UPDATED If you’ve probated a will I have a question for you

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Grandma left a will.

She left me some money which has pissed off several aunts and cousins.

One of the pissed of aunts is the executor and she hired a probate lawyer.

The court date came and went and she didn’t bother to tell me about it, which I believe by law she has to, but now I come home to a pink slip from usps saying I have a certified letter from the attorney she hired.

Any clue what it is? I suspect it’s a check for my portion of the estate but the court date was July 3rd and I can tell based on online info about it that she was named the executor. Could that happen this soon? Or is it something else?

She hasn’t responded to texts since June 11th nor emails or phone calls so I can not ask her.

And yes. I’m aware that no one here is psychic and can tell me what’s in that letter but I’m assuming if you’ve probated a will you might have a better idea on what it could be.

——————————————

It was a copy of her will along with paper work from the lawyer stating they are representing my aunt as the executor. And then a copy of the court paper work stating my aunt is the executor (which was mentioned in the will)

I think based on the fact that I now have a copy of the will that things SHOULD go smoothly from here and that they can’t really f**k me over. The court, the lawyer, all 5 aunts, and my other two cousins all should have gotten the same stuff.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No clue.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

It's being contested.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 pm It's being contested.
And that would not surprise me in the least.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm
Probate in my case took almost a year.
Your Grandma hasn't been gone that long. Based on all your family discord, I'm pretty sure it is being contested.
It may be a very long time before you see any of that money, if you get it at all.
Sorry.
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

good luck
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm
Your Grandma hasn't been gone that long. Based on all your family discord, I'm pretty sure it is being contested.
It may be a very long time before you see any of that money, if you get it at all.
Sorry.

Sadly, you’re probably right. The thing that blows my mind is we aren’t talking about a huge sum of money either, not even enough to pay my rent for a year.

Post office says I can pick it up at 7am tomorrow, I’m not even holding my breath it will be there like it should but hopefully I’ll get some answers then.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Sorry.

Sadly, you’re probably right. The thing that blows my mind is we aren’t talking about a huge sum of money either, not even enough to pay my rent for a year.

Post office says I can pick it up at 7am tomorrow, I’m not even holding my breath it will be there like it should but hopefully I’ll get some answers then.
I'm sure her lawyer is being paid out of the estate. That will leave even less money to go around.
Good luck.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I worked for an estate planning & probate lawyer for 5 years in Florida. I think you’re in Texas(?), so your probate won’t be the same, but it should be similar...

In Florida -

-average time to close an estate is 18 months

-heirs were not notified of court dates

-heirs are paid last

-heirs sign and return a “receipt and release of claim” before receiving a check (that one seemed wrong to me, but that’s how it’s done. Same in Ohio, where my grandma died.)

It seems very unlikely to me that it would be a check. Possibly, a copy of the will and/or trust... I believe you are entitled to that by law (though we never sent them unless they requested them.)

In the 5 years I worked there, we never had one contested, so I have no idea what that would entail.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm I worked for an estate planning & probate lawyer for 5 years in Florida. I think you’re in Texas(?), so your probate won’t be the same, but it should be similar...

In Florida -

-average time to close an estate is 18 months

-heirs were not notified of court dates

-heirs are paid last

-heirs sign and return a “receipt and release of claim” before receiving a check (that one seemed wrong to me, but that’s how it’s done. Same in Ohio, where my grandma died.)

It seems very unlikely to me that it would be a check. Possibly, a copy of the will and/or trust... I believe you are entitled to that by law (though we never sent them unless they requested them.)

In the 5 years I worked there, we never had one contested, so I have no idea what that would entail.

Yep, Texas.

Thanks, if course I was hoping for a check just so I can block everyone and move on with my life but I assumed it wouldn’t be one and based on what you said chances are slim it’s a check.
Locked Previous topicNext topic