DD has decided to go for her bachelors degree instead of getting a job

Anonymous 6

Unread post

I would pay for the 4 year degree. Education is our gift to our children, it is something they will benefit from their entire life.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 pm I love how everyone claims education is so important but when it comes to paying for it, it’s a different story. You need a BSN to get a high paying job. Even better is Nurse Practitioner. How people don’t want to educate their children is puzzling to me.
This is the second time around we have paid for a degree. We made a deal and she is going back on it. She needs to get a job
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm My DD graduated from nursing school in May. She took the NCLEX and became a registered nurse. She was applying for jobs and her goal was to work for a few months and then start an RN to BSN program which would allow her to get a raise and a better position. The program is set up for working nurses and is part time.

I asked her how interviewing for jobs was going. She told me that she decided that she isnt going to work right now. She is just going to go for her bachelors degree which will take 2 more years. I am honestly not okay with this. We have been paying for her to go to school and to live. She has a little bit of money from savings/a small scholarship she got but DH and I have been supporting her the last 2.5 years since she started nursing school. I have had no problem with that because she really wanted this and her plan was good.

I am not okay with having to pay for another 2 years while she does nothing. The whole plan was for her to work. I dont mind supporting her a little longer until she finds the job if she is at least actively looking. The school she got her associates degree in is the best school in the area. Everyone around here wants to hire people from her school. She could easily find a job.

I dont like how she decided this without even talking to me. I dont like how she just assumed it would be okay to live off of your parents for 2 more years without a simple conversation

I told her that she needs to stick to the plan or come up with her own way to pay for school. She feels like I am being harsh because that means she has to drop out from that program that she is supposed to start next week. (Full time BSN program)

I thought she had more sense than this. If she had talked to me she would have known I wouldnt be okay with that.
It's your prerogative not to pay anymore college tuition and living expenses. In our family we pay for the entire college bill if they agree to at least go for a masters degree. We dont want them saddled with a boatload of debt when starting their career and life.
We would pay for the schooling if she was working to support herself. There is 0 reason why she cant work right now
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Maggie wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 pm Do you not need a four year degree to be a nurse where you are?

Tell her you're going to start charging her rent.
Here in the states you can have an ADN (2 yrs) to work as an RN, butttttt hospitals are now requiring a BSN (4 yr).
The hospitals around here do not required BSNs
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 pm I love how everyone claims education is so important but when it comes to paying for it, it’s a different story. You need a BSN to get a high paying job. Even better is Nurse Practitioner. How people don’t want to educate their children is puzzling to me.
It might be a matter of what one can afford. Ods has a two year prepaid plan but also got scholarships. I worked while getting my BS. I received money from my parents but they could not afford to give me a full ride. I hold no grudge; that was simply reality. The daughter should have discussed this with her parents first. I hate when people assume i am going to do something. Idk what hospitals require in Florida but surely she could get a part time job and contribute.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If she's licensed and employable with the degree you've paid for her to get, I'd say you met your obligation. It's not impossible to work and continue with school if she wants to advance her degree. If you can't afford to pay for the rest of school, you can't afford it. She should be able to understand that.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm
This is the second time around we have paid for a degree. We made a deal and she is going back on it. She needs to get a job
I'd say you've been pretty generous.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 8

Unread post

A parent is not obligated to pay for college, AND living expenses. It seems OPs kid can get a job while going to school. Adults all over manage this.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm My DD graduated from nursing school in May. She took the NCLEX and became a registered nurse. She was applying for jobs and her goal was to work for a few months and then start an RN to BSN program which would allow her to get a raise and a better position. The program is set up for working nurses and is part time.

I asked her how interviewing for jobs was going. She told me that she decided that she isnt going to work right now. She is just going to go for her bachelors degree which will take 2 more years. I am honestly not okay with this. We have been paying for her to go to school and to live. She has a little bit of money from savings/a small scholarship she got but DH and I have been supporting her the last 2.5 years since she started nursing school. I have had no problem with that because she really wanted this and her plan was good.

I am not okay with having to pay for another 2 years while she does nothing. The whole plan was for her to work. I dont mind supporting her a little longer until she finds the job if she is at least actively looking. The school she got her associates degree in is the best school in the area. Everyone around here wants to hire people from her school. She could easily find a job.

I dont like how she decided this without even talking to me. I dont like how she just assumed it would be okay to live off of your parents for 2 more years without a simple conversation

I told her that she needs to stick to the plan or come up with her own way to pay for school. She feels like I am being harsh because that means she has to drop out from that program that she is supposed to start next week. (Full time BSN program)

I thought she had more sense than this. If she had talked to me she would have known I wouldnt be okay with that.
It's your prerogative not to pay anymore college tuition and living expenses. In our family we pay for the entire college bill if they agree to at least go for a masters degree. We dont want them saddled with a boatload of debt when starting their career and life.
We would pay for the schooling if she was working to support herself. There is 0 reason why she cant work right now
Does she have her own apartment or live at home? If she has an apartment would a job pay her rent, utilities, food, car and insurance?
You would be willing to pay her tuition and books if she paid for her living expenses?
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maggie wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 pm Do you not need a four year degree to be a nurse where you are?

Tell her you're going to start charging her rent.
Here in the states you can have an ADN (2 yrs) to work as an RN, butttttt hospitals are now requiring a BSN (4 yr).
What is a BSN?
Locked Previous topicNext topic