, I have worked for a youth program/summer camp for 8 years. I love my job, I love the kids, it's honestly my dream job. In May, I finished my 4 yr. Degree and received a promotion to program/camp director. I still have to answer to the owners, of course, and because this was my first summer, they had already hired for the summer program so I didn't have any input. The way the camp is structured, we have them split by age group. I work with the 8-12 yr. Olds.
A new hire named Kim was originally hired for the preschool day camp, which I have no part of, but they suggested she be moved. Red flag.
From day one, this woman was nothing but a royal pain in my ass. In the interest of time, I'll just list the many reasons she got her ass fired.
-from day one, every time I opened my mouth to give Kim instructions, I'd hear, "Why? Why do we do it like that? Why do we have to do that? Well, I wouldn't do it like that if I was in charge."
I'm not an unreasonable person, but I've been here 8 years, I know what needs to be done. Like any job, there are procedures and policies. You're here to assist. Shut the f**k up. Wish I could have said that but what I actually did was to explain the policy, whatever it was. At least at first until eventually I just ignored her mouth. I didn't have time for that shit.
-With Kim, everything the kids did was sexual in nature. A hug, two girls laying in a hammock, the boys rough housing. Every 5 minutes she was "reporting" innappropriate behavior to me. I take that shit seriously but I also know the difference between kids being kids and actual bad behavior. It was like she was on hump patrol all day long.
- my own daughter attends the camp with the 5-7 year olds. She is autistic and had a difficult time in the beginning being in a group away from me, but I felt it was inportant. At one time during the day, we had activities in the common area at the same time as her group, with a glass door in between us. The first few days, she would come to the door and cry. Well, apparently this pissed off Kim, because when I came in one day, she had painted the door. Not with paint, but glue. F***ing. Liquid. Glue. I was floored, who the f**k does that??? I had to scrap the still wet glue off the full glass door. I honestly thought a child had done it, until another worker told me it was Kim.
- swearing in front of the children. My mouth isn't Lily white but these are other people's children, have some common sense.
In my group, I have 3 siblings, Ashley is 12, Kaden is 10, and Devon is 9. Their family started coming here the same year I started, when Ashley was 4 and in the Pre-K camp. Ashley has epilepsy, and Kaden and Devon both have high functioning autism. Their parents and I have a great relationship, a lot of trust built up over 8 years, and as the mom of a kid with ASD, that's not easy to find.
For some reason, Kim had it out for these 3 from day 1. Ashley was first on her list. She was the main child Kim accused of "innappropriate behavior". She was referring to the fact that Ashley loves to hug everyone. πŸ™„. After several repeat incidents, Kim got in Ashleys face because she was sitting "too close" to another child. I was livid. I wanted her ass gone, but the owners didn't want a bigger issue. Ashley stopped coming to camp, her mom said it's because she wants to hang out with her friends more, but also because she dislikes Kim. I was so upset over this, her mom wasn't angry and said they had planned to make it a short summer anyway, this is Ashley's last yr. Before aging out anyway. Still.
When Ashley left, suddenly it was complaints about Kaden and Devon. Now we have worked really hard with both children, their first few years, it was a struggle to get them on the bus in the morning, then it was trying to get them to participate. This past summer, despite this psycho bitch in their face, they have really come out of their shell. They are playing with other kids and have really pushed themselves out of their comfort zone and im so proud of them. Kim had an issue with us allowing the boys to take frequent breaks. And by breaks I mean that when they got overwhelmed, they could go to an area nearby with a book and observe. This was courtesy we would have given any child, but Kaden and Devon use it often because it's needed. The first year, Kaden couldn't make it through a full day of camp. This is his third yr, and he has not gone home early once this year. Progress!
Kim didn't like this and would frequently complain, mostly to me. Again, explained our policy, then just ignored her. But Friday, she crossed the line.
Kaden asked to take a break and she scoffs and rolls her eyes. Kaden saw this, and he has no problem speaking his mind, he reminds me of Sheldon from big bang theory he's highly intelligent and very verbal he's like a little man. He said, quote, "Excuse me, but you ask us not to roll our eyes because it's disrespectful!" I couldn't agree more.
But Kim went off. She started loudly complaining about us giving him "special treatment." I told her calmly that if she has an issue, we do not discuss it in front of the children, and she needed to stop. She refused and kept talking. Kaden tried to explain why he needs a space to calm down, and she rudely cut him off, telling him, "oh my god, just shut your mouth, I don't want to hear you!" I told her to take a walk. When she left, Kaden broke down in tears, something I have never seen him do, and he asked me "why is she so mean to me?" My heart broke for him. The rest of my group, who witnessed this whole situation, rallied around and comforted him. One of my girls, Kaylee, looked very troubled, and she said something super quiet. I asked her to repeat it. She said, louder, " she's worse when you're not around!' I looked at my kids and they are all nodding. Swear to God, my heart shattered.
That was the final straw. I'd put up with her complaints, her refusal to follow instructions, her complete lack of common sense, but I was done. I get frustrated with my kids sometimes, they aren't perfect but they are good kids. I had to check my emotions and make sure i wasn't being extra sensitive, but I asked myself would I put up with anyone else talking to them the way she had, or talking to my own child like that? Would I ever talk to them that way? No. My policy has always been to model the behavior we expect to see from our kids. They are little people with feeling.
It was with no small amount of satisfaction that I found her at the office, and told her to leave. Of course she copped an attitude, and tried to get me by saying she was pulling her own kids out of the program, and "have fun without their tuition" um, what tuition, you're an (ex) employee, one kid comes for free. And you're oldest has an attitude and swears like sailor, you can have him. The little one was a sweetie, sad to see him go, hopefully his crazy ass mother doesn't ruin him.
Thank you for letting me rant my way through here, feels good to let it out. Sorry it's so long.
AllyCat457
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Working with kids, Ive built up quite a lot of patience over the years. And I honestly understand her being frustrated with certain things, she doesn't have much experience, and I tried to help her learn, but there are some things that should just be common sense. She wouldn't be ok if someone treated her children like that, I don't know why she thought it was ok to be rude to other kids.
Sassy762 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 am JFC....she's a mega bitch. You have the patience of a saint because I would have flipped out on her ass after the 2nd time she was bitchy towards any of the kids.
AllyCat457 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 am Pardon me but I need to vent. The past 10 weeks have been a bit trying. This post is a long one.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Wow. Can’t believe I read all that.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Wow! What makes someone think behaving like that in front of children in ok? WTF

You're a better person than me. I would have REALLY leaned on getting permission to fire her sooner. You gave her plenty of chances which she did not deserve. Glad she's gone and happy for you.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Good riddance to bad rubbish!
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Careful she can sue the camp.
Did you ever write her up and make a corrective action plan?
I shit glitter
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It is people like this that makes having cameras in classrooms a good idea. She should have been fired a long time ago.
AllyCat457
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Yes, She signed a contract at the beginning that included how to speak and interact with the children. I wrote everything down, she has been written up, and we gave her additional training trying to work with her. Our butts are covered.
WickedPissah wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am Careful she can sue the camp.
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AllyCat457 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 am Yes, She signed a contract at the beginning that included how to speak and interact with the children. I wrote everything down, she has been written up, and we gave her additional training trying to work with her. Our butts are covered.
WickedPissah wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am Careful she can sue the camp.
Ok.
I shit glitter
Locked Previous topicNext topic